Severe ankle swelling....but never before?

You had a major surgery - maybe post-surgery body reaction, or medication you are or were taking?

Are you checking your blood pressure regularly?

I would see a doctor for this. Not your surgeon, the PCP doc.

I recently took my 8th cruise. About midway through, my ankles starting swelling a bit, but not bad.

By the last day, it was REALLY bad, I looked like I had elephant ankles....LOL

Any idea why it would happen now but never before?

Thanks

possibly sequelae from your recent major surgery? When I had big abdominal surgery I had a strange body for almost 6 months - could be anything from strain on your kidneys since ship food apparently has more sodium to blood clots - tho most people don't have them in both legs. I did and it was no fun. Did they change up your meds after your surgery? Maybe you weren't as active as you were on previous cruises, didn't drink as much water....lots and lots of reasons - most of which I would address with my PCP being only a few months out from surgery.

We are not medical practitioners. (Well, maybe a few are.) This sounds like something that needs competent professional attention and pretty soon.

I'm a nurse, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn one time beside a doctor office!!!

three episodes of swelling legs associated with situations that result in poor circulation [flying, pregnancy] would send me to the doc. And having disclosed that I am a nurse, I think it is appropriate for me to add what I would say to any patient on the phone: If you have any chest pain, shortness of breath, sudden/severe headache, increased pain or swelling in your legs before you see your doctor - get thee to an ER posthaste.

We are not medical practitioners. (Well, maybe a few are.) This sounds like something that needs competent professional attention and pretty soon.

RIGHT1 Get to a doctor. Swollen ankles is not a good sign.

I agree that it is always best to contact your doctor with any new symptom. That being said however, every cruiee my ankles swell. They didn't used to but have in the last 6 to 7 years. They do not swell any other time. As mentioned, the first few days they are fine but then get progressively worse. I have learned I can manage it some by not drinking caffiene and also really watching what I eat. I try for fresh fruit, veggies, etc, anything not subject to the kitchen salt! I have talked with many through the years who experience the same thing. Nothing seems to help, not even diuretics. Personally I am. O longer alarmed by it and try my best to manage it. I also try to keep my legs up on lounge chairs as much as I can .....not that I mind that. Most who have exhausted doctors have found it seems to be salt retention between food, sea air and ocean. HOWEVER, this is not to say you should not check with your physician. Any new unusual symptom is worth paying attention too. Hope it just turns our to be the salt thing.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

It could be the salty cruise food...

I totally agree! We've tried to win that battle by eating bananas (good source of potassium), drinking bottled water, and avoiding blatantly salty foods (like the hot soups). Even doing all that didn't help on our last Century cruise. By the end of 11 days, my fingers and ankles were visibly swollen -- and my b/p was significantly elevated. On my doc's advice, I'm going to be requesting a low-sodium menu on our future cruises.

I recently took my 8th cruise. About midway through, my ankles starting swelling a bit, but not bad.

By the last day, it was REALLY bad, I looked like I had elephant ankles....LOL

Any idea why it would happen now but never before?

Thanks

Could be gout.

Ask your doctor to order blood test for uric acid.

It could be the salty cruise food...

Agree with that on our last cruise I had same thing ankles swelled up got to a stage it was difficult to walk never happened before. Went down to the medical centre on board and the nurse said I could pay to see the doctor or she said that was more than likely from the amount of seasoning they put in the food (salt), So for a couple of days I stuck to salads and after 2 days back to normal so I just watched what I eat after that and no problems , but by all means if you are concerned see your doctor.

My ankles swell on cruises sometimes too.

I avoid the soups as I understand they are very salty.

My Dr. told me to drink LOTS of water. Guess it washes the salt out....

I also stick a life jacket under my mattress at night and that little bit of elevation really helps.

I agree that it is always best to contact your doctor with any new symptom. That being said however, every cruiee my ankles swell. They didn't used to but have in the last 6 to 7 years. They do not swell any other time. As mentioned, the first few days they are fine but then get progressively worse. I have learned I can manage it some by not drinking caffiene and also really watching what I eat. I try for fresh fruit, veggies, etc, anything not subject to the kitchen salt! I have talked with many through the years who experience the same thing. Nothing seems to help, not even diuretics. Personally I am. O longer alarmed by it and try my best to manage it. I also try to keep my legs up on lounge chairs as much as I can .....not that I mind that. Most who have exhausted doctors have found it seems to be salt retention between food, sea air and ocean. HOWEVER, this is not to say you should not check with your physician. Any new unusual symptom is worth paying attention too. Hope it just turns our to be the salt thing.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

My symptoms were the same right before I had a heart attack and needed bypass surgery. It doesn't pay to ignore swollen ankles.

Just happened to me and another fellow cruiser on our Caribbean cruise in April. I noticed about half way thru 7 day cruise that my ankles were swelling up to the point of being very uncomfortable and I had to elevate them to find relief. I mentioned this to one of our dinner companions and she said she was having the same problem. We both said the same thing - salty food. When I returned home everything back to normal. Not to say that if the condition persisted, you should consult your dr. upon returning home.