Severe Allegic Reaction - Any Advice?

acbat1

We are leaving on the Breeze next Saturday and about two weeks ago my nephew had a first time severe allergic reaction. The Dr's have said it was to nuts but they are still testing to find out which ones. We know it was cashews because my Mother knew what he ate before it happened. Anyway my sister is not coming and I have his Epi Pen. But are there any other things we should/can do to make sure we don't have an incident while on board. He is 6.

Thanks

We are leaving on the Breeze next Saturday and about two weeks ago my nephew had a first time severe allergic reaction. The Dr's have said it was to nuts but they are still testing to find out which ones. We know it was cashews because my Mother knew what he ate before it happened. Anyway my sister is not coming and I have his Epi Pen. But are there any other things we should/can do to make sure we don't have an incident while on board. He is 6.

Thanks

Tough one, especially being responsible for someone else's child. Contact Carnival and explain the problem:

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

You'll want to be sure you're hooked up with the dining room manager to have a menu planned once you board and the Camp Carnival people to ensure nothing is given to him accidentally. Good luck.

Avoid nuts in general. Just because she assumes it was cashews does not mean that is what it was.

Grill her for any other possible causes that she could think of. It could have been something he was exposed to hours before the reaction started.

Keep the Epi pen out of sun light and heat. Store in a cool, dark place. I'll say again, keep it in a cool and dark place and limit exposure to heat and light as much as possible as it kills the efficacy of the Epi pen.

Before I comment further, please explain what this 'severe' reaction was. What you consider to be severe may actually be minor.

Sorry to hear. Few years back this happened to our friends daughter. Problem was we were on the plane on our way to catch our cruise. She had never had an allergic reaction and on that flight she ate (as always) the trail mix snacks given out.....well before we knew it we had to get a dr. (luckily one was on board) to administer an epi pen (needed clearance from tower before allowed to open medical case).

For that cruise we went to dining room as soon as we were able and alerted them to her new food allergy. Everything was prepared esp. for her and the waitstaff informed her parents what she was and was not allowed to order off the menu.

Every meal for her had to be eaten in the dining room only though! (Breakfast lunch and dinner) because that was the only way to ensure no nuts were added or cross contamination. They can't and will not guarantee the same for the buffet.

Just take these extra precautions and everyone will be able to have a great time!!!

Avoid nuts in general. Just because she assumes it was cashews does not mean that is what it was.

Grill her for any other possible causes that she could think of. It could have been something he was exposed to hours before the reaction started.

Keep the Epi pen out of sun light and heat. Store in a cool, dark place. I'll say again, keep it in a cool and dark place and limit exposure to heat and light as much as possible as it kills the efficacy of the Epi pen.

Before I comment further, please explain what this 'severe' reaction was. What you consider to be severe may actually be minor.

He had not ate that day except a veggie blend my mom made and tried to get him to taste. It had broccoli, squash, bananas, blue berries and cashews (cashews were the only item he had never had before). Within 10 minutes he had hives everywhere, swollen eyes and a lot of sneezing and uncontrollable mucus. By the time he got to the hospital 35 minutes after eating they said there was slight swelling around his heart. I will definitely not be letting him eat anything that even sound like nut. Will call carnival and notify them. I know the registration form for Camp Carnival ask but I will make sure I notify a director. Cool dark place for epi pen (thanks got it).

Sorry to hear. Few years back this happened to our friends daughter. Problem was we were on the plane on our way to catch our cruise. She had never had an allergic reaction and on that flight she ate (as always) the trail mix snacks given out.....well before we knew it we had to get a dr. (luckily one was on board) to administer an epi pen (needed clearance from tower before allowed to open medical case).

For that cruise we went to dining room as soon as we were able and alerted them to her new food allergy. Everything was prepared esp. for her and the waitstaff informed her parents what she was and was not allowed to order off the menu.

Every meal for her had to be eaten in the dining room only though! (Breakfast lunch and dinner) because that was the only way to ensure no nuts were added or cross contamination. They can't and will not guarantee the same for the buffet.

Just take these extra precautions and everyone will be able to have a great time!!!

Glad it worked out for you all. We will contact Carnival now and follow up on board. Thanks

I have an allergy to peanuts. When I board the ship, I meet with the maitre'd first thing and let him know of my allergy. I am then assigned a hostess who meets with me each evening and allows me to choose my meals for the next day. Not only dinner, but if we are eating in the dining room for b'fast and lunch, you can choose those meals also.

