Change from C1 to FOV on M-class

wintersun

Would you change from C1 aft to FOV on M-class? The price would increase $400 total on Summit southern route. Worried about lines getting on and off the ship and losing priority boarding. Comments / pros and cons... Thanks

Would you change from C1 aft to FOV on M-class? The price would increase $400 total on Summit southern route. Worried about lines getting on and off the ship and losing priority boarding. Comments / pros and cons... Thanks

Absolutely if it were a corner FOV--those cabins are to die for!

You have no more priority getting off the ship in a C1 than anyone else, so that's not an issue. As for priority boarding, that's mostly a fiction too. Just pick the shortest line.

Priority boarding at embarkation is probably not much of an issue. There are so many groups that are promised priority boarding (suites, Aqua, Concierge, Elite, Elite +, Zenith, handicapped) that well over 50% of the ship will have priority boarding. Meaning, in essence, that nobody will have it. Just pick the shortest line when you get into the terminal.

As to getting on and off the ship at ports, Concierge Class doesn't have any particular priority there, so you won't be losing anything.

On disembarking, again, all the subgroups mentioned above will have a designated meeting place to wait until your number is called. Concierge Class doesn't rate anything particularly special.

We did this same exact thing on out last Summit cruise in April. It was well worth it. For us, the price was even. The cabin is larger and there is no comparison with the balcony if you get the corner. A little windier though since you are not protected on both sides.

The only downside was we lost the extra points and the room service breakfast menu. The last two nights of the cruise we were able to get our attendant to give us the concierge menu. DH was still disappointed since they took the regular serving of lox off the menu since our last sailing. You still could get it but it was part of something as I recall.

We never had to wait in line at all or on any of our other summit cruises for that matter. We always get to the port early so we're one of the first ones through the doors and there's never a wait in any of the lines.

I'll say it depends on how much you value the larger cabin and balcony. Losing Concierge benefits are not huge, IMO, and the comments have already been made vis a vis priority boarding. The cabin size and balcony on an aft C1 are plenty for me, and I don't know that I'd pay an extra $400 for the FV. The itinerary is port-intensive, so how much time will you be spending in the cabin and balcony?

The corner FV cabin (well, balcony) is fantastic. We've changed twice from a C1 to an FV - first time no price change, second time a price drop of several hundred dollars. The first cruise was through the Panama Canal and the second had a lot of sea days, so in both cases we made really good use of the balcony.

Having said that I'm not sure I would pay $400 extra if it's a port intensive cruise and you'll be off the ship a lot.