elderly uncle

algebra

I have a dear elderly, widowed uncle who has not been on a real vacation in several years (he traveled a lot in his working years) and has never been on a cruise. He's fascinated by stories of my good times on cruises. I'm considering asking him if he would like to go on one. He's well into his 80s and like many his age, takes a variety of medications. He has to use a walker to get around. He is reasonably active - just at a slow pace. I was thinking maybe a week-long cruise to Bermuda on Celebrity. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Do you think this is a good idea? Or an awful idea? Any advice? Many thanks in advance. :)

I think it's a very sweet idea. I went with my mother-in-law a couple of years ago. She was in her early 80's and used a cane or walker.

I just went with a different mindset. I was cruising with her and not taking my "usual" cruise. Everything was at a slower pace and centered around what she could/would or couldn't/wouldn't do.

Go and have a good time making memories.....

Welcome to Cruise Critic! It's very wonderful for you to take your uncle on a cruise; good for you!

A quick question about Bermuda, as I don't know whether you've been there. Getting around the island is typically via bus and/or ferry. Will your uncle be able to get on and off those conveyances?

Edited by Turtles06

Such a nice idea. I would, however, recommend a cruise when normal schools are in session. During a "holiday" cruise in the Caribbean, our ship was over run with kids on the loose - in the hallways, the MDR, the library, etc. There were very few attempts by parents or ship security to "slow" them down.

Enjoy a cruise at your uncle's speed and from his perspective; you might be surprised how enjoyable that can be.

I think it's a great idea but it ultimately depends on what you plan to do with him on the cruise. Are you prepared to hang out with him and take him into Hamilton or St George?

If you are then I'd say great. If not, please ensure he is comfortable hanging out on his own on board. Also, please ensure he is healthy/mobile enough to not be a concern to other passengers/staff.

I'd love to take my dad on a cruise but at this point in his life I fear he would simply sit around the ship all day long and be bored. He is not as mobile as he would like and I doubt he'd be willing to come ashore with us and "slow us down". In theory taking him on a cruise would be great, but in reality I don't think so.

Not that your intent is to have the crew take care of him while you are off enjoying yourself, but there have been stories about that happening with the expected results.

My uncle went on his first cruise in his late 70's and was thrilled with the whole experience! I think the Bermuda cruise is a great idea because you can easily drive to Bayonne from Pennsylvania. You may want to rent a scooter for the week. This would give your uncle more mobility. If he decides not to use it- no biggy but I would rent one. He probably can't project what a cruise is like.

For a newbie to a cruise- I highly recommend booking low and midship. If you do a balcony make sure it isn't higher than deck seven (deck 6 is not the best deck because you see lifeboats) and make sure it is midship. The ship will feel huge to a person with limited mobility. That's why I suggest the scooter or a wheelchair.

As for Bermuda- I doubt he is much of a beach comber at his age but you can easily take the ferry to Hamilton. It is smooth as glass and easy to get on especially with a wheelchair.

If he can go up and down a couple steps- he will be fine on bus tours of the island. Our favorite place was the Aquarium/Zoo which can be reached via the ferry to Hamilton and then it is a short taxi ride from there. He might like to see the Dolphins ($10 entrance fee) which a 1/4 mile walk from where the Summit docks (again this is where a wheelchair or scooter will come in handy).

My favorite Bermuda moment on Summit was the early morning sail in to Bermuda. It was spectacular. The Captain circled the island (the port side- left when facing the bow- is probably the best side to be on).

One of the best moments on our Summit cruise

I think that's a wonderful idea! I hope my neices and nephews will be so thoughtful and kind to me in my later years! Other posters have given great advice about ensuring your Uncle will be able to enjoy himself off the ship. The ship will dock in Bermuda, which is great, so your Uncle will not need to to use tenders (which might have been impossible, anyway), and if you book excursions where you board a bus from the dock area, and which do not have much walking involved, you should be fine. I believe it's also an M-Class ship that goes to Bermuda, which will have three banks of elevators, versus two on S-Class ships, meaning less walking for your Uncle to get to an elevator. I'm sure you'll all have a great time!

