Princess and solo cruisers.

KruzPrincess

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419

Just read this Cruise Critic article on cruise lines that are friendly to solo cruisers. Princess didn't even make the list. Almost all my solo cruises have been on Princess, so I don't have much experience to compare. It surprised me that some cruise lines have a decent percentage of solo cruisers. I wish Princess would do better. Or maybe I need to start trying other cruise lines. Just curious what other Princess solo cruisers think.

Princess used to offer a "match" program where you'd book a cabin at the per-person price and Princess would match you with a roommate. You took the chance that you wouldn't have a roommate, which was sometimes the case. Princess shut down that program. Not sure why but I know that some people were very unhappy to be assigned a roommate. Perhaps it became more trouble than it was worth.

The last Princess ship with a true single cabin was the original Regal. There were twelve single cabins on Fiesta deck 4. I think you paid a little more for the cabin but there wasn't a supplement per se.

aba7ubar.jpg

ne4e6ara.jpg

6ajazu9u.jpg

As long as we single cruisers pay the supplement, Princess will charge it. Were enabling them.

On HAL, the Prinsendam has several single cabins.

As long as we single cruisers pay the supplement, Princess will charge it. Were enabling them.

Agree --

When I receive the Sale Brouchers in the mail, I file them in the circular file.

They always have the statement "Does not apply to the Solo traveller".

On the Princess Web Site, when there is a sale, key in "1" and the price goes up. Some times as much as 200% for an Inside.

Know Solos who will not book the Royal/Regal.

They always booked Outside Cabins.

They do not like Inside Cabins.

So, now, on the Royal/Regal, they must book a Balcony.

Hey -- We get two Cruise Crredits -- WOW.

Know Solos who will not book the Royal/Regal.

They always booked Outside Cabins.

They do not like Inside Cabins.

So, now, on the Royal/Regal, they must book a Balcony.

Hey -- We get two Cruise Crredits -- WOW.

I booked an inside on the Royal for my September cruise. First time in over a decade and a lot of cruises because I couldn't justify the over $2,200 price difference between an inside and the cheapest balcony. My biggest issue with an inside before was not knowing what time of day it was. I've bought a good-sized battery-operated clock with big numbers that'll be like a nightlight plus I'll be able to know the time instantly.

Even though the two credits mean little if you're already Elite, they do add up and earn you the little-known loyalty program OBC. I'll get an additional $75 on my upcoming cruise so the credits aren't completely worthless.

It really makes my blood pressure go up when they have a sale and it doesn't apply to solo cabins-hey-I'm already paying as much as a couple, why can't I get a break too? :(

I've had some experience with other cruise lines, and I'm most comfortable with Princess. As a solo cruiser I've never experienced a 200% single supplement. It's been 125-150%, which I think is worth it not to have to share a cabin with someone - unless it's a snuggle bunny that I'm really involved with. More importantly I'm not having to share the bathroom.

I booked an inside on the Royal for my September cruise. First time in over a decade and a lot of cruises because I couldn't justify the over $2,200 price difference between an inside and the cheapest balcony. My biggest issue with an inside before was not knowing what time of day it was. I've bought a good-sized battery-operated clock with big numbers that'll be like a nightlight plus I'll be able to know the time instantly.

Even though the two credits mean little if you're already Elite, they do add up and earn you the little-known loyalty program OBC. I'll get an additional $75 on my upcoming cruise so the credits aren't completely worthless.

I always book Insides and pay the 150/160% solo charge.

Being inside doesn't bother me.

I leave the Bath Room light on and shut the door.

Find that enough light gets into my Cabin around the gap in the Cabin

Door and the Bath Room Door.

You are correct on the Loyality Program.

Every little thing helps.

I am getting ready to take my second solo cruise soon. Yes double the rate and it does kill me. My problem is that I have only ever cruised Princess and it is the comfort level that keeps me coming back. The familiarity with how everything works takes away some of the anxiety of cruising alone.

It would help if they gave you just a little something recognizing all you pay.

Princess has never ever charged me less than double. Often rccl will knock down the single price. Holland America used to only charge 1 1/2 but no longer do that so i stopped cruising on them. Carnival is also double .

I only do princess when I have someone to go with or am desperate.

I did that and even as a solo got a too good to miss inside cabin .:D

Its the same with airlines and hotels.Also I feel loyalty might count as well..:)

P.S. I love my elite perks:)

Edited by kruisey

I always book Insides and pay the 150/160% solo charge.

You are correct on the Loyality Program.

Every little thing helps.

Princess has never ever charged me less than double. Often rccl will knock down the single price. Holland America used to only charge 1 1/2 but no longer do that so i stopped cruising on them. Carnival is also double .

I only do princess when I have someone to go with or am desperate.

It depends on the itinerary and length of the cruise and it will fluctuate before final. I don't mind insides-great for napping during the day on sea days. :)

I will be traveling solo to Alaska in August and was hoping to be seated at a table with other solo travelers wanting to dine with other people. Does Princess automatically group solo travelers together in the MDR or is that something I need to request before hand or on board with the Maitre'd.

Thank you!

Being inside doesn't bother me.

I leave the Bath Room light on and shut the door.

Find that enough light gets into my Cabin around the gap in the Cabin

Door and the Bath Room Door.

