HAL'S Singles Partner's Program

SASSYnLV

grrrr....I called today to see what the deal was with HAL'S singles partner's program...they match you up with the same sex roomie.

There's no way online to figure out which cruises have this option, you have to call, and the rep on the phone was pretty clueless too.

Anyway, for an oceanview room.....cat E, it's not available in all the categories, the price was $2810. I asked him how much the same room is if there are 2 occupants, and he told me, $2070.

So, HAL is charging you $800 to find you a roomie. Since you're taking a chance with whom they set you up with. I would rather pay the single person supplement. To me it's not a bargain!

Honestly - I can't imagine sharing my stateroom with a stranger! I generally won't even share a stateroom with a friend, and only tolerate sharing with my husband ;-) For my solo cruises NO WAY would I even consider the share program - no way, no how. I find a cruise at a price I can afford and that's the end of it.

Sue/WDW1972

There are places that I really want to go to. I don't go on a cruise by what the price might be, even if it's a bargain.

I've traveled solo before and have paid the single person supplement all those times.

I was just curious to see what their 'deal' was.

Honestly - I can't imagine sharing my stateroom with a stranger! I generally won't even share a stateroom with a friend, and only tolerate sharing with my husband ;-) For my solo cruises NO WAY would I even consider the share program - no way, no how. I find a cruise at a price I can afford and that's the end of it.

Sue/WDW1972

Hi Sue, me too:).......having my own space is too important to me

to give it up.....I don't share with someone I do know, so to share with

someone I don't? Never, ever going to happen. Not in this lifetime.

A big ripoff. Inquired years ago. HAL told me some families use it so their elderly relatives can continue to cruise. You then become an unpaid companion/caretaker.And overpay for privilege.

Basically, not much of a deal at all - unless maybe you'd be booking the highest/most expensive stateroom in that "group" (inside, oceanview, verandah, etc). I can't imagine HAL really wants to be in the roommate business, which may explain why that option isn't particularly attractive from a financial standpoint. If not for financial reasons, why would anyone be interested in doing it? Keeping the cost high will discourage people from following through, yet they can say they offer it ;-)

Sue/wdw1972

lol....my point in posting, was the cost...not whether or not you're willing to share a room.

I think them charging $800 more for the room, when there are 2 people in it, is HIGH.

Basically, not much of a deal at all - unless maybe you'd be booking the highest/most expensive stateroom in that "group" (inside, oceanview, verandah, etc). I can't imagine HAL really wants to be in the roommate business, which may explain why that option isn't particularly attractive from a financial standpoint. If not for financial reasons, why would anyone be interested in doing it? Keeping the cost high will discourage people from following through, yet they can say they offer it ;-)

Sue/wdw1972

Exactly, it's oceanview, thought I had mentioned it. For the cost, I'll take the room to myself, I've done it before.

In my experience there are many HAL solo cruisers. They go in droves to the TA cruises because of the price. I booked a TA for 23 days including 7 days around the med. 2 years ago as a solo for $2300 total. I booked latish so the price had dropped. The cruise was wonderful because so many veteran solo cruisers were on board.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with the cruise line organising a cabin buddy for me! I think I'd go through one of the social network groups specifically set up for cruising solo, if I absolutely could not afford to have a cabin on my own...

I've done a lot of solo land based travel through Asia and just loved it, but sharing with someone completely unknown to me would not make for a relaxing holiday!