Teachers

Iust found out our calendar changed for next year and subsequent years. We lost our spring break and fall break that were both in off peak times...They also added 8 days to our school year. I now only have the month of July and 1 week in August off after this summer with no additional compensation.

I'm confused. The school year was only extended by 8 days, yet your summer break is now only 5 weeks and you have no fall break and no spring break. Is your Christmas break 6 weeks long or something? Or is this some kind of year-round type school where students attend far more than the usual 180 days? :confused:

If teachers were given a discount because they can only travel during school breaks, wouldn't the same apply to any family with a school age child who can also only travel during school breaks?

I'm not sure I see the reason why teachers should be given a special discount :confused:

Many teachers have school aged children too. Would we get a double discount then? :p

There are businesses that offer teacher discounts, I take advantage of them whenever they are offered. The OP's question is not as outrageous as some folks seem to think, judging from the responses.

I'm always amazed at the passive hostility that often erupts on threads like this. There are state discounts, repeat traveler discounts, AAA discounts, single traveler discounts, Costco discounts, etc, etc. As someone already mentioned, teachers are just a target group that could also be offered a discount. For some reason, when a teacher discount is mentioned, it becomes a debate. Plus everyone suddenly has a teacher in their family, especially those that think teachers don't deserve any discounts!

I book through Costco and get pretty good deals through them, but I wouldn't hesitate to take any other discounts I qualified for- including a teacher discount.

I am also a teacher and always in need of a cruise :) Celebrity does offer a teacher discount, but it's only offered at various times of the year. I wish RC would follow suit!

You are kidding right? You are a teacher and always are in need of a cruise? You wish RCCL would offer teacher discounts?

Wow talk about the land of denial. Your three months off and what 28 other holidays should also entitle you to a break that the rest of us don't get. Wow

You are kidding right? You are a teacher and always are in need of a cruise? You wish RCCL would offer teacher discounts?

Wow talk about the land of denial. Your three months off and what 28 other holidays should also entitle you to a break that the rest of us don't get. Wow

Prodding the bee's nest. Good luck. As a teacher myself, I laugh at this comment, but will sit back and enjoy the reaction that is so deserving.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I teach at an urban charter, we just found out our calendar changed for next year and subsequent years. We lost our spring break and fall break that were both in off peak times, which allowed our students to visit family in various Caribbean and Latin American countries. They also added 8 days to our school year. I now only have the month of July and 1 week in August off after this summer with no additional compensation. It will make cruising, and any vacation, very expensive since those are the peak 5 weeks of travel. So glad I have saved up for two years to travel on the Allure with my parents this summer! A teacher discount would be a wonderful treat, but it is not something I would expect. I guess I will just have to save for many years for my next trip!

Let me get this right, you now only get five weeks vacations in addition to countless holidays and therefore a discount would be a wonderful treat? How nice for you. I only get three weeks vacation and work six days a week through Christmas so what kind of a discount should I reasonably expect?

Have many educators in my family and truly think it's an admirable profession but don't understand why RCCL should offer a discount due to the "limited time frame" ?

Worked in the private sector and I too had a limited window of time in which to take vacations and never received a discount nor felt entitled to one. I looked for cruises that offered a resident discount. It takes constantly checking but have gotten it more often than not.

I'm not a teacher but I do think it's different for teachers because unlike other professions they do not have the option to take a vacation during the school year. Not to mention the fact that while they are highly educated, they work like slaves and are treated like slaves by some of these kids. I think they definitely deserve a discount.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I think educators should get the exact same discount offered the parents of school age children who can only cruise during the peak summer months without pulling them out of school at the risk of several unexcused absences.

Oh, wait...they already do.

Not really since the parent of a school age child will only have that school age child for 12 years. After that you will be free to cruise anytime. The teacher whose career typically lasts between 20 and 40 years must pay as much as twice the price for their cruises.

If you were going to have to pay twice the rate for your cruises, while typically earning only about half what people do in other professions requiring equal education, for your entire 30-40 year career, you might reconsider whether or not teachers deserve a discount.

Edited by Jana60

Wow, I have switched careers, after 25 years in private sector (sales) I became a teacher at the young age of 53, I might have thought yiur comment humorous a few years ago, but I have not worked this hard or diligentlt in my life, and I enjoyed every minute (well the 10th graders, not the admins - another story), toss in coaching football and to be honest, for the pay some time off is nice. Work in a title one school may change your mind. (Oh and I sure miss all those company perks like pens, pencils, etc and a copier that works)!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

Teacher discount? Why yes I do deserve one if I do say so myself :D. But unfortunately, I take a few days off, let my kids take off a few days from school and sports, and pay full price to sail at Thanksgiving week. I do envy and also enjoy hearing about everyone else's discounts and hope one day I can enjoy one too!

