Norwegian to Astoria and San Francisco OR Princess to Santa Barbara and Ensenada?

Tapi

Which cruise would you select?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise would you select?

• NORWEGIAN PEARL: Vancouver-Astoria-San Francisco-Los Angeles
    • GOLDEN PRINCESS: Los Angeles-Santa Barbara-Ensenada-Los Angeles

Hello:

I'm torn between the following 2 itineraries:

- Golden Princess roundtrip from Los Angeles visiting Santa Barbara and Ensenada.

- Norwegian Pearl one way from Vancouver visiting Astoria and San Francisco and finishing in Los Angeles.

About us:

- We've cruised extensively, although we have limited exposure to Pacific coast cruising.

- We've never been to Astoria or Santa Barbara.

- Have only been to Vancouver for business.

- Its been 15+ years since the last time I visited Los Angeles, San Francisco or Ensenada on vacation.

- We've never sailed on Princess or Norwegian.

Price will be similar, but we'll be in a mini suite on the Golden Princess and a standard balcony on the Norwegian Pearl.

Maybe I'm completely off, but from what I've read, it seems as if the Norwegian Pearl's itinerary is the better one, but I also feel as if the Golden Princess is the better ship.

Any feedback or information that can either confirm or rebuke my observations, and hopefully assist us make a decision, will be greatly appreciated. :)

I vote for NCL Pacific Coastal have done it twice and just love Astoria

gret little port with lots to see on your own, the downtown is quite cute with some great antique and one of a kind shops. Population is about 10,000

San Francisco what can I say, there is so much to see and do on your own as there transit is quite good or just spend your day at Fisherman's Wharf and have lunch.

I would definitely take the Pearl for the itinerary. Vancouver and San Francisco are spectacular cities and the entrance into SF is something everyone should experience. While I prefer Santa Barbara to Astoria they are both nice ports. I'd be ok never returning to Ensenada.

I would definitely take the Pearl for the itinerary. Vancouver and San Francisco are spectacular cities and the entrance into SF is something everyone should experience.

Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge was what I was most looking forward to on our pacific coastal on NCL Jewel a couple years ago. Unfortunately the fog was so thick coming and going that we could barely see the bridge as we were directly under it. It was such a bummer so now we have to give it another try on the NCL Sun this Sept. Darn fog...

Edited by AWENINAZ

A thought. You can spend a night in Long Beach after disembarking the PEARL on October 3 and do the CROWN PRINCESS which departs San Pedro (Los Angeles) on October 4 on a 7 day cruise which includes San Francisco and Santa Barbara.

Last year we went on the NCL SUN from Vancouver to San Pedro (Los Angeles) and about a couple weeks later went on the SAPPHIRE PRINCESS 7 day cruise which included San Francisco, Santa Barbara and San Diego plus Ensenada.

We live over an hour from the port of San Pedro and enjoy cruising to San Francisco.

One of my all time favorite cruises was the 7 day Pacific Coastal on the Pearl. Of course doing the survey here on the NCL board is going to get you mostly NCL votes :D

Like others have mentioned the stop in San Francisco is really great.

My personal opinion the Pearl is a MUCH better ship, I also think that NCL does a better job of maintenance on their ships.

Here is some information stats on the two ships. I think the stats speak for themselves :)

This is the Golden Princess

Built 2001 Years old 13 Passengers 2632- 3158

Cabins 1316 Space Ratio 34 Tons 108865

Speed 23.0 Length 950 Beam 123 Crew 1100

Refurbished: 2012

This is the Norwegian Pearl

Built 2006 Years old 8 Passengers 2394- 2873

Cabins 1197 Space Ratio 33 Tons 93530

Speed 25.0 Length 971 Beam 105 Crew 1154

Refurbished: 2013

The Pearl is 5 years Newer, Refurbished more recently Tonnage wise a bit smaller but also carries quite few less passengers. Yet far more crew which makes the crew to passenger ratio for service also much better.