I would also check with the camp counselors. I think the form has a place where you can write in allergies??

Have a great cruise!!!

He had not ate that day except a veggie blend my mom made and tried to get him to taste. It had broccoli, squash, bananas, blue berries and cashews (cashews were the only item he had never had before). Within 10 minutes he had hives everywhere, swollen eyes and a lot of sneezing and uncontrollable mucus. By the time he got to the hospital 35 minutes after eating they said there was slight swelling around his heart. I will definitely not be letting him eat anything that even sound like nut. Will call carnival and notify them. I know the registration form for Camp Carnival ask but I will make sure I notify a director. Cool dark place for epi pen (thanks got it).

I bow down to your cashew conclusion. :D

I would also classify this as a severe reaction - more so since this is his first known ingestion of cashews. As they likely told you, the tricky thing about nut allergies is how they progress. The next exposure could be much more severe and the symptoms could present much faster and with more severity.

Please consider purchasing a backup (or two, or three) Epi-pen and familiarize yourself with their storage requirements. A lot of providers fail with proper education of their patients and family about how easy it is to ruin an epi pen. Also, I'd encourage you/your family to discuss giving him Benadryl along with the epi pen if he has another reaction. The epi pens can wear off quickly.

Severe nut allergies require a life-long commitment from the patient, family and friends to avoid dangerous exposures. There are support groups on the internet that can help introduce your family into this new lifestyle.

Best of luck, and I hope you all enjoy your cruise. As said, contacting Carnival in advance will be a big help. Carnival is wonderful with taking care of special needs.

You should also pack children's benadryl in case he has a less serious reaction. I would also have an extra epi-pen and notarized written permission for you to seek medical treatment in case of a problem.

Parental permission not needed when facing life threatening emergency - which this certainly qualifies as. But in the grand scheme of things this is good advice.

My adult daughter has been developing allergies all of her life. She just recently discovered an allergy to Broccoli. She also reacts to bananas, fish and nuts. As a precaution if your sister still has the can with the cashews check to see if there is a warning on the label. Some nut products are not peanut free which is also a common allergen.

I mention the other foods she reacts to because we believe she is allergic to something in common with these items.

I think identifying exactly what he is allergic to is essential in managing his food intake.

DD has allergies to Peanuts and Treenuts. She has sailed many times on Carnival, hasn't had a problem.

Haven't seen cashews on the new or old menus. Have seen Peanuts, Walnuts and Almonds.

Kid's Club--

The Medical Form does not have nuts on it, it needs to be written in.

For dinners they usually serve kid friendly fare- nuggets, pizza etc. DD says she was never served anything with nuts in it.

Buffet--

Most things are labeled in the buffet BUT be careful of cross contamination. Some of the desserts have ground up nuts hidden in them. Speak with the hostess or Lido Chef for info.

The Mongolian Wok is especially treacherous. The woks are swished and the lids aren't cleaned between uses.

MDR--

-Speak with the Hostess upon boarding (around 1:30). She should take his order then. Also for Breakfast and Brunch(seaday) the next day. He can order off the Kid's or Adult Menu. If he is undecided, he can order it all.

-When arriving at dinner your waitstaff will have his order available. If doing ATD his order will be at the hostess stand to be presented to the waitstaff.

--Roomservice

Most things do not have nuts. Obviously the PBJ has peanuts. The Chocolate cake has had a strip of nuts as decoration. If in doubt, ask!

Onshore--

When we travel to countries where we do not speak the language I make up Allergy Cards for DD. Helped tremendously in Italy.

selectwisely . com has ready made versions of these cards.

-Only prepackaged foods can be brought off the ship-- cereal boxes, Nutrigrain Bars, cheese n crackers, hard candies, etc. Fruit is a big NO NO. You do not want the cute Lab sitting next to you.

In General-- Learn what else has can have nuts. We know that mole' has either almonds or peanuts. Xanthan Gum is from legumes (peanuts are legumes) and now that she is in college she has had to figure out which alcohols to avoid.

Thanks

Please make sure that you connect with the Maitre'd or Assistant Maitre'd once on-board to ensure they are aware of the allergy...they will guide you as to the selections which may contain nuts so your nephew can avoid a reaction. However, this does not apply to the venue's outside of the Main Dining Room...you will need to be on alert at the buffet area, and if he is attending Camp Carnival, the staff there will also need to know this information, and have his epi-pen on hand.

