Trip of a Lifetime - Med Cruise - Serenade of the Seas 5/23/2014

We were on the sailing right before you. The itinerary was different - it was the 4 land ports in France and Italy but then 4 island ports. The ship was wonderful, we had excellent service all around and the weather was absolutely perfect. We saw rain once as we were tendering back from Villefranche. We did two nights in BCN after and just completely immersed ourselves in the city, taking the metro and public buses all over town. It was truly the vacation of a lifetime.

Except for this first day in Barcelona, we also had perfect weather. Barcelona is a wonderful city!

Welcome Back Karen. Enjoy your wonderful pictures and looking forward to seeing the rest of your adventures unfold.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan! I'm still sifting through the thousands of pictures I took trying to decide which ones to post!

We did a 12 day on the Brilliance back in 05 that followed basically the same itinerary. Best trip of my life, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

You should do it again, I wish I could go back already...LOL!

What hotel did you stay at at Barcelona, enjoying your review.

Norma

I will let Karen answer this as well, but I have two very strong recommendations. On the night before the cruise, we stayed at Rivoli Ramblas. It is on Las Ramblas and a 3 minute walk from Placa Catalunya (5 minutes if you take the Aerobus into the Placa). We too flew all night and at about 10 am, they let us check in! It was nice to unload, change into clean clothes, wash up, etc. The room was spacious and the bathroom was wonderful. It was well under $200 all in.

For the two nights after, we stayed at HCC Montblanc. It is on Via Laietana 1 1/2 blocks off Placa Catalunya. It is in a somewhat quieter area than Rivoli. This room was also quite spacious and it had a very nice bathroom too. We were not able to check in at 8 am when we arrived but they had a baggage drop. After getting connected for an hour (checking email, facebook, etc) we walked to the Aquarium, an easy walk from the hotel. It was also right by the Metro line. This too was well under $200 per night.

I would recommend either hotel for a pre-cruise or post cruise stay. They are both convenient to public transportation, the tourist bus, restaurants, shopping, etc.

What hotel did you stay at at Barcelona, enjoying your review.

Norma

We stayed at the Hotel Continental Barcelona. It is in a great location and very reasonably priced. The rooms were small but it was clean.

We are also on the June 16th sailing (myself and 2 children) with the same itinerary. I look forward to reading your review!

You are going to love it, it's a wonderful itinerary and the Serenade is a great ship!

We are booked on the Serenade Oct 11 – 20, I’m wondering if you had the same itinerary? We are going from Rome to Santorini, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Athens, Crete, and Katakolon .

If so, any feedback you have regarding these stops or your trip would be greatly appreciated. We are going with a group and some have done these areas before so we have some ‘leadership’ to help us, but this will be our first trip to these areas.

You are on the Greek Isle cruise (with me). The OP was on the Mediterranean & Greek Isle cruise. I was on that last year, loved Santorini so much had to go back for more.

We had an amazing tour but could barely keep our eyes open. We were dropped off to check into our pink room at Hotel Continental Barcelona. We quickly settled in and then went to the front desk to get a suggestion for dinner. She recommended Ciudal Condel which was very good and I highly recommend it.

We were dragging by this point and returned to the hotel. We were in bed and asleep by 6:30 p.m. having been awake for about 36 hours!

As far as the hotel, it was what I expected...small, clean, and old. The elevator is tiny! This was a very secure hotel; you need to be buzzed into and out of the area where your room is located. All in all, I would stay here again. On our CC roll call, we joked a lot about the fact that the rooms were all pink...and yes, they are definitely pink!

14335900976_a8fa6727b0.jpg

- When making plane reservations, consider paying more for seats with some extra room. On Delta, they are called Ecomony Comfort seats. They are worth every penny!

OMG! I so agree with this. I thought we were familiar with small seats flying around the US and to San Juan and Hawaii. I had no idea that the seats and space on Europe bound flights are even smaller (US Air) :eek: And we will never do that again.

Following that we went to Australia, and had Economy Plus, 3 seats for 2, plus a bed platform.

