Increases in auto gratuity charges

clivep

Just back from our Adonia cruise and noticed the auto gratuity charge on the bill had risen to £3.95 per day. It was £3.50 last October and £3.15 the year before (the figure still shown on Cruise Critic's Cruise Line Tipping Policies page).

That's a rise in 2 years of over 25%, somewhat above inflation and normal pay rises. I know P&O's gratuities are still much lower than the other mass market lines. Is it likely they will continue large percentage increases to catch up with the other lines so that they can reduce the salaries of waiters/stewards?

…….I know P&O's gratuities are still much lower than the other mass market lines…….

However, P&O serve the UK passenger and compete with the likes of Thomson Cruises who have nil gratuities. The other mass market lines cater for (at least in part) US travellers, and the USA has a totally different tipping culture to the UK.

If P&O increase the auto-gratuity too much, they may well lose out with more passengers cancelling the auto gratuity completely. It's a fine line to walk.

However, P&O serve the UK passenger and compete with the likes of Thomson Cruises who have nil gratuities. The other mass market lines cater for (at least in part) US travellers, and the USA has a totally different tipping culture to the UK.

If P&O increase the auto-gratuity too much, they may well lose out with more passengers cancelling the auto gratuity completely. It's a fine line to walk.

which is why it might be better long term strategy to drop auto gratuities and roll the amount into the price of the cruise.

Thomson do have gratuities. It is just that you don't know how much they are as they are not itemised in your bill. The crew like it this way because the are guaranteed the full amount and they are so happy they provide an excellent service and get cash tips from passengers that they are allowed to keep.

Or they could try the other route and make the gratuities a compulsory service charge.

If auto gratuities have increased how come P&O have not told us :confused:

It seems that anything that may have a negative effect on bookings is not publicised or is hidden away somewhere/not disclosed at all.

At least the new charges are disclosed in their FAQ's if you search.

Port timings, which used to be found on the dress code pdf, are no longer available. Presumably this is so that they can further reduce port times without anyone having the right to complain. I seem to remember reading a post last year when P&O had to backtrack on reducing port times in the Med following complaints. I'll post a separate thread on the reduced port times we had on our Baltic cruise.

Prices for shore excursions are not available until after you book and even then the prices shown in the cruise personaliser are only the ones for booking in advance. The prices on board are often slightly higher.

Prices when booking excursions on board have always been slightly higher, to cover the extra work involved by the tour staff emailing port agents etc to update numbers on tour.

We leave on the Aurora on 15th June. We will cancel the auto tips as we much prefer to reward good service. We did this last year when on the Ventura and it cost us more than the auto tips would have done. But, it's something we prefer doing.

We were on the QE2 a few years back and we went along with the auto tips, however some of the service was very poor. We had a wine waiter who was always intent on trying to sell the more expensive wines and we had to DEMAND to see the wine list every time we needed another bottle. The level of service in the bars were also poor. The only guy who gave us very good service was the cabin steward, who was excellent. Since that cruise we avoid auto tips.

We leave on the Aurora on 15th June. We will cancel the auto tips as we much prefer to reward good service. We did this last year when on the Ventura and it cost us more than the auto tips would have done. But, it's something we prefer doing.

We were on the QE2 a few years back and we went along with the auto tips, however some of the service was very poor. We had a wine waiter who was always intent on trying to sell the more expensive wines and we had to DEMAND to see the wine list every time we needed another bottle. The level of service in the bars were also poor. The only guy who gave us very good service was the cabin steward, who was excellent. Since that cruise we avoid auto tips.

Did you know that if you cancel your auto tips and tip directly those tips have to be declared by the staff and they are added to the whole pool. So the staff you tip don't get any more than they would if you left the auto tip in place.

It is best to live the auto tip in place and tip extra in cash. That cash can be kept by the staff member.

Bad or indifferent service is best dealt with by mentioning it to the supervisor.

ps - any staff keeping cash they should have declared might well be on the plane home soonest :eek:

It seems that anything that may have a negative effect on bookings is not publicised or is hidden away somewhere/not disclosed at all.

At least the new charges are disclosed in their FAQ's if you search.

Port timings, which used to be found on the dress code pdf, are no longer available. Presumably this is so that they can further reduce port times without anyone having the right to complain. I seem to remember reading a post last year when P&O had to backtrack on reducing port times in the Med following complaints. I'll post a separate thread on the reduced port times we had on our Baltic cruise.

Prices for shore excursions are not available until after you book and even then the prices shown in the cruise personaliser are only the ones for booking in advance. The prices on board are often slightly higher.

This has been in place for some time and was published at the time.

Personally I fully agree with it as they had been held down far too long.

However I would not be averse to going down the route suggested by Dave and have them subsumed into the fare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

which is why it might be better long term strategy to drop auto gratuities and roll the amount into the price of the cruise.

Thomson do have gratuities. It is just that you don't know how much they are as they are not itemised in your bill. The crew like it this way because the are guaranteed the full amount and they are so happy they provide an excellent service and get cash tips from passengers that they are allowed to keep.

Or they could try the other route and make the gratuities a compulsory service charge.

There was a letter on their Facebook page in January from Christopher Edgington (marketing director) informing us that it was going up to £3.95, I don't know if it was publicized anywhere else.

This is quite interesting, as there is another thread-headed Arcadia, where people are saying about paying tips over and as well as the auto tips. I said on there I felt it was a slippery slope to go on as people would start to feel they had to auto tip, and give money on top. I would be all for the fares to go up, tips to be included in the fare, with notification that tips are not expectedt at all.

I guess I will be calling PandO in the morning. I should be allowed to tip who I want knowing that the person I tip will be allowed to keep all of it. It's my money and I can give it to whoever I like.

clivep - I have been searching for port times for our upcoming cruise without success. It makes it more difficult to book private tours and plan a DIY day without the times. I have managed to get times for a few ports from private tour operator websites. I will try ringing P&O now.

Back to the increased tipping amount - It seems reasonable in comparison to $11.50 with Cunard. Even though it is reasonable some people still dip out. I agree with others thinking it would be good to have it included in the cruise price but that would make the cruises appear more expensive. Most cruiselines seem to be going the way of lowest upfront price and then charge extra for so many things. As P&O caters for the UK market it would make sense to follow the UK norms.

I have been searching for port times for our upcoming cruise without success. It makes it more difficult to book private tours and plan a DIY day without the times. I have managed to get times for a few ports from private tour operator websites. I will try ringing P&O now.

That is why P&O dont give out exact times because it is difficult for you to pre arrange DIY or private tours and guess what you then have to book a P&O excursion ££££££££££££££ for P&O coffers.

I have been searching for port times for our upcoming cruise without success. It makes it more difficult to book private tours and plan a DIY day without the times. I have managed to get times for a few ports from private tour operator websites. I will try ringing P&O now.

That is why P&O dont give out exact times because it is difficult for you to pre arrange DIY or private tours and guess what you then have to book a P&O excursion ££££££££££££££ for P&O coffers.

any sensible business would do the same, they would be idiots if they did not.

Remember, business is a form of warfare or whatever some japanese philophoser said. :confused:

any sensible business would do the same, they would be idiots if they did not.

Remember, business is a form of warfare or whatever some japanese philophoser said. :confused:

Princess do, check out their website. It certainly makes it easier to maximise your time in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums