Dreaded Dress Code Question

Ryancoke

If formal requires at least a 'dark suit', how dark is dark? I'm not asking what can I get away with? But what is appropriate? Navy blue OK? Dark grey? Pin stripes with a dark base? No flames requested. Any polite responses welcome.

Edited by Ryancoke

If formal requires at least a 'dark suit', how dark is dark? I'm not asking what can I get away with? But what is appropriate? Navy blue OK? Dark grey? Pin stripes with a dark base? No flames requested. Any polite responses welcome.

I think any of those are appropriate. When you see and hear what some people try to get away with on formal night, any suit is okay.

My DH usually takes his dark grey suit and always looks well put together.

Edited by Daisyloo

Thanks all. I'm going suit shopping this week. Big sale+loyalty discount=75% off likely inflated price.
That sounds like a sweet deal.

The suit I wear is a medium grey with pinstripe that I bought for my son's wedding.

The only person with a coat I've seen really stand out was a man with a light tan (beige) sport coat. Any of the colors you mentioned will work nicely.

I want to get a camo suit like on Duck Dynasty and wear it.

Camo suit jacket, red and yellow plaid pants, and flourescent lime green sneakers! :D

Jim (sadly, not the outfit I'll be wearing next week...)

My hubby has a grey suit (with a subtle tweedish pattern) that he wears to every formal night. With a dress shirt and tie, it will pass muster with any head waiter on Princess.

There was a guy (I think in his 60s/70s) who didn't bother with a jacket or tie, but wore a solid color dress shirt (but colors like mustard) at the formal nights on our last cruise.

Since there are guys dining with just long sleeve shirts on & no jacket I doubt they would question any color or style of jacket. ;)

Actually, this is quite true.

Formal nights "ain't what they use to be". :D

LuLu

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

•Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men"

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Is it always observed? No.

Most head waiters are very "liberal" about enforcing the rules.

A long sleeve shirt w/tie will "usually" be allowed entry.

Any of those suit choices would be fine.

Thoughtful of you to keep the formal dress guidelines in mind when you shop for a suit.

Choose something that looks good on you and that you can wear for other occasions.

A classic suit is a good item to have in your wardrobe.

As far as camouflage tuxes-do they make them?

Only a matter of time,I guess! LOL!!

Any of those suit choices would be fine.

Thoughtful of you to keep the formal dress guidelines in mind when you shop for a suit.

Choose something that looks good on you and that you can wear for other occasions.

A classic suit is a good item to have in your wardrobe.

As far as camouflage tuxes-do they make them?

Only a matter of time,I guess! LOL!!

Yes they do make them. Only a matter of time before they show up on the ship of your choice.

Please go to camoformal.com to see. They make women's formal clothes too.

Edited by Potstech

Hi

For the last two years I have gone to dinner on a formal night without wearing any trousers (pants) at all, and have had no problem whatsoever.

I must admit though, I was wearing full Highland formal wear...........complete with kilt!!!!!

I am a fan of formal night and I appreciate those that follow the guidelines so we can all enjoy a nice "fancy" evening. That being said, my husband just purchased a beautiful summer suit (light tan), shirt, tie. Do you think that is an offensive break of the dress code? He has a dark suit, but was excited to wear his new suit. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a fan of formal night and I appreciate those that follow the guidelines so we can all enjoy a nice "fancy" evening. That being said, my husband just purchased a beautiful summer suit (light tan), shirt, tie. Do you think that is an offensive break of the dress code? He has a dark suit, but was excited to wear his new suit. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can enjoy the night no matter what color jacket he wears.