Breakaway Bermuda 5/25 Sailing- REVIEW

From what I understood, Latitudes did not get priority boarding, only priority check in. Yes, you'll see separate " lanes" for Latitudes check in. I think while security, luggage and check in was smooth as can be, boarding was a little chaotic. My sense is that they were trying to do something new with the odd and even deck thing but that the staff weren't sure how it worked. I checked in around 10:15 and got boarding # 5

At the Manhattan Cruise Terminal the priority boarding is in the numbers you receive as you arrive. If you walk in with others that have never sailed on NCL they will get a much higher number than you will if you are Platinum. (They could still board with you, if they want by turning their number back in)

As a platinum latitude member, I get 1-5 no matter when I get there BEFORE boarding has begun.

Thanks for the info. Having not sailed on NCL in the past, I just assumed that it was like the other lines and had semi-formal nights and one formal night. I have already bought dresses...I may see if I can return them, bc they are both long dresses.

Don't return them if you love the dresses. Freestyle means you can dress up or down. There is a "Norwegian's Night Out" that doesn't require being dressed up but many do.

We usually dress up for dinner in LeBistro no matter what night we go.

Cabins

Overall, I think the cabins were very well laid out and well- designed. I was not a huge fan of Epic so I was really pleased to see how the cabin design evolved. I greatly preferred the bathrooms and the less "roundness" of the bed and room. We had the chance during our trip to experience three cabin types- mini-suite, balcony and studio. The reason we had the mini- suite and the balcony was because of a noise issue. My parents were upgraded to a mini-suite a few weeks before we sailed due to a price drop. They were assigned cabin # 9798 which turned out to sit directly on top of Fat Cats. They were kept awake for two nights straight before they were moved to balcony cabin 12124.

My opinion is that there is absolutely no reason to spend more money on a mini- suite. The room size difference is negligible and while the shower was very nice, to me, definitely not worth a significant price difference.

The balcony room was mostly great. Lots of good storage, good sized bathroom with lots of shelves, good amount of hanging room in the closet. Bed was extremely comfortable. The only negative was that darn balcony. They were really too small and narrow to use comfortably. Other than that, room was great.

The studio was really nice. I enjoyed it very much. Great use of space, ample storage, luggage fit under the bed, great lighting, didn't feel cramped. Bed was wonderful. The only negative was the sink. Because the sink was narrow, the positioning of the large faucet right in the middle of the small sink basically meant water on the floor every time you tried to wash your face. A simple fix of moving the faucet to the corner of the sink would have easily solved this one small problem. But it was only a very minor annoyance. The room was great. I wouldn't hesitate to book it again.

The studio lounge was nice. Great to have another place to sit if you tired of your room. They always had OJ, water, cookies, fruit and cake available plus a wonderful cappuccino machine.

Edited by conandrob240

Service

The service on this cruise was absolutely fantastic. It rivaled Disney. Every employee was warm and helpful and had a big smile on their face. Out of the 100s of people we encountered, I would say a handful were adequate/ average. Everyone else was above and beyond.

This was especially true at the bars and in the dining rooms. The two servers we had at Le bistro! the server at Cagneys, and most of the servers in the dining rooms were stellar. Nothing was a bother, everything we asked for was given without hesitation. On other NCL cruises, I sometimes felt some requests were met with annoyance or a lack of enthusiasm.

Our cabin stewards were great. Really kept the room spotless, stocked a nd always were prompt with cleaning up after us. They did wonderful towel art every night and always took the time to greet us and ask about our fpday even when they were busy.

While we didn't use the kids clubs/ activities on this cruise (but we will when we are back for a family cruise in November), the guy in charge of that team ( I think his name was Jamal) was the warmest, most high energy person I have ever met. He was always jumping around, smiling ear to ear and the kids would swarm around him whenever he came out to lead an activity. It was wonderful to see him so engaged with the kids.

Bermuda : Impressions!

