Insignia - How does she look?

roothy123

Someone should be back from Insignia by now. If so, I'm curious what they thought of the refurbishment. I'm looking forward to the grill at the Terrace (was it crowded?) and the Artist's Loft (was there an artist on board? where is the space - adequate working space?)

Any thoughts?

Someone should be back from Insignia by now. If so, I'm curious what they thought of the refurbishment. I'm looking forward to the grill at the Terrace (was it crowded?) and the Artist's Loft (was there an artist on board? where is the space - adequate working space?)

Any thoughts?

I'm with you. I am ready to see some photos of her.

Someone on our roll call is interested, too. I hope to hear some feedback before we leave in a couple months. Then again, I mostly cruise for the ports, food and service, so what she looks like, and whether there's a great grill or artist's loft or not isn't all that important.

I was hoping there was a review in the review section, but I don't think there is currently a way to post there for Insignia. Wish whoever runs these forums would figure out that Insiginia is back and provide a way to review a cruise on Insignia!

Any thoughts?

Roothy, from what I read on O's blog, it appears that the Artist's Loft was going to be exclusive to the world cruises. Perhaps I mis-read that but they did use the word exclusively!

Donna

Roothy' date=' from what I read on O's blog, it appears that the Artist's Loft was going to be exclusive to the world cruises. Perhaps I mis-read that but they did use the word exclusively!

Donna[/quote']

Oh, thank you. I guess I did see a reference to that somewhere. Oh well. For a 12 night cruise I can live without it, but certainly for a world cruise I would be checking it out!

Oh, thank you. I guess I did see a reference to that somewhere. Oh well. For a 12 night cruise I can live without it, but certainly for a world cruise I would be checking it out!

Same here! Oh, to be on a World Cruise;)

• 1 month later...

I have just returned from the Venice to Rome cruise.

The food was good but not exceptional. the pool furniture is very nice and I do like the double lounges. the tableware( versace) and the flatware and glassware is very stunning

the internet is shot. I was at the back of the ship and it just didn't work at all there or on the back deck . thank goodness I wasn't paying for it

Skype voice did not work at all though Skype message did and I received an email from princess. guess what

it wouldn't open Princess is blocked on the ship!!!

forget the bulgari products I was down to the last tiny thread of soap and shampoo before a new one was given. my husband said there must be a competition to see who can give out the least amount

we had 4 cabins and all had the same problem scant bath products

i would never ever pay for concierge level again I got nothing more than a bottle of cheap french and a blue canvas bag

everything else was the same!

all in all I was underwhelmed.

I will go back to Azamara in future.

the staff were mostly aloof.

didn't notice much else different form the Journey in the form of furnishings.

Edited by tinkky

That's why there are more than one cruise line. I've never sailed Azamara, as I have aleady formed an opinion similar to yours -- I won't like the other line. You're better than me; at least you tried.

I think you are missing a trick here Don and denying yourself of a very good cruise line. I have sailed both and enjoy both but I had a bigger smile when disembarking Azamara as the crew are a step up compared to Oceania.

Nope -- I'm entitled to my own prejudices ;) and am more than happy enough with O. I would not like to go on the A board and post a negative result. Maybe I wouldn't, but why take the chance? O has too much left in store for me.

I guess that makes me an O cheerleader, but then, I'm rarely negative about anyone else's opinion. That's why I gave the OP credit for trying.

Don, I tend to be with you. (Big surprise there.)

I didn't like what Ren did to the R6-R8 ships (by eliminating the Deck 8 suites), and Azamara's changeover to some suites comparable to O's PH as I understand was only half a deck or so, well, I'm not really interested. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I *have* checked them out every so often but didn't find an itinerary that spoke to me. And when I went to their website just the other night they wouldn't give me an easy way to see prices. I have to ask for a quote. Well, I'm not interested in doing so. Especially since I just picked an itinerary to get an idea. It wasn't one we would necessarily have taken.

I find the general approbation of the crew friendliness a positive, but then I have never found O's crew UN-friendly ... and I don't particularly care if I interact with officers or not. I might change my mind if we take a cruise there, but right now it doesn't look likely. DH is more and more reluctant to travel, and I don't have a friend who wants to sail with me, so we're more limited.

So for now we stick with O. That's not to say that I'm not interested in seeing reports on Azamara because I am. Things could always change.

Mura

Don, I tend to be with you. (Big surprise there.)

I find the general approbation of the crew friendliness a positive, but then I have never found O's crew UN-friendly ... and I don't particularly care if I interact with officers or not. I might change my mind if we take a cruise there, but right now it doesn't look likely. DH is more and more reluctant to travel, and I don't have a friend who wants to sail with me, so we're more limited.

So for now we stick with O. That's not to say that I'm not interested in seeing reports on Azamara because I am. Things could always change.

