Ncl Jewel Health Problem April 2014

tonylj

My wife and I along with another couple were on the Panama Canal cruise from New Orleans. We are all in our sixties. Overall we enjoyed the cruise. The transit of the Panama Canal was a great experience. In Chabo San Lucas I signed up for a 5 hour fishing trip. Four of us were on a boat trolling for marlins. A 150 lb marlin was caught on the trip and it took all 4 of us 40 minutes to land it. A guy from Chicago wanted to have it mounted and shipped back home so he paid the $1500 fee to have it sent back home. That was a great fishing trip for me. Now the bad part of the trip. My wife started running a fever and a cough 2 days before the end of the cruise. Within a week of arriving home, I started having a cough and the other couple did also. My wife was diagnosed with a case of pneumonia and I was told that I had bronchitis. The other couple was told that they had bacterial pneumonia. After antibiotics we are all better but my wife and the other couple's wife still have a lingering cough 4 weeks after the cruise. The health problems turned our cruise into a bad experience. Some of the reviews on cruise critic mention a problem with a cough while on the cruise. It does look like there was a problem on the ship and we started the health problem on the cruise.

With that many people in close proximity it is inevitable someone will get someone else sick. Every time i fly i get sick a few days after. I generally take mega vitamin c or something like airborne a few day before and all during my vacations and it seems to help a lot.

On another note I assume you are a fisherman and I know it is another country but Marlin are sports fish and are meant to be caught and released. Not many people mount real fish anymore. Generally measurements and weights are taken along with pictures and then the taxidermist recreates the fish as not to deplete the stock. Taking a Marlin and killing it is not a good thing.. I know it was not you but just an FYI

Sorry you all fell ill during your wonderful cruise, I'm sure it wasn't the way you wanted it to end. However, this illness is not restricted to the ship. We travel frequently and have found that we need to be very vigilant when going to crowded areas.

We were in San Antonio, TX in February this year and DH and I both ended up with exactly what you describe. The cough, fever and general malaise are all indicators of flu or bacterial infection which is spread very easily.

Glad you're all recovered/recovering and it did take DH almost 8 weeks to finally get rid of his cough.

Happy cruising.

So sorry this happened to you. What a way to end a wonderful Cruise. I have been on the Jewel before and I will be on her in October. I always worry about being in a Country other than the USA. The Panama Canal is a great Cruise and what a bad way to end it! I hope you will try NCL again. I have never gotten sick on any of my NCL Cruises. Just Lucky I guess!

so sorry you got ill that's a real bummer good way to end your vacation. But if you get pneumonia you're going to have a lingering cough for weeks later. and it's something you can get anywhere. I . bronchitis last fall in the entire beginning to end lasted 6 to 8 weeks. I also pulled a rib muscle that took 6 months to heal.

unfortunately that's the risk when traveling anywhere. we start our vitamins a good month before we leave and then continue to take them until we're home. we were really big on the washing washing as well ;-)

Interesting about the pneumonia. I got pneumonia while on a cruise back in January. I was so ill I spent 9 days in hospital in Spain before being able to fly home. I blamed it on the person in the cabin next door who we could hear coughing the same type of cough and the AC bringing the germs into our room. Neither of us recall ever seeing him but maybe I got it from pressing the elevator buttons right after he was in there or something? Don't know, one of those things, not NCLs fault but they called everyday I was in hospital and boy was I looked after when I sailed the same cruise in April. My recovery was about 2 months from it. Not nice I hope you all recover soon.

So sorry you got sick on your cruise. I have gotten horrible upper respiratory illnesses on several cruises and for some reason they tend to linger. We have solved the problem. We no longer eat with others as that is usually where we picked it up, no longer shake hands with anybody and pretty much stick to ourselves while on a cruise. Since we have adopted this policy we have not gotten sick. Unfortunately, many people have no qualms about boarding while ill.

My wife and I along with another couple were on the Panama Canal cruise from New Orleans. We are all in our sixties. Overall we enjoyed the cruise. The transit of the Panama Canal was a great experience. In Chabo San Lucas I signed up for a 5 hour fishing trip. Four of us were on a boat trolling for marlins. A 150 lb marlin was caught on the trip and it took all 4 of us 40 minutes to land it. A guy from Chicago wanted to have it mounted and shipped back home so he paid the $1500 fee to have it sent back home. That was a great fishing trip for me. Now the bad part of the trip. My wife started running a fever and a cough 2 days before the end of the cruise. Within a week of arriving home, I started having a cough and the other couple did also. My wife was diagnosed with a case of pneumonia and I was told that I had bronchitis. The other couple was told that they had bacterial pneumonia. After antibiotics we are all better but my wife and the other couple's wife still have a lingering cough 4 weeks after the cruise. The health problems turned our cruise into a bad experience. Some of the reviews on cruise critic mention a problem with a cough while on the cruise. It does look like there was a problem on the ship and we started the health problem on the cruise.

this is a chance we take when we go anywhere with a lot of people, in a small area. The worst I think is airplanes. I sure hope all of you well be 100% in no time. Thank goodness you went to the doctors before you got any worse.