What a gorgeous place! A cross between Exuma Bahamas (water color and powdery sand), Hawaii (surf and rock formations) and South of France/England (buildings in St george, landscape, quiet sophistication, elegance of people). I really enjoyed it. It was a little odd at first since we frequent Jamaica so much- it had some similar features (water, climate, lush greeness) but so many differences. It was quiet, refined, people dressed very conservatively, they were friendly but not very outgoing like the Jamaicans, immaculately clean, every building well- constructed and lovely. It wasn't loud or flashy like other islands. It was peaceful and just lovely.

We really saw all of the island touring on our own. I'll give you some tips and pointers.

Bermuda Transport: don't waste your time with anything but the bus/ ferry pass. So clean, so efficient, so simple. Not worth the cost or hassle of a taxi or taking tour life into your hands on a moped.

Passes: you can buy the 1 or 2 day on the ship. You must buy the 3 day off the ship. I saw no lines at any time to buy the passes. As you exit the ship, still inside the little terminal building, there is an information table with a local woman. You can buy them right here. Or keep walking until you see a smal building to your left before you go straight to head to bus or ferry. They sell them there. Or head to ferry and you'll see a tourism building/ gift shop they have them there. They also have them in a few of the little shops right there before you leave the port area. Not an issue.

Ferries: The ferries are clean, fast and pleasant. They leave when they say they are going to. However, the posted trip times of 20 minutes to Hamilton and 45 to St George are a little inflated. More like 15 to Hamilton and 35 to St George which was a pleasant surprise. They do get crowded. The first ferry to St George on the Thursday (full day) was packed and some people did not get on. Be out there by 9am for the 9:30 ferry. The late afternoon ferry to Hamilton ( for the Weds night party) was also very crowded with a long line. To go to the ferries, walk left as you exit the Horseshoe shaped pier area.

Buses: spotlessly clean, very helpful and pleasant drivers. Routes are very simple. They leave regularly- every 15 minutes or so. The Horseshoe beach bus ( special) comes often and makes very few stops. However, it will get crowded so go out early. The bus drivers drive fast and the roads a re very curvy so you will get bounced around. Line up early, skip a bus that's too full and make sure you get a seat especially if you are older or have issues standing. It is definitely hard to keep your balance standing and holding on to the handrails or loops. You want the #7 or special to the beaches. The #7 to Hamilton and the #10 or 11 Hamilton to St George.

Bermuda: Beaches

We saw Horseshoe Beach, Chaplin Bay, Church Bay, Warwick Long Bay, Jobsons Cove, Elbow Beach, Sandy Bay Beach (north shore) and Tobacco Bay (north shore). I am a beach fanatic. I can tell you just simply not waste your time with any northern beaches. The southern beaches are much, much nicer- jaw- droppingly nicer. Amazing! Until now, my favorite beach in the world is Exuma. But I do think these are even nicer. The softest, most powdery sand you have ever felt. With such a beautiful pink hue to it. Heavenly. Crystal clear water and the way the rocks and coral just out and created the little coves is simply stunning.

Horseshoe Beach- take the bus right here first. There is a steep paved walkway down to the beach- 5-7 minute walk. To go back up ( if you don't do what I describe below), there is a to the top shuttle for $2. There are immaculately clean bathrooms and showers when you reach the beach as well as a concession stand and a place to rent snorkel gear, chairs, umbrellas. We brought our own snorkel gear, a sheet, a few towels and a foldable chair with us and it worked out perfectly since we went to so many beaches.

Horseshoe Beach itself is stunning. The little cove to your right as you enter the beach is amazing. Even though cold, I swam and snorkeled here. Lots of gorgeous fish to see. It will get packed around 10:30 am or so but if you get up and get on a bus around 8 or 8:30am, you truly will have it to yourself for an hour or two. The long beach to the left is also beautiful- so wide and long, beautiful colored water.

If you walk all the way to your left and first follow the trails along the beach, you'll come to a few beautiful little coves where no one sits. So if you want peace and solitudes and don't mind walking, go left after you have an hour at the little cove at Horseshoe to yourself. Then, follow the path up behind you to your right (when facing away from the ocean). If you walk along here, there are great look- out points or if you are brave and fit, you can climb down them to deserted beaches. Keep walking until you come to a parking lot, cross through it and follow the path past the bathrooms. Go a little way and you'll come to another large beach to your right and then go a little further and you'll come to another sheltered cove almost as nice as Horseshoe- Jobsons. Spend some time here. Keep walking on the path still headed away from Horseshoe and in a few steps you'll come to Warwick Long Bay. Gorgeous beach. Longer than Horseshoe, wider and pretty, pretty water.

