Disembarking in Papeete? How quickly?

VirtualRain

Pacific Princess gets into Papeete at 6AM on a Wed in January and I'd like to catch the 8:30AM Air France flight to LAX. I know this is tight, but it seems totally doable... Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

In my experience when Princess says it docks at 6AM (or any time), they usually mean it.

As far as getting to the airport, it appears it's about 10min from the pier which means if were among the first off and take our luggage with us, we should still be in line at the checkin counter about 2hrs prior (which I know can be lengthy).

Anything I should know?

Looks like you are counting on being off the ship at 6am or a little after. That could be very optimistic. Local authorities will have to clear the ship before passengers can start getting off. They are unlikely to be real energetic at that hour. I would think 7am would be a more realistic time to start getting passengers off. Then there will be immigration and possibly customs. What would be available if you miss the flight?

What is the earliest flight time that Princess recommends for your cruise? That should give you an idea if you will make this flight. I highly doubt that disembarkation will begin anytime before 8am

Seriously, I would NOT attempt that. No way! I doubt that Princess would recommend it. I know flight times leaving Papeete are kinda sucky. It was midnight or early morning for me back to LA.

Why not enjoy an overnight stay at a nice resort. That's what I did and it worked out great.

Then there will be immigration and possibly customs.

If the ship has already been sailing around French Polynesia before its final stop in Papeete, then there will be no immigration and customs.

Looks like you are counting on being off the ship at 6am or a little after. That could be very optimistic. Local authorities will have to clear the ship before passengers can start getting off. They are unlikely to be real energetic at that hour. I would think 7am would be a more realistic time to start getting passengers off. Then there will be immigration and possibly customs. What would be available if you miss the flight?

This is the real question... How quickly can we get off the ship?

If we can get off shortly after 6AM, it's totally doable. If it's not until 7AM, we will run the risk of not getting there with enough time.

If the ship has already been sailing around French Polynesia before its final stop in Papeete, then there will be no immigration and customs.

This is my understanding as well.

The way I understand it...

- Get off ship - Self disembark (roll our luggage off)

- Walk to port gate - although sometimes you can get a pre booked taxi from ship side

- Take taxi (10min to airport)

- Checkin (counter opens 3hrs prior, closes 1hr prior)

- Security screening

I think the key is checking in and dropping bags at least 60 min prior.

Edited by VirtualRain

This is the real question... How quickly can we get off the ship?

If we can get off shortly after 6AM, it's totally doable. If it's not until 7AM, we will run the risk of not getting there with enough time.

This is my understanding as well.

The way I understand it...

- Get off ship - Self disembark (roll our luggage off)

- Walk to port gate - although sometimes you can get a pre booked taxi from ship side

- Take taxi (10min to airport)

- Checkin (counter opens 3hrs prior, closes 1hr prior)

- Security screening

I think the key is checking in and dropping bags at least 60 min prior.

And the key is also having a taxi actually there when you get off of the ship.

It's your decision, but this is what Princess says:

"Flights must depart Papeete after 11:00 AM"

Thanks. Where did you find that?

At any rate, I suspect that's correct. They want you to have a ridiculous amount of buffer sometimes.

Normally I wouldn't cut it so close, but this airfare leaving in the morning on Air France on Wed. is $1200 vs $2400 for the midnight or another day. I think it's worth a gamble, but would like to hear from some folks that have actually disembarked early in Papeete.

Edited by VirtualRain

IF the ship is coming from Moorea, are you not actually docked at Papeete at 8 PM the night before? We were. They leave Moorea at 4 or 4:30 PM and are back at Papeete at 8 PM. We watched our ship arrive the night before from our hotel before the cruise. At the end of the cruise we were back at 8 PM as well but paid no attention to disembarkations as we still had 22 more days onboard to Hawaii and then Vancouver.

There virtually are no lineups to speak of on Pacific or Ocean Princess. It will come down to when they will begin letting you off.