Leaving the bathroom light on and the door open is probably a good idea during the day although unless you put a magnetic strip card in the slot on the Royal, that won't work. At night, I often get up during the night to go to the bathroom and the full light would wake me up too much. I always bring a "glow" nightlight for the bathroom.

That reminds me... think I'll bring an old cruise card to use in the slot. :) For those who don't know, the Royal and Regal have a slot next to the door. Putting your cruise card in the slot activates the cabin lights.

The single supplement usually ranges from 150-200%. It depends on the cabin type and category you've booked. If you book an inside, expect to pay a 150% premium. Balconies and mini-suites are usually 200%. That's a general guideline.

Edited by Pam in CA

I have travelled solo on P&O, Cunard and Fred Olsen and always come back to P&O being the friendliest for solos. I have only sailed with Princess with a friend, but can see why it may not come over as being very solo friendly. The same friend went on her own on Crown Princess to Norway and wasn't impressed with the experience as a solo.

I will be traveling solo to Alaska in August and was hoping to be seated at a table with other solo travelers wanting to dine with other people. Does Princess automatically group solo travelers together in the MDR or is that something I need to request before hand or on board with the Maitre'd.

Thank you!

It has been my experience, when traveling as a solo, that I have been a "fill in" at Tables at Traditional Dining.

Say seated, at a six topper, with a family of five.

I do not have a clue who Aunt Minnie is, nor do I care.

So, off to the Buffet or Open Seating I go.

Found that Open Seating is the way to go as a Solo.

You can not request being seated, at Traditional Dining, with other Solos before the Cruise.

The MD sets the Traditional Tables up before each Cruise.

If they have one open spot -- Guess where the Solo goes.

That reminds me... think I'll bring an old cruise card to use in the slot. :) For those who don't know, the Royal and Regal have a slot next to the door. Putting your cruise card in the slot activates the cabin lights.

On the Royal, I got a Business Card at the PSD.

Put it into the slot and it worked.

The single supplement usually ranges from 150-200%. It depends on the cabin type and category you've booked. If you book an inside, expect to pay a 150% premium. Balconies and mini-suites are usually 200%. That's a general guideline.

Correct, I always book Insides. So, usually 150%,

My experience as a solo cruiser on Princess has been nothing but positive. I have only sailed with others once on Princess and that was my first cruise on PCL. Since then, I've been solo and LOVE it.

My upcoming repo on the Royal is the first time I have been charged almost 200%, and so far, zero price drops as is usual on the repos. Also, I have always gotten a price reduction when advertised and have never had the experience of being denied because I was a solo.

I have had varying experiences with dinner seating. I like Traditional,and have met some lovely people, several of whom I am still friends with. I generally enjoy the couples more than the singles that are normally included in the table. There always seem to be one or two singles at the table.

Princess has singles meetings frequently, but I don't attend them. I'm not onboard to meet a mate.

I'm very outgoing so perhaps that's why I enjoy my solo cruises so much, and the crew and passengers are generally fantastic.

Maureen

Princess used to offer a "match" program where you'd book a cabin at the per-person price and Princess would match you with a roommate. You took the chance that you wouldn't have a roommate, which was sometimes the case. Princess shut down that program. Not sure why but I know that some people were very unhappy to be assigned a roommate. Perhaps it became more trouble than it was worth.

[

I personally would not want to share a cabin with a complete stranger ....so many reasons come to mind.....especially privacy.

I did that and even as a solo got a too good to miss inside cabin .:D

Its the same with airlines and hotels.Also I feel loyalty might count as well..:)

P.S. I love my elite perks:)

How do airlines penalize singles?

I lost my cruise companion last year, so am new to solo cruising. Recently did my first inside to keep the cost down, and I was fine with it. Did the bridge cam on the TV with volume turned down overnight thing....worked great. Not thrilled with paying double, but it is what it is.

I don't mind that Princess has a 150-160% up charge for an inside cabin given the alternative is to pay double, which I don't think is fair. With the exception of NCL, I didn't think you could get a more affordable option. I do enjoy the singles option NCL offers however the cabins are very small and are inside cabins but at least they give you an option. I will say they do charge more for the singles room often to the tune of 150% of the double inside rate. I have never found anything like that on RCCL or Carnival, which is why I often avoid those lines. I don't mind an inside cabin as I spend very little time in the room anyway.

Edited by mistyPA

hello,

I would love to get a solo fare for 150% of the cost! Do I keep calling Princess to see if it is available? I will only be able to go on my dream cruise if I can get a better rate.

Thank you for any information.

I lost my cruise companion last year, so am new to solo cruising. Recently did my first inside to keep the cost down, and I was fine with it. Did the bridge cam on the TV with volume turned down overnight thing....worked great. Not thrilled with paying double, but it is what it is.
I've found that joining the roll call is a great way to meet people. I've met fellow travelers who subsequently became very good friends through roll calls and I often cruise as a single but with my CC friends.

As for finding lower rates, it's not easy to find a TA who discounts fares but they're out there. Ask onboard or check with cruising friends. You can often save 10-20% and get OBC and other perks.

I know at least 5 single people who would love to take a cruise but will not pay such a huge up charge for a solo traveller. Princess is missing a segment of society that would love to cruise but not for that kind of price. Wonder what kind of response they would get with a special price sale for solo's and a little advertising?