Overweight person/Princess ships

hollon

My sister is overweight and had a stroke years back, is it really difficult for an overweight/stroke person to enjoy, do activities on ships,shore excursions, get up on deck, etc, We're thinking about the Coral. I have the money but something just doesn't feel right/excited about this Alaska trip, can someone motivate me (as sad as that sounds, or just help out). any and all information is greatly appreciated :) Also, I noticed on the Harv/Marv website it says "find another whale watching if you can't climb a few stairs, or walk 1/2 mile, hummmmm

My sister is overweight and had a stroke years back, is it really difficult for an overweight/stroke person to enjoy, do activities on ships,shore excursions, get up on deck, etc, We're thinking about the Coral. I have the money but something just doesn't feel right/excited about this Alaska trip, can someone motivate me (as sad as that sounds, or just help out). any and all information is greatly appreciated :) Also, I noticed on the Harv/Marv website it says "find another whale watching if you can't climb a few stairs, or walk 1/2 mile, hummmmm

You don't mention what your interests are, but if your sister's health and mobility are real issues (and they seem to be), Alaska might be the wrong cruise destination. Perhaps another cruise where there are sightseeing tours that require almost no walking or are wheelchair accessible might make more sense. Many excursions in Alaska are going to have at least a small amount of walking or stair climbing. Another consideration is the pronblem of tendering in those ports that might require it. Just a thought.

Edited by Mike2131

I would respectfully disagree with Mike. We have seen plenty of overweight people on our Alaska cruises, as well as those using walkers, wheelchairs and scooters. A small boat whale watching excursion like Harv and Marv is likely not your best choice, but a larger boat excursion that you could book through Orca Enterprises or your ship would probably be more accessible for a person with physical disabilities. While you may be limited in the more strenuous types of excursions, there are others that are more sight seeing oriented and not as demanding. A good idea would be to review the Alaska Excursions on the Princess web site. They have a key that tells you the level of activity required. You could simply choose those that are very low on the physical demand scale. You shouldn't miss out on Alaska. Just be prepared to choose wisely!

I think cruising above all other types of travel is easiest for someone with a disability. She can do as much or little as she wishes and scenery in AK is especially wonderful. A cruise is a place where others cruising can do an excursion while (if that's the choice) the other stays onboard just to enjoy the ship/scenery. There is always a place to rest! You have a cabin.

Thanks, I was gonna do the whale watching in Juneau, so waiting to hear from Orca Ent., Does anyone know why their cheaper than Harv/Marv? Also, The train up and bus back w/ Chikhoot charters, I know I spelled that wrong... What about the train, would we have any problems there? I wanted to do 26 glacier tour before our cruise, any thoughts? I wanted to do the Misty Forge helicopter, but will probably have to pay twice for a person of her size? Thanks all :)

Keep in mind that Orca Enterprises with larger boats can carry more passengers which likely allows them to charge a bit less. We really enjoyed our tour with them and they have an excellent reputation. We have also done the train/van tour with Chilkoot Charters and it is not strenuous. You may want to consult with them regarding seating issues for an extra large person on the train and in the van. They are very helpful. You should just give them a call.

Thanks, I was gonna do the whale watching in Juneau, so waiting to hear from Orca Ent., Does anyone know why their cheaper than Harv/Marv? Also, The train up and bus back w/ Chikhoot charters, I know I spelled that wrong... What about the train, would we have any problems there? I wanted to do 26 glacier tour before our cruise, any thoughts? I wanted to do the Misty Forge helicopter, but will probably have to pay twice for a person of her size? Thanks all :)

I know some tours have weight limits but not sure how it works. As far as 26 Glaciers, we did a tour with Major Marine last summer in Whittier-Surprise Glacier. Funny I originally was going to book a cruise with a special that 26 glaciers had and when I called they told me that I had to book through Princess (I thought weird) so I didn't since much more cost. Anyway, I found out that there was an Alaska discount book and they had a buy one get one free coupon for Major Marine. So that is what we did. We also had their lunch on board which was great for $19.00. The lunch was not in the buy 1 get one but well worth the cost. Not sure if same coupons this year but the book was Northern Lights and we ordered through our local Barnes and Noble and they shipped it from the Anchorage store.

I think you need to call each vendor and ask them very specific questions. ie how many steps, is their an incline, is their a railing, what kind of surface, is there a lift/ramp, etc.

In a recent trip report someone asked about the excursion that went on a boat then a lodge for the crab feast .... turns out there were many stairs to the lodge. However the lodge could provide a van to the door. BUT, there was also a steep incline from the boat to land. So you really need to inquire about all the details surrounding the trip.

I would definitely call the various vendors you are planning on taking. And I WOULD NOT rely on the cruiseline for information on level of activity. When we cruised the MED on Princess their excursions showed a straight line with the little man walking, and it ended up being very steep up hill/down hill in the town of San G. We loved the winery, but was very limited in San G as we have limited walking mobility and one passenger was using a walker and waiting at the entrance for the group to return. Since our time was split between the Winery and San G, we tried to get Princess to reimburse for part of the excursion, but were denied any compensation. With Princess stating "they do the best they can in the description of the excursion".

Alaska is a beautiful destination, even if you stay on the ship or close to the pier. The size of the passenger may be more of an issue than the wheelchair.

As a former large lady I can highly recommend an Alaska cruise.