It was 12 to 15 minutes by taxi to the airport at the most.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

IF the ship is coming from Moorea, are you not actually docked at Papeete at 8 PM the night before? We were. They leave Moorea at 4 or 4:30 PM and are back at Papeete at 8 PM. We watched our ship arrive the night before from our hotel before the cruise. At the end of the cruise we were back at 8 PM as well but paid no attention to disembarkations as we still had 22 more days onboard to Hawaii and then Vancouver.

There virtually are no lineups to speak of on Pacific or Ocean Princess. It will come down to when they will begin letting you off.

It was 12 to 15 minutes by taxi to the airport at the most.

Terry

On this particular cruise the last port of call before Papeete is Bora Bora...

10 Bora Bora, French Polynesia Tuesday, January 6 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

11 Tahiti (Papeete), French Polynesia Wednesday, January 7 6:00 AM

I've been on lots of cruises and I've rarely seen a ship not berth on or before the scheduled time. They are way more reliable than air lines it seems.

Edited by VirtualRain

I've taken the 8:30am Air France flight but I was on the typical 10 day cruise where the ship arrives back into Papeete the night before. The biggest tip I can give you is to book a car that will be waiting for you to take you to the airport.

We got off the ship at 5am and there were NO taxis anywhere. They simply do not come into the port that early. We had to walk into town to try to find a taxi. While it was not far, it was a huge time waster and it was very stressful.

Usually taxis are lined up at a port, but not this one. It was quite unexpected so I thought I should pass that tidbit along.

Edited by southwestgal

Thanks. Where did you find that?

At any rate, I suspect that's correct. They want you to have a ridiculous amount of buffer sometimes.

Normally I wouldn't cut it so close, but this airfare leaving in the morning on Air France on Wed. is $1200 vs $2400 for the midnight or another day. I think it's worth a gamble, but would like to hear from some folks that have actually disembarked early in Papeete.

All you have to do is go in like you're making a booking. Find the ship, sail date, then go to the next page. You'll see the little Airplane/Flight tab. Enter your starting flight city and the information will pop up as to when the last flight is that you should be on for arrival and the earliest flight for departure.

In all of your cruises that the ship arrived on time how many times did the disembarkation start within the hour? I think you are really taking a big gamble to be able to make that early a flight. The price on it is so low for a reason, probably because very few can realistically make it onboard. If you feel you can take the gamble but be sure and have an alternate plan ready if you don't.

So I decided it was too risky. I'm looking at other options. Thanks to everyone who responded! :)

One thing you might consider is staying overnight 1 night, then catching the early flight out the next morning. That's something we were considering when we were planning on this cruise. Good luck in whatever you decide!

I have disembarked in Papeete 3 times. I think it is highly risky. Each time disembarkation did not start until the French Polynesian customs and immigration had arrived. I don't think the walk-offs started until close to eight o'clock AM. I would rather not end a vacation with a panic stricken rush.

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One thing you might consider is staying overnight 1 night, then catching the early flight out the next morning. That's something we were considering when we were planning on this cruise. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Thanks.

For anyone that cares, around the holidays, EZAir has really cheap Air France flights (Half price) to/from Papeete but only on Wednesdays. And, Air France only fly a few days a week to begin with. Tahiti Nui (sp?) flies more frequently but is double the price. So to take advantage of this airfare you really have to plan to arrive/depart on Wed. Morning. I was hoping to do a three week tour (two back-to-back 10-day cruises) but as I've found, it's just too tight on debarkation. So I'm now doing a two week trip that includes a day prior, a 10-day cruise, and three nights post cruise. I think it's the better way to go for a number of reasons.

Thanks.

For anyone that cares, around the holidays, EZAir has really cheap Air France flights (Half price) to/from Papeete but only on Wednesdays. And, Air France only fly a few days a week to begin with. Tahiti Nui (sp?) flies more frequently but is double the price. So to take advantage of this airfare you really have to plan to arrive/depart on Wed. Morning. I was hoping to do a three week tour (two back-to-back 10-day cruises) but as I've found, it's just too tight on debarkation. So I'm now doing a two week trip that includes a day prior, a 10-day cruise, and three nights post cruise. I think it's the better way to go for a number of reasons.

Have a great time.