Dining In Our Cabin

Shawski

You will find many who may disagree.. but imho cabin dining or even breakfast is a lottery.

We have enjoyed some great verandah breakfasts.. BUT.. we have also had some hastily prepared and stone cold offerings ( the worst and the last was on the shadow.. but it could have been on any ship)

Why is it so.. well it's timing .. IF the meal is plated correctly and the call is made quickly IF the butler is available right at that moment and assembles correctly .. IF the butler doesn't have to exchange pleasantries/requests on the way /lift crows etc etc… You might get a hot meal and a nice experience… or you may not … caveat emptor

Love breakfast in the suite, especially, as Stumblefoot mentioned , on early morning tour days. Have been on SS a few days and only one evening meal in our suite. It was wonderful. But you miss all the action and activity of the ship, so it is a trade.

Love breakfast in the suite, especially, as Stumblefoot mentioned , on early morning tour days. Have been on SS a few days and only one evening meal in our suite. It was wonderful. But you miss all the action and activity of the ship, so it is a trade.

As mentioned earlier, the downside to in-suite dining is the lottery of whether you get the food hot or not. Otherwise it's good fun especially for breakfast if, like us, you are too tired/lazy/unscrubbed to go to the restaurant!

An in suite breakfast fan here also, although it is hit and miss...I've found the earlier one orders the better chance of it being hot. The Tea however never seems to be right.

I have enjoyed dinner in suite too and have been very happy with it, albeit being a mere snack such as a sandwich or a hot dog....I'm more of a long lunch person.

I would suggest having a word with your butler if you wish to have a quiet dinner in your suite, it can be rather nice just to chill.

Sophia :)

We've never done a full breakfast in our cabin but have had one or two dinners, from a full blown one to a late evening snack. Since we're usually traveling with at least one other couple we've really not be all that tempted to do that on a regular basis. I may be wrong but I think it really depends on your butler. Anu was our last butler on the Wind and The Man with the Million Dollar Smile definitely could have made it happen. :)

We had dinner in our suite, one night, and it was wonderful. We did let our butler know a couple of days ahead of time, as we knew that day would involve a long, hot tour (and we would be in no mood to go down to dinner. She seemed to have everything in order and ready to go. It was a great night. Very comfortable.

D

We had breakfast en suite every day on an 18 day VPO-BA cruise. It was always perfect. We ate at 7a and it arrived on time and hot. Was it the butler or the time I don't know? The results, however, helped us enjoy our cruise even more.:D

You have two menus to chose from: 24 hour room service and after 7PM main dining room menu.

Diner can be served course-by-course or all at one time. Also chef will make something special if requested.

We have diner in our room most nights and enjoyed every one of them . Last three cruises we never even went to the main dining room at all. Don't even know what it looks like...

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately on our first Silverseas cruise aboard the Spirit our dinner with guests in our suite was a failure. Our butler went off shift half way through & I think he just didn't bother to pass on the information. No dessert arrived & our guests had to leave, rather embarrassing. Eventually we rang up room service, who had no idea that we were waiting for further service, & ask them if they could at least come & take away the dirty dishes so we could go to bed! Caveat emptor indeed. Other room service, we had tea & juice delivered every morning without fail, but the tea is terrible & the water never hot enough, so if you're a tea drinker I would recommend you bring your own & use the coffee machine to make hot water.

We just finalize our payment today for a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Silver Cloud Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days. Looking forward to that "adventure" and we hope to do another in-suite party and/or dining experience. We did breakfast in our room a number of times, especially on those busy port/excursion days.

Dinner? See below a picture and details that summarizes things well for what we did while sailing along the scenic Norway coast during one evening.

BUTLER/IN-ROOM DINNER SUCCESS STORY: We wanted to have a “pizza party” in our suite to watch the World Cup battle between Spain and Holland. How did it happen and work in July 2010? Super great!!! And the game was good, too, going into overtime to get a winner. Our Butler was spectacular in arranging all of the details. Our Columbus friends-neighbors, Janet and Denny, were there, along with new friends Sharon and Issy from the Washington, DC, area. Six people worked well for a party in our Silver Cloud suite. We started at 8 pm with egg rolls, shrimp, crab claws, chips, etc., as a warm-up, plus a tub of chilled Champagne, wine, beer, etc. Then around 9 pm, after the game started a half hour earlier, the five different pizza selections arrived along with hot dogs, cookies, etc. We could have had more food, but we were stuffed and very happy. Not only was the game good, but out our large balcony door and window, we could watch the spectacular mountains along the coast go by as we sailed south along the Norway coast. More details are noted below from the full live/blog for this fun trip on the Silver Cloud.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 158,526 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

For the World Cup Championship game, Spain versus Holland on July 11, 2010, this was our “PIZZA PARTY” set-up in our room as we sailed along the Norway Coast south of the Lofoten Islands. This set-up worked well for size with six in that space. We ordered in advance off of the regular room service menu, set-up through our wonderful Butler. In place of eating in the main Dining Room, we had our food and drinks in the suite. Eight people would have been too tight for such a party in a regular suite.:

WorldCupPartySilverCloud.jpg

Wow Terry, looks really nice and well organized. I like how they used all the space to setup food and drinks. Too bad the wrong team won :)

Appreciate this nice follow-up and comments from our friend in the wonderful land of the Dutch. Sorry! We had no control over the winner of the World Cup final game. Being in international settings for events like the World Cup is fun as different folks are pulling for their teams, etc. The Captain and some others on the Silver Cloud were hoping for Italy to win it all.

As the picture shows, things did set-up well. Clearly doing either four or six people in this size of room/space worked perfectly. Eight people would have been a little too tight for the size of area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 79,260 views for this fun posting.

And a teapot? ;)

Twinings English Breakfast is never far from us wherever we go. Everyone tries to copy. No one succeeds.

Wifey has drawn the line at taking my Brita Water Filter Jug. That is the only concession to travel I am prepared to make. Apart that is from not taking my ViSpring bed with me that is. Or my TV. Or my kitchen. Or my Zujiroshi. Or my humidor. Or my knives.

I think I will stay at home.

:)