Trip of a Lifetime - Med Cruise - Serenade of the Seas 5/23/2014

The whole experience was yummy! Karen posted the invite to the CC group on our forum and we had been "online dating" for about a year, so we were dining with a great group of friends. Great food, great company and the culinary staff was incredible! And yes, we all picked up our lamb bone and gnawed on it!

Dianne

We sure did but I hear that some people on other nights were offended that people picked up the bone. Imagine that. That's the BEST PART!!! :eek:

Yes! We are really looking forward to it. I have a one week trip to Scotland next week (we live in Canada) then several weeks of RVing for the summer then the cruise! Oh, and we still work as well!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow, that sounds nice! Scotland is on my bucket list!!

The food looks amazing! We were on Serenade in 2011 for our first Caribbean cruise, they didn't have a Chefs Table then but Chops was wonderful

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It was amazing and so was Chops!!

Thank you for the info. When did you book your flights? You spent 2 nights in Barcelona. How was the area in which you stayed?

We booked the flights as soon as they became available which was about 11 months before the cruise. Yes, we did spend two nights in Barcelona and I'm really glad we did so before the cruise. The hotel was in a great area, very close to everything we needed.

I have another question, as I just booked this for next June. How did it work with the euros? Where did you exchange your money and how much per day did you bring? I have no idea how much to bring. When we go to the Caribbean we usually bring $100 a day and use credit cards if needed. Also, were the tours you took ever late getting back to the ship?

I have another question, as I just booked this for next June. How did it work with the euros? Where did you exchange your money and how much per day did you bring? I have no idea how much to bring. When we go to the Caribbean we usually bring $100 a day and use credit cards if needed. Also, were the tours you took ever late getting back to the ship?

We waited until we were in Barcelona to get euros out of an ATM. We started out with 300 euros. The ATM by Guest Services also does euros. My sister researched and discovered it was a better exchange rate to go that route. Make sure you call your bank prior to going and inform that you will be using your ATM card outside of the country - you will have to do the same for your spouses card.

I used my credit card whenever possible (I only used a card that didn't charge any foreign transaction fees). Again, make sure you inform your credit card company ahead of time where you're going.

I had enough euros to pay for the tours and some extra each day (between 40 and 50 euros) for those places that didn't take credit cards and for tipping the guides and drivers. I put the money in a separate envelope for each tour and kept it in the safe; that way, I knew I had what I needed to pay for all of the tours and then how much spending money I had left.

We didn't have an issue with any of the tour companies dropping us off late (nor did any of the other CC members). These companies would be out of business if they dropped you off late and you missed your ship. I only picked companies that were very highly rated on Trip Advisor.

Here are some suggestions that helped with our trip:

- Bring an extra bag for purchases you make. We bought a Samsonite Tote-a-ton 33 Inch Duffle Luggage from Amazon. It was only $20 and it folded up nicely in our bag to take with us

- Security purse. These are some of the worst places for pick pockets. I wanted one with slit-proof handles and a RFID pocket to protect credit cards. I purchased Pacsafe Luggage Citysafe 200 Gii Handbag from Amazon. At first, I thought this purse was going to be too big, but it ended up being the perfect size.

- When making plane reservations, consider paying more for seats with some extra room. On Delta, they are called Ecomony Comfort seats. They are worth every penny!

I need to add one more suggestion:

Get an exandable folder with several pockets. Mine had a pocket for each port. This proved to be very handy! I printed all of my documents for each port and placed the papers in the necessary pocket. In addition, I left the first pocket open for all of my general papers - airline confirmation, copies of passport, hotel confirmation, set-sail pass, etc.

Karen, do you recall what denomination of Euros were dispensed by the ATM machines?

When you said Guest Services, do you mean GS on the ship or in the airport?

Also, how did you book Chef's Table? Did you book it online or once you got on the ship?

Karen, do you recall what denomination of Euros were dispensed by the ATM machines?

When you said Guest Services, do you mean GS on the ship or in the airport?

Also, how did you book Chef's Table? Did you book it online or once you got on the ship?

If you get a large amount, you will get large bills from most ATMs, however, the ATM by GS on the ship gives out 50s.

We booked the Chef's Table online as soon as dining reservations opened up because we wanted to have it on a specific night, but if the night doesn't matter to you, you can book it on the ship.

Tuesday, May 27th - Sea Day

We really needed a sea day!!