Mura

I'm so glad someone finally said this, as I almost wrote it myself several times. Oceania crew are wonderful, and certainly friendly enough. If you eat on the Terrace a lot as we do, you'll feel it a lot, as that's a more relaxed atmosphere with more opportunity to interact with crew - IF YOU WANT. Our cabin attendants have always been great, although a few are a little shy because they speak with accents. One even hugged me when I saw her a year later on another deck. We usually cruise in inside cabins and the attendants are wonderful. The captain is cordial and professional - all I would want from a Captain. I wouldn't want him trying to chat me up, and I wouldn't want him showing off like the Costa captain did. I could care less where he eats.

OK, I got that off my chest. I love Oceania for some of the things that the OP didn't like (like port-intensive itineraries), and feel they're the best out there, at least of the cruise lines I've tried (Celebrity - very so-so and Princess, same). But of course everyone's different, and I respect that. I'm older, less social, and mostly just interested in cruising as a way to see the world in a short amount of time with the least stress and energy and unpacking. The service, food and friendliness of the crew pale in comparison in importance to me. As was previously mentioned, there are different cruise lines so that everyone can find what works for them. I've found mine, and after 3 lackluster experiences on other lines, I'm about ready to just stick to O from now on.

Off my soapbox now, but just wanted to add that I don't think O's crew members could be considered unfriendly. Professional and respectful yes, unfriendly no. Perfect for me.

Edited by roothy123

Besides which, everyone's experience with crew is different, no on knows what sort of interaction I enjoy, and without casting any aspersions on others, my experience has been that like responds to like.

Obviously, Azamara knows what type of crew relationship some like, and are deliberately skewing themselves in that direction, however artificial. Ocean does something similar, which is to ensure the staff always appears happy. I don't know how they do it, but it works for me.

There are a few here who know how far some of my relationships extend. I didn't ask for it, and I'm sure I don't deserve it, but there it is. I owe a lot to Oceania, and I have no inclination to try anything else. I sincerely hope everyone else is as happy with choice as I am. From the tone of some of the posters, I'm saddened they don't appear so.

I'm getting maudlin in my recuperation...:o

I was on the Black Sea Treasures cruise from May 29 - June 10. I don;t have an extensive cruise experience, so my basis for comparison is low. The ship was nice, I think the public areas received the most attention. No artist in the artist loft. Seemed like a wast of a nice space. Terrace was a little crowded most of the time I was there.

Our state room was nothing special. The were multiple dents, scuffs and scratches in the passageway and room, some of which were evident as having been there a long time. They must not have done much refurb on our deck (7 fore).

I found the staff very friendly and truly the only thing that really made me enjoy the cruise itself (aside from the ports of call of course).

• 4 weeks later...
I think you are missing a trick here Don and denying yourself of a very good cruise line. I have sailed both and enjoy both but I had a bigger smile when disembarking Azamara as the crew are a step up compared to Oceania.

This is certainly true. We have sailed with both Oceania and Azamara both three times. Our worst experience of aloofness was on Riviera where the Master was unfriendly and the officers were not helpful. The rest of the crew are fine on both. But the Captains on both Journey and Quest were outstanding and not intrusive but very informative and the hotel directors likewise. We did meet a very good hotel manager Dominique....on Nautica

Any thoughts?

Did istanbul to Venice recently. The ship is in great shape. While no walls were moved etc, the ship felt like new. Plush carpets, amazing linens, re covered chairs in public areas, modern color palette .

Surprisingly, biggest negative was the food. It was not awful, but if you don't eat pork or shellfish, the menu options were very limited. The speciality restaurants were excellent. Overall, food and especially service on Azamara were far superior.

Did istanbul to Venice recently. The ship is in great shape. While no walls were moved etc, the ship felt like new. Plush carpets, amazing linens, re covered chairs in public areas, modern color palette .

Surprisingly, biggest negative was the food. It was not awful, but if you don't eat pork or shellfish, the menu options were very limited. The speciality restaurants were excellent. Overall, food and especially service on Azamara were far superior.

Agree about the food.

The worst part on Regatta was the "hidden" pork in dishes where it was not mentioned. These were the first cruises after many before on O where we felt uncomfortable ordering anything but the simplist of dishes.

I just got back from Insignia, and didn't find menu options to be limited at all, at least not at the Terrace. I remember chicken, turkey, fish, veal (Osso Bucco on the Terrace was excellent), beef, lamb, pasta/pizza, special food selections (sushi, Asian food) and plenty of things for people who don't eat pork or shellfish. Waves had tuna (although not tunafish), hamburgers, and beef (surf and turf sandwich without the turf!) I realize that not everyone likes circling the wagons at the Terrace, but if you prefer the dining room, they always have salmon, chicken, etc. if you don't like what's on the menu that night.

Edited by roothy123