I was a teacher - to 16-18 year olds. It is a really hard job. No denying. But it's no harder than a lot of jobs. If its too hard, do something else. Very transferable skills.

What many do find, however, is that other occupations are not as flexible as teachers may think. You cannot take time off just when you want to in industry, there is often less flexibility, and I believe annual leave is even less in the states than in the UK within some sectors.

UK employees have 4 weeks a year annual leave. A lot less than teachers. You must have to work out what your priorities are and how you want to live your life. You can't get compensation for being a teacher ....

I feel for you for sure. Yes, you work hard, and some of the extra hours are not noticed by many outsiders I am sure. Being restricted to school holidays would make your holidays twice as expensive wherever you go.

I doubt any discount would make much of a dint in the premium charged, but I am sure it would be a feel good thing to have received some OBC at least?

We all like to feel like we got a special or an extra of some sort. You can only put it out there and you never know! :)

Anyone ever heard of RC offering any type of educators discount? I have cruised every July for the last eight summers on RC and always end up talking with four or five other teachers. I guess we teachers all recharge on peace, quiet and blue water:) As a teacher, I can sail in a six-seven week window from mid-June to the end of July due to school scheduling. No flaming please but cruising at Christmas is not an option with family and sometimes as few as 10 days off and well, spring break cruising (with your students and their families) kind of defeats the peace and quiet aspect. So really the only doable time a majority of teachers can cruise is during peak price summer season;just wondering if RC has ever offered anything for us....

Teachers definitely should get a break! Without teachers where would most of us be right now. Just like our military, firemen/women, and police officers, when you see them, THANK them.

Now on another note, RCCL does not offer any as of yet but maybe they may read this post and think about it.

We just got a steal of a deal on the Enchantment for $159 for four nights. Inside qty but who cares. It's a cruise get-a-way, with not cleaning, running errands or cooking. DEAL to me 6/9 sailing.:D:D:D

How about nurses. Where would we be without nurses that work 7 days a week 24 hrs a day no summers off no holidays off. Come on guys we all have jobs or professions. I have been an emergency room nurse for many years. Its the profession I chose I don't expect something special!!!! For saving your life or your families life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Anyone ever heard of RC offering any type of educators discount? I have cruised every July for the last eight summers on RC and always end up talking with four or five other teachers. I guess we teachers all recharge on peace, quiet and blue water:) As a teacher, I can sail in a six-seven week window from mid-June to the end of July due to school scheduling. No flaming please but cruising at Christmas is not an option with family and sometimes as few as 10 days off and well, spring break cruising (with your students and their families) kind of defeats the peace and quiet aspect. So really the only doable time a majority of teachers can cruise is during peak price summer season;just wondering if RC has ever offered anything for us....
Nor have I ever heard of it. So many professions could claim the same issue or another issue for a discount. Don't see your justification sorry. And as a stockholder I would have to disagree with a discount with the exception of military or law enforcement, JMHO.....:)

Not really since the parent of a school age child will only have that school age child for 12 years. After that you will be free to cruise anytime. The teacher whose career typically lasts between 20 and 40 years must pay as much as twice the price for their cruises.

If you were going to have to pay twice the rate for your cruises, while typically earning only about half what people do in other professions requiring equal education, for your entire 30-40 year career, you might reconsider whether or not teachers deserve a discount.

That is why you so richly deserve a 180 day work week, I mean year plus pensions the rest of us grunts can only dream about and of course free health care for life including your spouse.

Twice as much? You need to find a different TA

Edited by Redman1947

What school system gets 3 months off? And 28 holidays? What are the 28 holidays? Clearly, you do not know what you are talking about. Contrary to popular belief, teachers in most school systems are actually paid PER DIEM. Teachers get paid per day and are NOT paid for holidays or summers. In many school systems, teachers unions negotiate with the town to have teachers' pay stretched out through the summer because this makes it fiscally and financially easier for the town, so to some uninformed people it may seem like teachers are getting paid in the summer but that is certainly NOT the case. Teachers get paid for the days they work, just like everybody else. Get your facts straight.

I watched this thread surface yesterday and hoped it wouldn't head down this road. Whenever teachers are brought into a discussion, it almost immediately turns into a bashing of the profession verses the private sector (pay, days off, job stress, work load, etc.).

The bottom line is Royal Caribbean does not offer discounts to educators, therefore, it should end here before is spirals even more off topic!

