Icelandic Krona

Ecuador

Our bank couldn't source for us but M&S had it in stock if that's any help... Assuming you are in the UK. I always like some currency to take with us, even if just enough for a cab. Saves hunting for ATM.

It depends what you intend buying. We always wait and use ATMs, but in Iceland we found we needed no money.

We bought some items to bring home, but used a credit card.

Needless to say winter clothing is excellent quality and good value. Don't forget your tax refund forms if you do buy anything of value.

When we visited on Arcadia on the Grand Event there was some people who tried to buy coffee in a cafe in the park at Akureyri with euros and they were refused dont know if it has since changed. Dont forget if you want to buy drinks or small souvenirs and too small amount to pay by credit card paying in euros makes it even more expensive than it will already be because of the poor exchange rate given by cafe's or shops will be to there advantage.

We're off to Iceland next month (with Celebrity next time) and have a couple of private tours booked.

I assume if I want to tip the driver/guide he will take anything (euro, sterling or krona)?

We went with Celebrity to Iceland last year. We tipped our guide in Reykjavik and Akureyri with Euros. The tray at the front of the bus seemed to mainly contain Euros from other passengers.

I've checked my guide book and it suggests Icelandic currency full stop. However, further down the page there is a section regarding travellers' cheques (do people still use these?) and it says they will accept these in sterling or euros. I assume they mean that you would then have to change them to the local currency?

We've decided to play safe and get Icelandic money. It saves worrying about whether anything else will be accepted.

I've checked my guide book and it suggests Icelandic currency full stop. However, further down the page there is a section regarding travellers' cheques (do people still use these?) and it says they will accept these in sterling or euros. I assume they mean that you would then have to change them to the local currency?

We've decided to play safe and get Icelandic money. It saves worrying about whether anything else will be accepted.

How old is your Guide Book? I didn't think anyone used Travellers Cheques any more.

How old is your Guide Book? I didn't think anyone used Travellers Cheques any more.

2011 so not that old. I didn't think anyone used Travellers Cheques any more, but then maybe they do :confused: