Uh oh…..need info on travelling with oxygen

tjcletsgo

My BFF and travelling partner are booked an a 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise. My friend has COPD and has just been given the word that she needs to be on oxygen. She’s pretty active so this is quite a shock.

How does this affect our cruise? What does she need to do? Any limitations on where she can go with oxygen? This is all new for all of us. I’m very active and have walked 38 miles this year so the news it a giant bummer. Any info you can provide is much appreciated.:(

My BFF and travelling partner are booked an a 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise. My friend has COPD and has just been given the word that she needs to be on oxygen. She’s pretty active so this is quite a shock.

How does this affect our cruise? What does she need to do? Any limitations on where she can go with oxygen? This is all new for all of us. I’m very active and have walked 38 miles this year so the news it a giant bummer. Any info you can provide is much appreciated.:(

Going to be difficult getting oxygen onto an airline. 38 miles walked in 5 months isn't very active. It's less than 2 miles a week. I run and walk approximately 60 miles each week.

Will you or your BFF be driving, flying or traveling by train to the port?

If you are driving or taking a train, your friend can bring her home Room Oxygen Concentrator and tubing with her to use both on the train and on the ship.

If you are flying then you will need to contact one of the only 2 companies that are authorized to provide Oxygen Concentrators on the ship and have them deliver the concentrator to your stateroom. If she has to have Oxygen while flying, most insurance companies mandate that you (she) purchase a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (PoC) that is authorized by the FAA and the Airline(s) that will be used.

The 2 companies are Special Needs at Sea and CareVacations. Both companies are excellent and I have used both.

Joanie

Her doctor will be able to give her advice on what she needs to do. Many people travel with oxygen, including air travel. Hopefully some very nice and helpful people here will chime in. I have no direct advice, but just googled travel with oxygen and there is alot of info out there and wanted to give some support.

I have seen people with oxygen on planes and ships so it must be easy to do.

Joanie beat me!!!

Edited by mountainmare

Going to be difficult getting oxygen onto an airline. 38 miles walked in 5 months isn't very active. It's less than 2 miles a week. I run and walk approximately 60 miles each week.

Good for you but I work full time and am 63 years old...........:o

OP asked about oxygen use for her friend and thread has morphed into an attack on her walking habits.

I totally agree. Some people are so judgemental and it's nothing to do with the question.

I haven't had to travel with oxygen, but my mother did. There are few limitations - the major one, of course is - NO SMOKING AROUND IT, LOL!

I totally agree. Some people are so judgemental and it's nothing to do with the question.

I haven't had to travel with oxygen' date=' but my mother did. There are few limitations - the major one, of course is - NO SMOKING AROUND IT, LOL![/quote']

Oh boy. I hope no one would do that. Good luck op, i hope you find the answers you need :).

OP asked about oxygen use for her friend and thread has morphed into an attack on her walking habits.

Agree!

Here is info from HAL on the subject, similar to what Joanie mentioned:

Can I Receive Oxygen Deliveries On Board?

Guests requiring continuous or intermittent oxygen for chronic conditions must make their own arrangements prior to travel. Holland America Line ships are not equipped to provide guests with these services other than on an emergency basis in the Ship's Medical Center. For security and safety reasons, we have selected CareVacations/CruiseShipAssist and Special Needs at Sea as the only outside vendors that we will permit to deliver oxygen supplies to our ships:

CareVacations/CruiseShipAssist

Phone: 877-478-7827 (or locally at 780-986-6404)

Fax: 800-648-1116

Email: csa@carevacations.com

Special Needs at Sea

Phone: 800-513-4515 (or locally at 954-585-0575)

Fax: 800-513-4516

Email: info@specialneedsatsea.com

Note: Oxygen and/or oxygen equipment deliveries will not be accepted from any other companies.

Please be advised that all oxygen and oxygen equipment rental arrangements must be made by the guest and the third party provider. Consequently, you assume the entire risk of utilizing these third party services subject only to whatever terms or arrangements are made by you or on your behalf with the service provider. Refund issues must be dealt with solely between you and the service provider. We recommend contacting one of these companies to confirm your arrangements as soon as possible in order to ensure the availability of your specific requests.

You are also welcome, however, to bring your own oxygen and/or oxygen equipment from your home. Please note that our staff and crew are not permitted to handle your oxygen and/or oxygen equipment during the embarkation and disembarkation process. Thus, you must be able to handle your supplies if you bring your own. Please contact the Access & Compliance Department prior to sailing if you will require oxygen while on your cruise.

Please Note: In accordance with FAA regulations, airlines have restrictions concerning traveling with oxygen and oxygen containers. It is the traveler’s responsibility to be familiar with and comply with the regulations of the airline they are traveling on.

My mother is 81 years old and walks 10 to 13 miles every Saturday (rain or shine) with her hillwalking group in Scotland!!