I don't know if I would have believed people that said flying Economy to Europe is a bad idea....but I know now that it is. :D

Loving your review. We were on the liberty last September and loved Barcelona. We had better weather though. Our whole trip was mid 80's and bit a cloud in the sky. One of the best cruises we had.

We went to park fuel too. Only place we encountered a pick pocket...in broad daylight I was surprised.

Edited by maggieq

OMG! I so agree with this. I thought we were familiar with small seats flying around the US and to San Juan and Hawaii. I had no idea that the seats and space on Europe bound flights are even smaller (US Air) :eek: And we will never do that again.

Following that we went to Australia, and had Economy Plus, 3 seats for 2, plus a bed platform.

I don't know if I would have believed people that said flying Economy to Europe is a bad idea....but I know now that it is. :D

It sure made a difference for us! We had room to stretch our legs out and our knees weren't up against the seat in front of us.

Loving your review. We were on the liberty last September and loved Barcelona. We had better weather though. Our whole trip was mid 80's and bit a cloud in the sky. One of the best cruises we had.

We went to park fuel too. Only place we encountered a pick pocket...in broad daylight I was surprised.

Thanks! This first day in Barcelona was the only day our weather wasn't perfect as well...70s and 80s. This is definitely the best cruise we've ever been on!!

I heard about one of our other CC friends who found some guys hand in his pocket, unreal!

Karen,

Thank you for putting this review together, seeing Hotel Continental brings back memories as we stayed there before and after our first ever cruise in 2010 on Voyager of the Seas. :)

Does the room still look the same?

Does the room still look the same?

LOL! I stayed in the Continental two years ago, in one of their teeny single rooms, and your photo brought back happy memories :). Trying to figure out whether DH would be happy there pre-cruise next spring...

Thank you for posting this review - I've subscribed, and looking forward to more!

LOL! I stayed in the Continental two years ago, in one of their teeny single rooms, and your photo brought back happy memories :). Trying to figure out whether DH would be happy there pre-cruise next spring...

Thank you for posting this review - I've subscribed, and looking forward to more!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I would stay there again in a heartbeat! We loved our balcony!!

Barcelona, Day 2 - Thursday, May 22nd

Having had a great night's sleep of 12-1/2 hours, we were ready for breakfast. On another recommendation from the front desk, we headed off across the street and down an alley to BuenasMigas. This is a wonderful little shop where Mark and I shared a tasty focaccia and chocolate croissant...yum!!

Having been fortified, we were ready for our half-day tour to Montserrat with Barcelona Day Tours. We were greeted outside Hard Times Cafe by Eva, our tour guide, and Daniel, our driver.

This was another wonderful tour from Barcelona Day tours! The views were gorgeous:

14355793751_67a36d18be.jpg

14357572362_8068aabf5a.jpg

14172518200_5216a12ab4.jpg

14359081835_e48640abb8.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

We'll be on a similar cruise next year on Allure...and have learned to appreciate that there is indeed alot to see in Barcelona. We plan to add a couple of days before, after, or both to the cruise itself.

Your photos are very nice....and appreciated.

We headed up to the chapel to hear the boy's choir.

14379258633_1085b84a09.jpg

14335966376_c5d2933247.jpg

14172388089_673fd51275.jpg

We wanted to see the Black Madonna and were told the line would only take about 20 minutes, so we elected to do this before the choir performed. These are some pictures taken while waiting in line:

14172567037_7b7781564a.jpg

14172420508_899cb729dc.jpg

14172378549_2ef601e2d0.jpg

The line was taking A LOT longer than we were told (one hour), so we couldn't see the choir, but we were able to hear them and they were incredible!

Here is the Black Madonna:

14379222543_683ee372ea.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

We'll be on a similar cruise next year on Allure...and have learned to appreciate that there is indeed alot to see in Barcelona. We plan to add a couple of days before, after, or both to the cruise itself.

Your photos are very nice....and appreciated.

Thanks! Barcelona definitely needs a few days to enjoy. We didn't add any to the end because I knew once the cruise was over, I would be ready to get home to the kids...both two-legged and four-legged kids!!