You are a very nice Neice/Nephew...are you planning to go with

him? Is he able to get along on his own or is this a "family cruise"?

I went to Bermuda with my mother who used a walker. I rented a transport wheelchair. Walking around the ship may be too much using a walker. There is a shopping area where the ships dock. It was easy to push my mother in the wheelchair around this area. There are also taxicabs at the dock. I hired a taxi and the driver took us all around the island and gave us a very nice sightseeing tour. He put the wheelchair in the back of his taxi. We also took the ferry to Hamilton. Again, this was very easy using a wheelchair.

Lots of people with mobility issues on cruises. Are you going with anyone else, or just you two? I went with my 88-year old mom (who uses a cane) and my partner. He is not exactly thrilled to be walking at a slow pace with mom, so he just meets us at where we planned to go on the ship. Also I took a trip to the caves with him only which he greatly enjoyed.

Thank you all for your help and insights. You have give me some wonderful advice and some things to consider that I had not thought about. Just to add more information - I am a niece, and it would be a trip just for my uncle and me. I figure we would get adjoining rooms so we would each have some privacy, but I would be close at hand to help when needed. I would plan on spending my time with him and try to find things he would enjoy. I think getting a scooter or wheelchair is an excellent idea, but he might be hard to convince. He has not lost his stubbornness gene! :):D

Thanks again. It sounds like with proper planning, this might be doable and work out well.

Happy sailing,

Algebra

Explain to him that by being in a wheelchair he will get priority boarding and he won't have to stand in lines and that sort of thing. I know what you mean though. My father is stubborn and rather than using a wheelchair he just opts out of so many things that I know he would enjoy because the walking is too much. One year I injured my leg and my son asked if it would be easier if we got a wheelchair. I was moving at a snail's pace in pain and said yes- Wow! what a relief it was. It got us around the airport so much faster. I know now that when I can't get around as fast- I'll be happy with a wheelchair.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Please keep in mind if only one person is staying in a cabin there is a "single supplement fee", which can be as much as twice as much. E.g. if you see the cruise fare is $1000 per person, it is meant for 2 person in the same cabin, so that cabin will cost $2000. If one person is staying in that cabin instead, they may have to pay the full $2000 (or usually a bit less).

Some cruise lines have solo cabins. See http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419

When you get to be a senior, experiences are so much more appreciated than more "stuff." You'll make memories you'll both treasure.

Bermuda is such a good destination because the ship spends a few days there, so neither you nor your uncle will feel rushed to see everything in a few hours. And following his slower pace will give you a chance to absorb the island in greater detail.

Thank you all for your help and insights. You have give me some wonderful advice and some things to consider that I had not thought about. Just to add more information - I am a niece, and it would be a trip just for my uncle and me. I figure we would get adjoining rooms so we would each have some privacy, but I would be close at hand to help when needed. I would plan on spending my time with him and try to find things he would enjoy. I think getting a scooter or wheelchair is an excellent idea, but he might be hard to convince. He has not lost his stubbornness gene! :):D

Thanks again. It sounds like with proper planning, this might be doable and work out well.

Happy sailing,

Algebra

One more thing make sure the trip is insured.

Is there a specific reason why you would choose Bermuda? Are you local and can go straight to ship without getting on a plane? Reason I ask is the Atlantic tends to be really rough and choppy. For his first cruise at that age I would say that is another factor to consider. But regardless, I think it's a really nice thing to do!

The mobility motorized scooter is really a "must" not a nice to have, especially if he uses a walker. Ships are large, the scooter would give him a sense of independence as well. BIL used one on last cruise & was amazed at how much more energy he had (he said it was the sea air...). There is a tab on the Celebrity web page called mobility at sea that will give you more info. If you're thinking adjoining rooms I'd suggest a suite that you share might be less expensive & include a few more perks that he'd really enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk