French toll road Credit Card Hassle

Hlitner

Leave it to the French to make things complicated. Even though we have a Visa Chip/Pin card that works throughout Europe, it is not acceptable on the French Autoroutes. That particular part of the French burocracy does not have an agreement with the European Maestro/Electron network which is used by some Visa and Mastercards. Always wise to have enough cash in case your card falls into this weird hole.

Hank

P.S. Currently driving our way through Provence

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the information. Our CCs always work in the rest of Europe, so never have a problem. We also always have Euros left over from a previous trip.

I'm envious you are in Provence, such a lovely part of the world.

Leave it to the French to make things complicated. Even though we have a Visa Chip/Pin card that works throughout Europe, it is not acceptable on the French Autoroutes. That particular part of the French burocracy does not have an agreement with the European Maestro/Electron network which is used by some Visa and Mastercards. Always wise to have enough cash in case your card falls into this weird hole.

Hank

ent from my iPad using Forums

That is funny, hope it doesnot destroy your plans? Next time drive through The netherlands.

Enjoy, say Hi to kathy.

LOL Ine. Good to hear you are again safely home. Not a major problem for us since we always carry enough Euros for contingencies. But since you bring up the Netherlands, we have a previous issue with Holland. While in Rotterdam we once tried to purchase a train ticket with our old fashioned magnetic strip US credit cards. The train station could not accept our card (we got cash out of a nearby ATM) and they told us that only the Amsterdam Station accepted the magnetic strip cards. One of these days (perhaps in another 5 years) the US will join the rest of the credit card world with all Chip/PIN cards.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I was hoping after the big Target security breach that the pressure to convert to chip and pin credit cards might catch on in the US, but seems to have died down...assume the banks and merchants have more clout and don't want to spend the money to convert even though it is in the consumers best interest..

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

LOL Ine. Good to hear you are again safely home. Not a major problem for us since we always carry enough Euros for contingencies. But since you bring up the Netherlands, we have a previous issue with Holland. While in Rotterdam we once tried to purchase a train ticket with our old fashioned magnetic strip US credit cards. The train station could not accept our card (we got cash out of a nearby ATM) and they told us that only the Amsterdam Station accepted the magnetic strip cards. One of these days (perhaps in another 5 years) the US will join the rest of the credit card world with all Chip/PIN cards.

Hank

I know that problem, it happens at more machines. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the heads up. Do any credit cards work? I thought the chipped cards were what the Europeans use.

In general you will have no problems in shops, theatres, musea etc. But places with machines only - tollroads, traintickets at small(er) stations, parking garages etc. you will need a chip.

Thanks for the heads up. Do any credit cards work? I thought the chipped cards were what the Europeans use.

We did not try our MC, which is not a Chip/Pin. So we are not sure if the toll collector would accept that card. As usual, AMEX is near useless for most day to day use except in major hotels and high-end restaurants. We seldom even try to,use our Amex since not only is it usually rejected, but we see no reason to pay Amex their 2.7% when our other cards charge zero.

Hank

Just a note that many toll roads in France won't accept non-European CCs, even chip and PIN ones. And then it is inconsistent. SE France ones will not accept any of my CCs but the (new) ones between Bordeaux and Bayonne wouldl, but not the ones just outside Bayonne (a different operator).

FWIW, French autoroutes are operated by private concessionaires.

I did a search and the one operator that will consistently not accept non-European CCs is Vinci Autoroutes which has been in business for nearly 60s years and operates 1/2 of France's autoroutes.

Hank

Hank,

the Autoroutes of the Southwest (Bordeaux to Loire) accept only Visa (carte bleu) with the chip. Last September I was the only one of the four of us who had one and I had to pay for all the autoroutes from Angers to Bordeaux and Toulouse. (I took it out of them in wine...)

Edited by marazul

Hank

My experience the last time I was in Amsterdam was that they did not accept our magnetic strip cc at the main train station.

I have a true chip and pin Mastercard issued by USAA, which works well in Europe except in places which won't accept US issued cards (so far, this is the Norwegian Postal Service).

We did not try our MC, which is not a Chip/Pin. So we are not sure if the toll collector would accept that card. As usual, AMEX is near useless for most day to day use except in major hotels and high-end restaurants. We seldom even try to,use our Amex since not only is it usually rejected, but we see no reason to pay Amex their 2.7% when our other cards charge zero.

Hank

I have used my AMEX card all over Europe and it has never been rejected at the places where it is accepted, which are almost all large department stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. I try not to use at as much these days because of the foreign transaction fee.

I have used my AMEX card all over Europe and it has never been rejected at the places where it is accepted, which are almost all large department stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. I try not to use at as much these days because of the foreign transaction fee.

Guess it depends where you eat. We do find that Amex is indeed accepted at major hotels and many smaller hotels, but seldom to ever at B&Bs. But unless you have a Platinum AMEX you are going to pay Amex 2.7% on every foreign currency transaction. We have both a MC and a Visa that are totally fee free and have zero foreign transaction fees, so it makes little sense to use our AMEX. We have been traveling in France (with a rental car) for the past 2 weeks and have only dined in 1 (out of over 20) restaurants that even accepted Amex. We tend to choose the small cute cafes/restaurants (often used by locals) of which few ever accept Amex. As one owner recently explained, when he takes AMEX it costs him more money, it costs the customers more money, and it makes no sense.

And that 2.7% does amount to real money when we are doing lengthy driving trips. Assuming we spend $400 a day on a 30 day trip, our cost would equal $12,000. If I could and would use Amex for all that it would cost me $324 for the privilege of using my Amex. We prefer to spend that $324 on a nice meal or other such items :)

Hank

Take lots of Euros. We did a two week driving tour through western Europe last summer, much of it in France. We spent nearly $400 on tolls. The tolls + cost of fuel (Mercedes station wagon, gas) = car rental fee. It's much easier just to plan to use Euros for tolls.

grandma*knows* best

I live in central London and frequently travel to other European countries and disagree the Amex is accepted in almost all department stores, hotels and restaurants. I don't know any of my European friends who has an Amex card, they are just not popular here. The most popular cards are visa and mastercard.

Many of the replies are off the track of the original subject, which is acceptance of credit cards on toll roads in France

Just returned from France, and can definitely state that the main autoroute in the South, the A8, will not accept a credit card, chip or no chip [perhaps they accept French issued cards]. The only alternative is to pay with cash [don't go through the booths designated "cards"]

Here is my update on the situation. We have now tried 4 different credit cards (1 is a Chip/PIN Visa card) and none will work on the French toll roads (at least in the southern half of the country). This morning we discussed this issue with our hotel manager in Annecy and he was totally confused. His understanding was that any Chip/PIN Visa or MC Card, unless it specifically had a "Mestre" imprint on the front, would word on all the toll roads. He talked to another employee who was also surprised.

So my final word on the situation is that anyone driving a rental car in France should always carry extra Euros for tolls. Keep in mind that French toll roads are quite expensive and a long drive can easily cost you over 30 Euros.

Hank