Accommodation near port for cruises leaving from LA

The Crowne Plaza in San Pedro is very near the port. Not too far away is the Ports 'O Call with shops and restaurants. There's even a tall ship cruise you can take. The battleship Iowa is within walking distance. You could rent a car or take a taxi to Long Beach where there are restaurants, the Aquarium of the Pacific, and the Queen Mary.

The Crowne Plaza in San Pedro is very near the port. Not too far away is the Ports 'O Call with shops and restaurants. There's even a tall ship cruise you can take. The battleship Iowa is within walking distance. You could rent a car or take a taxi to Long Beach where there are restaurants, the Aquarium of the Pacific, and the Queen Mary.
An alternative might be to stay in Long Beach. There is a Residence Inn and a Doubletree by the Queen Mary. You can walk or take the shuttle boat to the restaurants and shops across the way and the Aquarium and then take a taxi to the pier in San Pedro. I prefer the waterfront location to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. Both areas have some advantages. One thing for sure is that you don't want to stay near the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

San Pedro: Crown Plaza which is within walking distance to lots of waterfront stuff. Doubletree Hotel which is down at the end of the channel near Cabrillo Marina and about a mile from the port area. These are both moderate priced. Economy priced is the Sunrise Best Western right on Harbor Drive. There is a bus to Long Beach, but for one day there are things to do and see right in San Pedro. Look them up.

We have stayed at both the Crowne Plaza and the Double Tree Inn. Overall we prefer the DTI with its park like setting and rooms overlooking the yacht club and marina. The last time we stayed at the CP we found it to becoming a bit tired but arguably it is a little more convenient. Both hotels offer free shuttles to and from the cruise terminal. We have also stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Long Beach but it is a $20 cab fare back to San Pedro.

We have stayed at both the Crowne Plaza and the Double Tree Inn. Overall we prefer the DTI with its park like setting and rooms overlooking the yacht club and marina. The last time we stayed at the CP we found it to becoming a bit tired but arguably it is a little more convenient. Both hotels offer free shuttles to and from the cruise terminal. We have also stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Long Beach but it is a $20 cab fare back to San Pedro.
The Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree in San Pedro are the best choices if you are just staying the night before your cruise. OP said they might be spending a couple of days and the hotels by the Queen Mary in Long Beach is another option for that.

I asked some Jet Blue attendants where they stay in Long Beach as they fly out of there to AK. They have told me that a good place is the Hotel Current...in Long Beach where you could walk to the Pier....and they told me that the price is usually around $50.00/night......Have no idea if this is true...they told me yesterday when they came in to my work and have not had the time to check it out.....but you might look into it if you want something fairly (really) cheap....They said it is clean.....

I stayed at CrownePlaza 5 years ago. It was fine, close to waterfront for a nice walk. Used hotel shuttle to ship. I booked via Pipeline.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

As a "local" I would go for the Long Beach Marriot on Airport Plaza dr, some areas. . . as in all cities can be a little rough around the edges for a tourist. This hotel is new and close to the 405 fwy, if you have a few days to look around, this gets you closer to disney and other attractions. If you want to stay close to Pedro then Crowne Plaza is your best bet.

Crowne Plaza is always our choice when we cruise out of San Pedro. We also rent a car at LAX (usually spend a few days precruise) and return it to Crowne Plaza. Of course you would have to rent from Enterprise, since they are the only rental agency in this area.

I asked some Jet Blue attendants where they stay in Long Beach as they fly out of there to AK. They have told me that a good place is the Hotel Current...in Long Beach where you could walk to the Pier....and they told me that the price is usually around $50.00/night......Have no idea if this is true...they told me yesterday when they came in to my work and have not had the time to check it out.....but you might look into it if you want something fairly (really) cheap....They said it is clean.....

I agree about staying in Long Beach on general.

Thats where we end up.

We have stayed at both the Crowne and the DT.

Don't like either choice in San Pedro.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Would like some information regarding a convenient place to look for a couple of nights accommodation before leaving on a cruise from LA. After the long flight from Australia we will need a couple of nights to get over the jet lag. Thanks:)

The Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree in San Pedro are the best choices if you are just staying the night before your cruise. OP said they might be spending a couple of days and the hotels by the Queen Mary in Long Beach is another option for that.

Oh really, and where exactly did the OP say they would like stay somewhere by the Queen Mary....or are you seeing something that I may have missed....I know I am getting more senile by the day.

For a truly unique experience and to get that cruising feeling going from the moment your vacation begins, you might want to consider staying on the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

http://www.queenmary.com/

I've toured the Queen Mary and have seen some of the rooms. No way would I want to stay in there. Dark; like a dungeon. And it smells mildewy.

This is just flat-out BAD INFORMATION.

The Hotel Current is clear on the other side of Long Beach...nowhere near even the Long Beach pier, let alone the "LA" pier--which is clear across the harbor in San Pedro...

I guess you could "walk to the pier" from there--if you are in really great shape and have several days in which to make the walk!! :)

If you just want to relax before a cruise out of Los Angeles (which, in the case of most cruise lines except Carnival, means San Pedro), then, to avoid most stress and hassles, I would strongly recommend staying in San Pedro...at either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree...Those are the two nicest hotels there and the only ones that meet my personal standards (which, of course, may be higher than some other folks'...but I like places that are nice, upscale, comfortable, clean and conveniently located).

Long Beach has a lot to offer...and some nice hotels...and, if you are cruising on Carnival, convenient to the cruise pier they use...but, my strong recommendation is to keep it to this list: Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Hyayt at the Pike, Residence Inn Downtown, Maya Doubletree, Hilton. Period. Don't venture from that list...even a couple of miles away may put you in a bad neighborhood. But, if you are cruising out of San Pedro, expect that costly taxi ride to the pier...

Good luck...

I've toured the Queen Mary and have seen some of the rooms. No way would I want to stay in there. Dark; like a dungeon. And it smells mildewy.

We're staying there the night before our repositioning cruise. We have a suite with a harbor view. I think it's going to be a blast! I may take the haunted ship tour, too.

Our rollcall is having a cocktail party there so it will be easy to crawl back to our room. ;)

We had dinner on the Queen Mary for my birthday last year and toured the ship afterwards. Not really impressive by modern standards and I wouldn't spend the night there as I like more creature comforts.

Oh really, and where exactly did the OP say they would like stay somewhere by the Queen Mary....or are you seeing something that I may have missed....I know I am getting more senile by the day.
OP's question was.
Would like some information regarding a convenient place to look for a couple of nights accommodation before leaving on a cruise from LA. After the long flight from Australia we will need a couple of nights to get over the jet lag. Thanks:)
The Doubletree and Crowne Plaza are the two options for staying the night before a cruise. But for a longer stay with some time for relaxation and decompression from travel, Long Beach is an option, but only the hotels by the cruise port and therefore my reference to the Queen Mary.

As Bruin Steve said, there are only a few hotels I would consider in San Pedro or Long a Beach and his list sounds pretty good. Of the Long Beach hotels, I like being across the bridge by the Queen Mary and that is the Residence Inn Downtown and the Maya Doubletree. We have stayed at the Residence Inn but the Maya probably has a better location.

Edited by IECalCruiser

We stayed at Hotel Maya in February, I wasn't too impressed. The bathrooms were horribly designed and the rooms were small. No curtains either, just window louvers and you can't block the light out very well at night, which I hate. I just stayed at the Courtyard Marriott this weekend, and it was so much nicer.

We're going with the Queen Mary this time for fun. I wouldn't do it for more than one night, but we're adventurous and we plan to have fun exploring the old ship.