I've been on both ships and the Pearl is my favorite. While I enjoyed Santa Barbara, I love San Francisco. We been to Astoria twice and missed it twice due to weather so that may be a consideration when making your decision. I have no burning desire to visit Encenada. If you decide on the Pearl, Vancouver is worth a couple of days pre-cruise.

We've sailed the Pearl twice and had great vacations. We've only sailed on NCL so I have nothing to compare it too but wouldn't hesitate to book NCL again, we especially like freestyle dining. Astoria and San Francisco are both beautiful, we have visited them on land vacations but it sounds like a great cruise.

Just went on Princess for the west coast itinerary this spring. Loved Santa Barbara, San Francisco, etc. BUT did not like the Princess product!

We've been on the Pearl several times. I'd choose the Pearl just to see Astoria.

I don't know anyone who really enjoys going to Ensenada!

Hands-down the Pearl. While I can't speak to the Princess product, I did the Pacific Coastal on the Jewel with stops at Astoria and SF.....and would do it again tomorrow!

Whichever you choose...enjoy it!!

Hello:

I'm torn between the following 2 itineraries:

- Golden Princess roundtrip from Los Angeles visiting Santa Barbara and Ensenada.

- Norwegian Pearl one way from Vancouver visiting Astoria and San Francisco and finishing in Los Angeles.

About us:

- We've cruised extensively, although we have limited exposure to Pacific coast cruising.

- We've never been to Astoria or Santa Barbara.

- Have only been to Vancouver for business.

- Its been 15+ years since the last time I visited Los Angeles, San Francisco or Ensenada on vacation.

- We've never sailed on Princess or Norwegian.

Price will be similar, but we'll be in a mini suite on the Golden Princess and a standard balcony on the Norwegian Pearl.

Maybe I'm completely off, but from what I've read, it seems as if the Norwegian Pearl's itinerary is the better one, but I also feel as if the Golden Princess is the better ship.

Any feedback or information that can either confirm or rebuke my observations, and hopefully assist us make a decision, will be greatly appreciated. :)

I've done both and enjoyed each, but I am an NCL loyalist as most know and not crazy over Princess or the Golden, so I would do the Pearl. The positive about Princess would be the mini suite and Santa Barbara, but I could live without Ensenada. The positive about the Pearl, it is a pretty ship and Astoria is a really interesting little town, friendly, fun and someplace most never see in their lives. Add San Francisco and it is almost a no brainer in my opinion.

Of course think Princess has better food, we do not. The cabins will not be much different and both lines have very small ones, but I do like the large dressing area on the Golden and the mini suite will give you a little more room. NCL has better entertainment and a friendlier crew in my opinion.

Whichever you choose, I am sure you will have a good time.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We just returned from a cruise on the Golden Princess out of Seattle to Alaska..

Have been on the Pearl and Jewell to Alaska too..

We liked both NCL and PCL ships and enjoy going to Alaska..

That said, we prefer NCL.. Like the dining options better, and entertainment was better, IMHO...

The NCL Buffet was set up better with different stations making it easier to get around.. Although we prefer the Main Dining Rooms, did not care for the Formal nights on the Golden.. The Smart Casual was fine.

When we vacation, we prefer to go Casual..

We just returned from a cruise on the Golden Princess out of Seattle to Alaska..

Have been on the Pearl and Jewell to Alaska too..

We liked both NCL and PCL ships and enjoy going to Alaska..

That said, we prefer NCL.. Like the dining options better, and entertainment was better, IMHO...

The NCL Buffet was set up better with different stations making it easier to get around.. Although we prefer the Main Dining Rooms, did not care for the Formal nights on the Golden.. The Smart Casual was fine.

When we vacation, we prefer to go Casual..

food wise, one of our biggest gripes with the Golden was the buffet. And to that the formal nights: it just isn't our thing anymore. There was a time when we did it everyday, now we enjoy not doing it at all unless we are going to a wedding or a funeral .