Tip: The walk back to the road for the bus is much less steep here and if you are headed back to the ship, you'll get on before all the throngs at Horseshoe so you'll have a seat.

What we did on Day one and day 3 was bus early to Horseshoe and then walk the path to Warwick as described, bus back to ship from there. It worked out perfectly. The path I describe between Horseshoe and Warwick is not marked but it is a pretty clear path mostly in the sand. It takes about 20 minutes to walk from Horseshoe to Warwick if you don't stop and it is a relatively easy walk with just a few inclines and a little bit of challenge in some Sandy parts of the path that aren't packed down.

On Day 2, we did St George first via ferry and then we bused back, getting out at various beaches along the way back to the ship. Elbow Beach was really gorgeous as well but, IMO, not more so than Horseshoe and all the beaches leading up to Warwick along the path. If I went back again, I'd stick to visiting only the beaches between Horseshoe and Warwick.

I am going to try to see if I can post some beach pics in the next segment. I was having trouble yesterday.

More About BERMUDA

so, as described on Day 1, we headed to Horseshoe on an early bus, walked the path, bus back to ship from Warwick bus stop. Later that day, we took the ferry to Hamilton ( maybe around 3pm). Quick ferry ride, not crowded (yet, got crowded as we were coming back for Hamilton Nights). We walked a round the town for about an hour. Curate town. Saw the pretty churches, Thea do table post office, browsed in a few shops. People were friendly, streets were clean, people dressed very proper ( no teens had their butts hanging out- LOL). We stayed about 90 minutes and headed back. While quaint and clean and pretty, not much to do there if you weren't eating and not all that interested in shopping.

Day 2, we ferried to St George early. Walked around there for an hour or two. Beautiful little town. So quality so chic, so clean. Saw the old church and the town center with the re- enactment, walked around the Deliverance ship. Took a taxi to Tobacco Bay which we decleared nowhere ear as pretty as horseshoe. Got on a # 11 bus headed to Hamilton. Got out at Sandy Bay beach - very windy and rough, lots of seaweed and not as nice as south shore beaches.got back on a us to Hamilton, changed to #7 and got out at Elbow Beach. This one was a bit of a walk along the street, past the private drives and the hotel- follow the signs. Down a few flights of stairs. Very pretty beach. We stayed about an hour and packed it in to head back to the ship because it was very windy that day. I liked the way we did it ( sans the extra beach stops) because we got to see the whole island but weren't stuck on a us for hours. It was a very scenic drive and the bus between St George and Hamilton was empty.

Day 3- Horseshoe beach and path to Warwick again for a few hours. Walked around the dockyard a bit.

All in all, a great experience. I'd definitely return to Bermuda but probably on a cruise again or for a long weekend since it was absolutely incredibly expensive.

Beach fanatic here, too!

Loving your review. Thanks so much for sharing with us. Your pix are stunning.

Looking forward to reading more.

30 days until our turn :)

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Loved the way you hit the south shore beaches. Thanks for those tips. They definitely will help us out on our cruise in a few weeks.

Question: How did you bring your folding beach chair? It sounds like a good idea for doing the walk from Horseshoe to Warwick Long Bay. The sheet is also a good tip for laying out on the sand.

I sent the link to your review to my sister so she can read it. We are cruising together with her family. I wanted her to have a preview of Bermuda since she's never been and I thought your review was so well done she would be able to get a feel from it for our beach days.

Thank you again.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

More About BERMUDA

Day 2, we ferried to St George early. Walked around there for an hour or two. Beautiful little town. So quality so chic, so clean. Saw the old church and the town center with the re- enactment, walked around the Deliverance ship.

What time did they do the reenactment?

Thanks for your wonderfully detailed review and pictures! :)

Sorry, I don't know exactly what time they do the re-enactment in the town square in St george. Hadn't planned to see it, it was just happening soon after we got off the ferry.

Mimi, did you enjoy? Di you have good weather?