First time cruiser - Dining Question

beho88

Hi All,

So I'm super excited for my first cruise ever. Departing from Los Angeles 9/28/14 on the Golden Princess for four days. Anyways, I'm looking at the venues on the princess websites and see some extra/fine dining options and it states there is a cover charge. Is the cover charge in addition to restaurant pricing...or is the cover charge kind of like a buffet, where I pay it and can order all I want?

Also, I'm a super huge seafood fan and see that there is Crabshack restaurant on there. I been researching the forums and see that most plates are about $20pp; is it an all you can eat deal? or $20 per person per plate?

Thanks for all your help!

Just trying to get an idea of how much I should reserve aside for spending and such.

P.S. Anyone had experience with the Gelato Shop on the ship? What about prices? My fiance' is a huge Gelato Fan..

Hi All,

So I'm super excited for my first cruise ever. Departing from Los Angeles 9/28/14 on the Golden Princess for four days. Anyways, I'm looking at the venues on the princess websites and see some extra/fine dining options and it states there is a cover charge. Is the cover charge in addition to restaurant pricing...or is the cover charge kind of like a buffet, where I pay it and can order all I want? The cover charge is all you need to pay for the food in the specialty restaurants. (There may be an extra charge for some lobster at the steak house.) You can order all you care to eat for that charge.

Also, I'm a super huge seafood fan and see that there is Crabshack restaurant on there. I been researching the forums and see that most plates are about $20pp; is it an all you can eat deal? or $20 per person per plate? $20 is the cover charge and it covers all the food you care to eat there.

Just trying to get an idea of how much I should reserve aside for spending and such.

P.S. Anyone had experience with the Gelato Shop on the ship? What about prices? My fiance' is a huge Gelato Fan..

The Golden Princess does not have gelato. However ship-made ice cream is on the menu (no charge) at lunch and dinner in the main dining rooms.

Edited by caribill

At any dining venue, the Main Dining Rooms, Pub Lunch in the Crown Grill (free), Crab Shack in the Horizon Court ($20 cover), Sabatini's ($25 cover) and Crown Grill ($25 cover), you can order as much as you want of any item. Only additional charge is for soft drinks or alcohol. You can go as often as you wish to the Horizon Court buffet, International Cafe, Prego Pizza, Trident Grill and Sundaes Ice Cream Bar (free soft serve ice cream and $2.88 milk shakes). At lunch and dinner in the Main Dining Rooms there will be vanilla and chocolate ice cream along with two rotating flavors and one sorbet. Princess ice cream is usually very good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you wish to have dinner at any of the three surcharge venues you need to call the DINE line to make reservations. Sabatini's and The Crown Grill are separate restaurants on Deck 7 and 6. The Crab Shack uses a closed off section of the Horizon Ct. dining room area. As mentioned you can dine at no extra charge at: The main DR's are open each day for breakfast and dinner and for lunch on sea days. There may be a pub lunch one day served in the Crown Grill (not certain if they will have this on a short cruise). The International Cafe is open 24 hours. The Trident Grill and Prego Pizza are open from 11am until 10/11pm at night. The Horizon Ct. buffet is open from 6am until 11pm/midnight. Room service is also free (except pizza), but most passengers provide an extra tip to the server. Some room service items have charges. They are listed in the room service menu in your cabin. Sushi and Tapas are served at Vines with the purchase of a drink.

Hi All,

So I'm super excited for my first cruise ever. Departing from Los Angeles 9/28/14 on the Golden Princess for four days. Anyways, I'm looking at the venues on the princess websites and see some extra/fine dining options and it states there is a cover charge. Is the cover charge in addition to restaurant pricing...or is the cover charge kind of like a buffet, where I pay it and can order all I want?

Also, I'm a super huge seafood fan and see that there is Crabshack restaurant on there. I been researching the forums and see that most plates are about $20pp; is it an all you can eat deal? or $20 per person per plate?

We were on CB last march. When we dined in Sabatini's, the wife asked the waiter for a recommendation since she could make up her mind. She took his suggestion but the waiter brought both items. Said she should have the chance to enjoy both.

When we did the crab shack, we said we would both like the same item. The waiter brought us each a big bowl of seafood. One bowl would have been more than enough. The waiter said he would have brought more if we wanted. Careful, it's a huge amount of food. And the desserts are fabulous too.

We did the steak place too and it was very nice as well. Pretty much the same thing there too.

Hi All,

I'm getting that your TA didn't tell you that you don't pay to eat in the regular dining rooms (the Canaletto if you have assigned/traditional dining or the Bernini or Donatello if you have anytime dining) or at the buffet (the Horizon Court) or the poolside grill and pizzeria, as well as the International Cafe (which is not an enclosed eatery, but a series of display cases that are in the Piazza, which is the area at the bottom of the Grand Atrium. BTW, make sure you stop by the IC any time you want a light meal or want some yummy treats. The only charge is for any specialty coffees/drinks at the counter to the left. These are all included in your fare (including breakfast at the Horizon or the dining room that's open for breakfast and lunch at any of the above, including one of the dining rooms that will be open on sea days).

If you do decide to try Sabatinis or the Crown Grill, just tell the head waiter while he's roaming around during dinner and he'll be happy to make a reservation for you. But many diners are happy with the non-extra charge dining venues. I don't know about the Crab Shack (as that's new since we were on the Golden last) but I'm allergic to sea food anyway. We did get a complimentary dinner at Sabatinis (which is prix fixe), and there was plenty of food. We're not foodies and really don't eat much so we were filled by the time we left.

There is no Gelato shop on the Golden unless one has been installed since our last cruise on this ship (we got off on 1/2/13).

One of the big draws of cruising is the unlimited food included in your cruise fare. For tightwads like me, I don't have to look at the prices on the menu like at regular restaurants.....and I can order unlimited Lobster tail/shrimp combos on lobster night :D

Hi All,

So I'm super excited for my first cruise ever. Departing from Los Angeles 9/28/14 on the Golden Princess for four days.

Just trying to get an idea of how much I should reserve aside for spending and such...

Welcome aboard and smooth sailing! :) You will love the cruising atmosphere and once they get you hooked, watch out!:eek:

Does anyone know if the crab shack is open for lunch...or just dinner?

This is a very good thread. We'll be on the Golden in January to South America. We sailed her several years ago but I know there are new dining venues now. The crab shack sounds great.

Also, if a Pub Lunch is offered during your cruise, the meal is included in your cruise fare, chances are your choice of beverage to accompany it will be an extra charge.

As a side bar, I eat at the Pub Lunch anytime it's offered. Love the fish & chips as well as the Ploughman's Lunch.