HAL to Texas?

Sat1

Key here is rumor---BUT it may make sense with the Ryndam leaving the fleet and the need for a West Caribbean route home port.

I do think the smaller class ships will be phased out and the larger ships can't sail from Tampa. It makes me sad but the handwriting is on the wall.

On Royal Caribbean board, rumor HAL may visit Houston or Galveston. My first post on this board.

That would be cool - I would drive to Houston. For my needs/desires and after 'this' experience, HAL wouldn't be at the top of my list with the different lines that are in Texas.

Edited by Mytime2014

But it doesn't matter where the ship starts, it matters where the ship goes. The Tampa routes tend to be more western so it would make sense to have a ship on the Gulf side instead of just putting another ship in Fort Lauderdale (Port Canaveral as a home port makes no sense). Also they may draw more midwest cruisers to a closer port. Its only a rumor so let's not go off the deep end.

I wish they would cruise out of Philly!!! They could tie up next to the USS United States!

As a transplant to Texas who hangs his hat in the Austin area, this would make me ecstatic. I've never cruised out of the Texas Gulf, but having the option of a Caribbean HAL ship departing from a mere three hour drive........I could actually cruise more often. Wait & see, wait & see.

While Houston would be closer the air is stupid expensive. I could fly to fll for less and it's much further.

Likely due to United's dominance at IAH. Another option is Southwest into Hobby (HOU), which is actually much closer to the ports. Of course, Southwest doesn't fly to Canada.

Likely due to United's dominance at IAH. Another option is Southwest into Hobby (HOU), which is actually much closer to the ports. Of course, Southwest doesn't fly to Canada.

I think it's more of a situation that they think rich oilman are flying in between Calgary and Houston. If I ever fly on united again it will be too soon. Air canada offers no better price.

Key here is rumor---BUT it may make sense with the Ryndam leaving the fleet and the need for a West Caribbean route home port.

I do think the smaller class ships will be phased out and the larger ships can't sail from Tampa. It makes me sad but the handwriting is on the wall.

I don't know if accurate or not but someone posted just yesterday the Vista Ships would fit under the bridge to sail to/from Tampa.

Are you sure they won't fit?

On Royal Caribbean board, rumor HAL may visit Houston or Galveston. My first post on this board.

Three hour drive from home. It might make me do Carib itineraries again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it should be interesting. I'm with others that say the Vista's will not fit under the bridge out of Tampa, but they certainly would work out of Galveston.

I've check airfare from the West Coast to Galveston before and it is expensive as Cruz Chic mentioned earlier.

Well it should be interesting. I'm with others that say the Vista's will not fit under the bridge out of Tampa, but they certainly would work out of Galveston.

I've check airfare from the West Coast to Galveston before and it is expensive as Cruz Chic mentioned earlier.

Galveston does not have commercial air service. The closest airport is Houston Hobby, which is a major Southwest airport. I am seeing non-stop flights from SNA to HOU for as low as $298 round trip. Of course, there is the matter of getting to the port, which is about 40 miles south in Galveston.

Edited by RJ2002

Galveston does not have commercial air service. The closest airport is Houston Hobby, which is a major Southwest airport. I am seeing non-stop flights from SNA to HOU for as low as $298 round trip. Of course, there is the matter of getting to the port, which is about 40 miles south in Galveston.

You also save if you normally check luggage, since the 1st bag under 50# is free. And to make people happy who feel dirtied/not special enough by the cattle call environment, you can upsell yourself for 12.50 and get special priority.

You also save if you normally check luggage, since the 1st bag under 50# is free. And to make people happy who feel dirtied/not special enough by the cattle call environment, you can upsell yourself for 12.50 and get special priority.

SW has changed the "cattle call" boarding procedure. Now you line up in order of your boarding pass number - it works very well IMO. The $12.50 cost you mention is to move you up in the line.

Its MUCH improved over the old way. Plus, as others have pointed out, free bags.

As to Hobby to Galveston pier, there are shuttles that make the run, so no big deal IMO.

From OKC this is a great option - airfare usually around $200 roundtrip plus you can even drive it.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

SW has changed the "cattle call" boarding procedure. Now you line up in order of your boarding pass number - it works very well IMO. The $12.50 cost you mention is to move you up in the line.

Its MUCH improved over the old way. Plus, as others have pointed out, free bags.

As to Hobby to Galveston pier, there are shuttles that make the run, so no big deal IMO.

DaveOKC

Agree on the boarding process. And with Southwest's point-to-point structure, often times you can get to destinations non-stop, or at least one stop without a change of plane. Add to that generally friendly staff and no regional jets... it's a winner in my book. Used to be a loyal United customer, but no more.

Yes, looks like there are several shuttle services that make runs from both Houston airports.

Would be nice to see HAL add Galveston as an embarkation port. :)

Not sure I would want a 40 mile bus ride after a flight to Houston. I'll stick with FLL.

Not sure I would want a 40 mile bus ride after a flight to Houston. I'll stick with FLL.

It is interstate highway almost the entire way, so really not too bad. About 10 miles more than the Fort Lauderdale/Miami hop that many make. However, as you say, it may not be appealing for some.

I don't know if accurate or not but someone posted just yesterday the Vista Ships would fit under the bridge to sail to/from Tampa.

Are you sure they won't fit?

Interesting - I tried checking details - I believe the bridge has 193 feet clearance. I could not find Vista class masthead above waterline, but I believe keel to masthead is 189 feet - given 26 feet draft, it would seem masthead is about 163 feet above waterline - or has about 30 feet clearance.

in Texas, 40 miles is just down the road a piece ;)...there is an issue with toll roads tho - have to be careful about that.

in Texas, 40 miles is just down the road a piece ;)...there is an issue with toll roads tho - have to be careful about that.

I also would love Hal to cruise out of Texas, but on my last Gavelston cruise there was a accident on the only bridge going to Gavelston and the normal 45 min drive from Hobby became 2 1/2 hours, but I like Gavelston, nice place to spend a night before the cruise. RCCL now crises year round and is moving in Liberity of the seas there in Nov 2015.