Order of succession - Who's number 2

HamOp

HAL might be requesting a Master's License but it is not common (for Canada Merchent Marine anyway) but I AM very surprised as the training to become Captain or Chief Engineers are very different and I can't see them doing both.

How so? What is the breakdown of the different department responsibilities?

Yes, I know the Engine room as ship controls and you can even ''control'' ship movements directly from the bowels of the ship (don't remember the name of that place in English) but one would put a pair of headphone and the captain would instruct this person which way to steer. If you are getting there, things are NOT GOING WELL :D

HAL might be requesting a Master's License but it is not common (for Canada Merchent Marine anyway) but I AM very surprised as the training to become Captain or Chief Engineers are very different and I can't see them doing both.

But it might be different in other countries; I was just talking about how it works where I work (Canada).

Or maybe those people have Master's License for small ships (MUCH easier to get) but then decided to go for the Chief Engineer Training... I don't know and if someone knows I'll be very interested to read about that.

The big difference between the Dutch and English nautical schools/academies is that the Dutch officer cadets are taught both the Nautical and the Technical sides in school and will work both during their internship onboard. At the conclusion of their four years, they can select which side they prefer to work. Most Dutch officers have therefor, at one time, worked on the Bridge and on the "dark side" ;) The Brits, and most other countries, have to pick a "side". Nautical or Engineering, before they begin their 4-year study

The big difference between the Dutch and English nautical schools/academies is that the Dutch officer cadets are taught both the Nautical and the Technical sides in school and will work both during their internship onboard. At the conclusion of their four years, they can select which side they prefer to work. Most Dutch officers have therefor, at one time, worked on the Bridge and on the "dark side" ;) The Brits, and most other countries, have to pick a "side". Nautical or Engineering, before they begin their 4-year study

So does HAL require its senior officers to have the same background (nautical and technical) if they had their education in other countries?

And what are the parameters of the Nautical and Technical disciplines?

Thank you for giving all of the details. When there are extremely rough seas does the Captain/Master always take charge of the bridge?

When the Costa ship was shipwrecked on the rocks and sank, who was at watch on the bridge? I thought it was the captain.

Edited by Susie51

Officer of the Watch (OOW) are instructed to call the Captain if they experience bad weather (usually the Captain will say at which Wind Force and/or wave height to call him). The Captain is also to be called prior arrival in port and will also command the vessel out of port to a safe route. He can also ask to be called at any point in the route where that might be hazardous.

I don't know about the Costa Concordia; I have not read the detailed reports and don't know if the Captain was supposed to be on the bridge at this specific place but since there was big rock close by, he PROBABLY was supposed to be there... only assumptions.