Our official CC Meet & Mingle was at 10:15 this morning. We had already met the people who were most active on the thread, so we were looking forward to meeting everyone else. The turn out was very light and it seemed a lot of people only came for the prizes, as soon as the prizes were done, people got up and left. We didn't even get a chance to meet anyone else - it was a shame!

14454649375_7de6af1b90.jpg

Since we turned the clocks ahead an hour and slept in, our day went by really fast!

We had dinner in the main DR, this was the second of three formal nights and dinner was delicious as usual.

After dinner, we went to the Castle & Crown Pub for karaoke with some of our CC buddies. We had a blast!!

Approximately 6 p.m., we went through the Straits of Messina which was pretty cool!!

This is a Celebrity ship coming out of the Straits before we entered

14453532434_5e2cea378c.jpg

The Celebrity ship after it made it through the Straits

14474803693_39d3f22835.jpg

14474789433_272e6525d6.jpg

14474791923_8eb1a8e1dc.jpg

A seagull hanging out on a turtle!

14454645395_bcfbc1ba35.jpg

Wednesday, May 28th - Sea Day

Boy was it great to sleep in!! Did I already say how much we enjoyed the JS!?! It was so nice not to keep bumping into each other! We spent a leisurely morning and afternoon hanging out at the pool.

We decided to try out the slide at the kids pool - It's definitely not for grown ups (even ones who act like kids)! We kept getting stuck.

When we got back to the cabin, we went out onto the balcony and saw a school of dolphins jumping in the water.

14453494894_76ef8b9c84.jpg

14451257191_e1fe33f8f0.jpg

Hi all we are on the Serenade for the first time next week, and I have read all had a good time, but can you tell me if there are tea making facilities on board

or should I take my travel kettle with me, cannot do with out my cup of tea

first thing in the morning Thanks

Hi all we are on the Serenade for the first time next week, and I have read all had a good time, but can you tell me if there are tea making facilities on board

There will be tea bags and hot water available in the restaurants, including Park Cafe where it will be self-serve. Tea kettles will also be in JS and above category staterooms.

I'm not a tea drinker so I didn't pay any attention. I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

I have looked at all the tour companies that you have booked. The price is for a group rate. Do the companies get others to join the group, and then each pay a part of the price?

Also, if you would be so kind as to tell me which package tour you took for each of the ports, some are 5 hours and some are 8 hours. Obviously you would see more in 8 hours. Just really don't know what to do, as this is our first time in Europe. Really need your help. Thanks again.

Karemark, Thank you for the wonderful review & the beautiful pictures. My DH & I set sail on the SOS on July 10th and your review is getting us even more excited (if that's possible, LOL!) for our dream cruise!

Make sure to read the review by the middle aged drama queen too. And virtual rain has lots of cool pictures to add to your excitement!

I have looked at all the tour companies that you have booked. The price is for a group rate. Do the companies get others to join the group, and then each pay a part of the price?

Also, if you would be so kind as to tell me which package tour you took for each of the ports, some are 5 hours and some are 8 hours. Obviously you would see more in 8 hours. Just really don't know what to do, as this is our first time in Europe. Really need your help. Thanks again.

Some of the ports we took private tours with just four of us, others we took semi-private tours where the company does add others to your tours, and others we filled the vehicles with CC people. The private tours were definitely the most costly but we did enjoy having a few days with just us.

Cannes - We did 6-hour Monaco, Eze Village, St Paul de Vence. Since Grand Prix was going on, we went to La Turbie instead of Monaco. This was just the four of us.

Livorno - The four of us did the 9-hour Pisa and San Gimignano tour.

Rome - The four of us did the 9-hour Rome and Vatican tour

Greece - We went with CC group on a 9-hour Athens day tour.

Turkey - With CC group, went on a full-day Ephesus tour

Naples - 9-hour tour with CC members to Pompeii, Sorrento, and Positano.

Karemark, Thank you for the wonderful review & the beautiful pictures. My DH & I set sail on the SOS on July 10th and your review is getting us even more excited (if that's possible, LOL!) for our dream cruise!

I'm excited for you and wish we were going back!! Hope you have a wonderful time!!

Thursday, May 29th - Athens

We met our CC tour mates in the R Bar and proceeded down to deck two to get off the ship.

We were greeted by our driver, Theo, and our tour guide, Anna, from PK Travel.

We were off to the Acropolis. So glad we went here first as the crowds grew quite large before we left.

14268109850_613d7a5382.jpg

14431596736_53e045bbaa.jpg

14453584884_32862a1446.jpg

14453573584_2e55898bff.jpg