Holy moly, good for her! She must be in amazing shape! I'm jealous!:D

Thanks everyone for your kind help (well, almost all but who cares?)

That puts my mind at ease as I am hoping she still be able to travel and do the things she used to do.

Thank you all so much!:D

One more opinion - My husband has been on oxygen for several years, has an oxygen concentrator at our house. He mostly needs it while sleeping, and at high altitudes. He uses a constant flow as opposed to intermittent flow. When we booked a 23 day cruise/tour on the Mediterranean on the Noordam we looked into oxygen machine rentals. Turned out that the rental fee there would be about half of what we would spend to get his own machine. We purchased a Sequal Eclipse 3, approved to take on airplanes, it does switch from constant to intermittnet flow. It does have a battery, but only about 3 hours time. Since we travel 2-3 times every year it has been very convenient to have his own machine. You just need to notify the cruise line, and the airline, we have not had any issues with them.

Since you live so close to San Diego I presume that you will not be flying. Gary requires an oxygen concentrator for use with his Bi-Pap at night which our insurance company provides on a rental basis. We take that when we travel by car. This is accepted by Holland America but they need to be notified ahead of time.

If oxygen is required during the day a portable unit can be purchased from several different sources. Gary only need oxygen during the day if the elevation is over 5000 feet. Airlines only pressurize cabins to 8000 so he must have it during flight. Most airlines do not provide oxygen for use onboard.

If you hope to do much flying or if oxygen is needed full time you will need to have your own portable unit. Our insurance does not cover portable units. We purchased a Respironics Ever Go which is FAA approved. The cost was about $3000.

One more opinion - My husband has been on oxygen for several years, has an oxygen concentrator at our house. He mostly needs it while sleeping, and at high altitudes. He uses a constant flow as opposed to intermittent flow. When we booked a 23 day cruise/tour on the Mediterranean on the Noordam we looked into oxygen machine rentals. Turned out that the rental fee there would be about half of what we would spend to get his own machine. We purchased a Sequal Eclipse 3, approved to take on airplanes, it does switch from constant to intermittnet flow. It does have a battery, but only about 3 hours time. Since we travel 2-3 times every year it has been very convenient to have his own machine. You just need to notify the cruise line, and the airline, we have not had any issues with them.

Joanie has the same concentrator and uses it in the same manner. When traveling with portable oxygen, airlines differ on how close to the flying date a doctors prescription is required. Southwest airlines requires a written prescription to be presented that is less than one year old.

We had to cancel and lose our ticket price when United Airlines required a "within 10 days of flying" prescription. We were going to be gone for two weeks and would have had no way to get a "within ten-days of flying" prescription for the return trip home. United stated that it was our problem and refused to refund the ticket cost. Check with your airline BEFORE you book the flight about their prescription policy.

Since we fly several hours to cruise ports, we purchased the extra battery package so the battery can be changed in flight. Southwest Airlines require you to have 150% of the battery power required to complete the flight (sum of all legs and layovers).

Edited by Crew News

On our 2-wk Alaska cruise aboard Amsterdam, I noted a magnet on the outside doorframe of one of the Neptune Suites. Red letters on white background, "Oxygen In Use".

I have no idea if the occupant provided the magnet, or if it came from HAL.

Krazy Kruizers,

We also sail with HAL and I "know" many posters on this forum so I thought I would post both places:p

You've all given me great advice and I sincerely appreciate it~:D

Deleted - my mistake.

Edited by Marco's Tia

Note that most airlines also charge for oxygen, Virgin Atlantic is one that doesn't.

Only if they provide it. If you provide your own there is no charge. However you must sit in a window seat, you must be able to fit it under the seat ahead of you (so no bulk heads for me) and you must have at least 150% of Oxygen. In other words if your flight is 2 hours long you must have at least 3 hours of batteries:( The batteries are HEAVY!! Each one weighs I woould guess about 5 pounds and must be kept in the cabin with you. Thankfully all medical supplies do not count as baggage and are not charged!! It can be a pain in the backside at times, but then again, not having it at all when you need it is not an option either:(

JOanie

On our 2-wk Alaska cruise aboard Amsterdam, I noted a magnet on the outside doorframe of one of the Neptune Suites. Red letters on white background, "Oxygen In Use".

I have no idea if the occupant provided the magnet, or if it came from HAL.

HAL places those on the door

Check with the company that will be supplying the concentrator. She will be able to rent a portable concentrator from Resperonics called Evergo. It is airline approved. One battery goes for something like 4 hours when the unit is unplugged, so for long flights, or long periods, you would need 2 batteries. It charges quickly. You can either wear the carry case on her shoulder like a purse, or a small wheeled carry cart. My MIL used hers for years, and had no problems going anywhere.