Given that you will be on a ship, in the middle of the ocean, it may be helpful if you have 2 epi-pens to go with you on the ship. I only suggest this because if you happen to lose it, you will at least have a back-up. We do this with DH's asthma inhalers...an extra prescription from the Dr...they never usually leave the suitcase, but are there in case of loss.

You may also want to contact Carnival's Special Needs department and let them know.

As a side note, there is a TV commercial that has been showing recently from Health Canada...shows a young girl demonstrating how to use an epi-pen "Blue to the sky, Orange to the thigh". Not sure if your epi-pens look the same, but it is useful information to know (have never used an epi-pen, and would not have known how to use it...and there's not enough time to read the instructions in an emergency). I will remember "Blue to the sky, Orange to the thigh".

Wishing you a stress free and healthy cruise !

Edited by K&P Luv2Cruise

This is a moderate to severe reaction by healthcare standards; however, it is not an anaphylactic reaction, which is what the epi-pen is for. True anaphylaxis is swelling of the tongue, throat, or airway. In cases of anaphylaxis where an epi-pen is used, almost all patients require a second epi injection before the reaction is completely resolved.

Benadryl is a must as well as Pepcid. Both are antihistamines, but they act on different receptors. Make sure the pediatrician is aware of the travel plans. Get their recommendations.

Good Luck and safe travels.

I'm also allergic to nuts. I've been on several cruises with no problems.

The advice about notifying the maitre d upon arrival is valuable. For my first couple of cruises, I simply told the waiter...who did nothing. Several desserts came out with nuts on the plate (pies especially.) And instead of arguing I just skipped dessert those nights and grabbed an ice cream cone from lido deck. In retrospect, I should have made a bigger deal about it.

Anyway, now I know about notifying the maitre d. On my last cruise, a lady came by the table each night with the following day's menu and took my order to be prepared separately. It's awesome, and usually everybody at the table wants to know what's for dinner the following night. So you can also pass the menu around so they can have a sneak peak.

Hopefully the kid's reaction scared them enough that they know to be aware of what they are eating. If not, you should sit them down and have a serious chat about what they should be avoiding.

If there is ever any doubt, just don't eat it. It's not worth chancing it for a cookie or a piece of pie.

:D I just spoke to my nephew and told him if I didn't love him so much I would leave him at home (just kidding) but he assured me as long as the ice cream machine is not off limits he will be fine. Gotta love how kids look at things.

I'll be very vigilant thanks to you all!

This has been eyeopening and great advice.

:D I just spoke to my nephew and told him if I didn't love him so much I would leave him at home (just kidding) but he assured me as long as the ice cream machine is not off limits he will be fine. Gotta love how kids look at things.

I'll be very vigilant thanks to you all!

This has been eyeopening and great advice.

You'd be nuts to not bring him! (Hehehe, Sea what I did there?) [Double points!]

DH is a Pediatrician and I have a walnut allergy. Ask nephew's pediatrician if he has a small Auvi-Q (epi pen) trainer you can practice with. It speaks to you and tells you exactly what to do. I teach school and every person on our staff, from the principal to the custodian, has to be trained on an epi pen. It would not hurt to practice the procedure. It is a scary time anyway when one is needed, so practice makes perfect (and more confident, too!)

Have a great trip!

DH is a Pediatrician and I have a walnut allergy. Ask nephew's pediatrician if he has a small Auvi-Q (epi pen) trainer you can practice with. It speaks to you and tells you exactly what to do. I teach school and every person on our staff, from the principal to the custodian, has to be trained on an epi pen. It would not hurt to practice the procedure. It is a scary time anyway when one is needed, so practice makes perfect (and more confident, too!)

Have a great trip!

Trainers are for the birds. Practice with the real thing and make life interesting.

If you are flying be sure to notify the airline, the peanut dust can cause an allergy to trigger, have noticed a lot of time Delta does not hand out the peanuts. I always thought it was because someone on the play was allergic.

I second the epi pen! There was a guy who lived near me that got stung by a bee and had an allergic reaction, and passed away before he could get help. No prior history of allergy to bee sting. Allergies are dangerous, and should be taken seriously.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

This happened to my cousin. After testing it turned out to be bananas that caused it, but he is also allergic to cashews. He had bananas as a child, but not for many years before the reaction at age 22. So, even though your nephew had those foods before, I would avoid them on the cruise to be on the safe side.