Looking forward to a vacay in paradise. Those traveling this summer, travel safely! :)

That is why you so richly deserve a 180 day work week, I mean year plus pensions the rest of us grunts can only dream about and of course free health care for life including your spouse.

Twice as much? You need to find a different TA

You have a great deal of hostility towards teachers. I hope you understand that teachers PAY into their pension funds, and therefore, are merely getting back the money they invested. Also,in most states teachers are not entitled to social security benefits or medicare at 65. If YOU have been paying social security, then you certainly will have SS payments AND medicare FOR LIFE upon reaching 65. I do not know what the case is in New Jersey, but in Connecticut teachers DO NOT get free health care for life. In Connecticut, once a teacher retires, the teacher must pay for health insurance.

What school system gets 3 months off? And 28 holidays? What are the 28 holidays? Clearly, you do not know what you are talking about. Contrary to popular belief, teachers in most school systems are actually paid PER DIEM. Teachers get paid per day and are NOT paid for holidays or summers. In many school systems, teachers unions negotiate with the town to have teachers' pay stretched out through the summer because this makes it fiscally and financially easier for the town, so to some uninformed people it may seem like teachers are getting paid in the summer but that is certainly NOT the case. Teachers get paid for the days they work, just like everybody else. Get your facts straight.

Wrong!!! Teachers salaries are calculated based on a 12 month schedule but played over 10 months and what the posted meant about the holidays is holiday weeks. My son and wife are teachers I have been a school board trustee for 18 yrs and know what I am talking about. I for one embrace teachers but stop with the self deprication. Teachers in most States and I say most are well compensated. I am an er nurse with no pension work all holidays go in to work in blizzards while my house phone rings and my wife is told to stay home.

While I am not a "teacher" I am an assistant in a special education school. I have been for 13 years. So I am full time and have the same schedule. Our breaks have been cut, we have 3 days for Easter, and 2 days for teacher conversation. We can NOT take unpaid leave ( I tryed that one lol), so summer is it . Although I have twice squeezed in a February 5 night by using president's weekend and a personal day or 2. I would love to get a break on price. I pay into the teachers union so I think I should count too :)

The union negotiating with the cruise lines now, too?

Wrong!!! Teachers salaries are calculated based on a and what the posted meant about the holidays is holiday weeks. My son and wife are teachers I have been a school board trustee for 18 yrs and know what I am talking about. I for one embrace teachers but stop with the self deprication. Teachers in most States and I say most are well compensated. I am an er nurse with no pension work all holidays go in to work in blizzards while my house phone rings and my wife is told to stay home.

I am not nor have ever been a teacher, so I am not engaging in self deprecation. What the "posted" meant? I only know what he wrote. In Connecticut and most states, teachers' salaries are PER DIEM. Many TEACHERS do not even realize that their contracts say this. I do not know where you live, but the "12 month schedule but played over 10 months" comment makes no sense.

Most are well compensated? Opinions differ.

As for blizzards... school days are cancelled during blizzards out of concerns for the safety of CHILDREN and not for the convenience of teachers. As a "school board trustee for 18 yrs" surely you knew this.

Edited by existentialtraveler

Nor have I ever heard of it. So many professions could claim the same issue or another issue for a discount. Don't see your justification sorry. And as a stockholder I would have to disagree with a discount with the exception of military or law enforcement, JMHO.....:)

And even then those discounts are offered when the cruise lines have ships to fill not during peak travel seasons.

I am not nor have ever been a teacher, so I am not engaging in self deprecation. What the "posted" meant? I only know what he wrote. In Connecticut and most states, teachers salaries are PER DIEM. Many TEACHERS do not even realize that their contracts say this. I do not know where you live, but the "12 month schedule but played over 10 months" comment makes no sense.

Most are well compensated? Opinions differ.

As for blizzards... school days are cancelled during blizzards out of concerns for the safety of CHILDREN and not for the convenience of teachers. As a "school board trustee for 18 yrs" surely you knew this.

For not understanding what I meant regarding salary PD over 10 months let me clarify it for you. If the average teacher earns 68000 annually this is amortized over a 10 month period or can be PD over 12 months depending on the district. I do understand about the snow but the concern for the students is one thing but then teachers should go to school and do planning etc during those snow days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for a most lively discourse on the topic of:

"Should teachers get a discount from cruise lines simply because they can't take time off when the rest of us can" (he said gritting his teeth)

Every state and municipality is different but I think we can all agree that teachers are underpaid and over worked (or is it the other way around, I keep forgetting) and have better pensions and health care compared to the vast majority of Americans.

Stay tuned for next weeks topic:

"Should tenured teachers get a bigger discount than regular teachers".

Don't miss it!