First, you might want to consider having her rent a scooter. It'll make the cruise easier and more enjoyable for her (and you) and it will give her some independence. If she's not up to moving around much there are plenty of places to sit on the ship and enjoy the scenery. We've seen tons of whales, seals, bald eagles and even bears from the ship's deck.

If she wants to explore off the ship... Some of the easiest that I've done are the the train in Skagway, the Mendenhall/Salmon bake in Juneau, and the Deadliest Catch tour in Ketchikan. Helicopter rides do charge a surcharge for anyone over 250 pounds. It's usually around $150. Float planes typically don't charge a surcharge. If she can handle a few steps there are many excursions where she can get on the bus for sightseeing. These last few years I've spent a lot of time just hanging out at all the ports and really getting to know each community.

Probably the biggest issue is the size of the showers but that's the case for lots of folks.

Next week it'll be Alaska cruise number nine for me so yes, it can certainly be done!

Edited by idahospud

As a former large lady I can highly recommend an Alaska cruise.

First, you might want to consider having her rent a scooter. It'll make the cruise easier and more enjoyable for her (and you) and it will give her some independence. If she's not up to moving around much there are plenty of places to sit on the ship and enjoy the scenery. We've seen tons of whales, seals, bald eagles and even bears from the ship's deck.

If she wants to explore off the ship... Some of the easiest that I've done are the the train in Skagway, the Mendenhall/Salmon bake in Juneau, and the Deadliest Catch tour in Ketchikan. Helicopter rides do charge a surcharge for anyone over 250 pounds. It's usually around $150. Float planes typically don't charge a surcharge. If she can handle a few steps there are many excursions where she can get on the bus for sightseeing. These last few years I've spent a lot of time just hanging out at all the ports and really getting to know each community.

Probably the biggest issue is the size of the showers but that's the case for lots of folks.

Next week it'll be Alaska cruise number nine for me so yes, it can certainly be done!

Thanks to all, what kind of cabin are/have you been in, I feel like I need to get a suite, or do you think mini suites are good (more space) The handicap rooms are gone already. On the whitepass, was that hard? I've been on it, train up and bus back, but didn't pay attention to the steps b/c I don't have trouble. I know you get off at caracross, was that trouble? I'm thinking of the Coral, what ship are you going on? Thanks for all the help. How much did you pay for the scooter (If you rented one)

OP,

You really should go over to the disabled board and give specifics of what your travel companion can/can't do and the ports. And you will have to contact tour operators directly.

I am taking someone with a mobility issue to Alaska next month and we are renting a scooter and taking rollator.

You need to get in touch with the Special Needs department for the cruiseline or have your TA do it. Most cruiseline tours have steps though.

To give you ideas, we are doing the following:

1) Skagway: either White Pass train (only one car is wheelchair accessible so you have to go thru Special needs dept for cruiseline or your TA) or rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake.

2) Juneau: Orca Enterprise: whale watch and Mendenhall Glacier and helicopter glacier landing (she is not getting out)

3) Ketchikan: Misty Fjords floatplane with Island Wings

4) ISP: whale watch arranged through Special Needs dept with cruiseline.

We are also renting car and doing inland trip for a week.

Alaska is beautiful. I hope you don't miss it. Good luck.

I seem to remember that in a couple of stops on excursions there were floating docks with climb angles that varied from moderate to extremely steep. The angle changes with the ebb and flow of the water. So, there MIGHT be instances where a person could board a vessel easily, but then have a significantly difficult time when disembarking. In other words, it is not just getting on and off a boat that could be the issue.

Others might have a photo of what I mean....or can possibly express it more successfully?

I seem to remember that in a couple of stops on excursions there were floating docks with climb angles that varied from moderate to extremely steep. The angle changes with the ebb and flow of the water. So, there MIGHT be instances where a person could board a vessel easily, but then have a significantly difficult time when disembarking. In other words, it is not just getting on and off a boat that could be the issue.

Others might have a photo of what I mean....or can possibly express it more successfully?

Yes, we can have double digit tides in Southeast Alaska. So your vessels may 'drop' or 'rise' significantly.

The float plane idea might be a bit dicey. It is a bit hard to get into and out of, but the major issue is the seat size for a large passenger. Better check with the vendor ahead of time.

DaveOKC

Yes, we can have double digit tides in Southeast Alaska. So your vessels may 'drop' or 'rise' significantly.

This may be an issue not only for tours, but just getting on and off the cruise ship. I just returned from the Coral Princess and the gangplank was often very steep, depending on the tide (which changed during the day.)

The deck where we debarked would actually change throughout the day and varied between decks 5, 6, and 7. Also depending on the steepness, the gangplank sometimes was just a ramp...other times it was an aluminum set of steps.

I don't have a great photo, but this might help you have an idea of what to expect:

IMG_1449.JPG

This may be an issue not only for tours, but just getting on and off the cruise ship. I just returned from the Coral Princess and the gangplank was often very steep, depending on the tide (which changed during the day.)

The deck where we debarked would actually change throughout the day and varied between decks 5, 6, and 7. Also depending on the steepness, the gangplank sometimes was just a ramp...other times it was an aluminum set of steps.

I don't have a great photo, but this might help you have an idea of what to expect:

IMG_1449.JPG

oh, thanks for the photo, i forgot about the gangplank