Severe Allegic Reaction - Any Advice?

acbat1

This is a moderate to severe reaction by healthcare standards; however, it is not an anaphylactic reaction, which is what the epi-pen is for. True anaphylaxis is swelling of the tongue, throat, or airway. In cases of anaphylaxis where an epi-pen is used, almost all patients require a second epi injection before the reaction is completely resolved.

Benadryl is a must as well as Pepcid. Both are antihistamines, but they act on different receptors. Make sure the pediatrician is aware of the travel plans. Get their recommendations.

Good Luck and safe travels.

Having a child with a tree nut/peanut allergy and an physician FIL (whose med school roommate became an allergist), nut allergies usually progress so even if the first reaction was not anapylactic, subsequent reactions are likely to progress toward it :( Therefore, for my daughter, we always make sure we have Benadryl AND epi-pens on hand, just in case.

Also, to the OP, PLEASE make sure your sister confirms what the allergies are before traveling. You might be surprised to find that he's allergic to more than nuts or that nuts weren't the culprit. A little girl in my daughter's preschool class was severely allergic to MANY things (nuts, tree nuts, broccoli, bananas, etc.)!

Just yesterday, I filled out the Camp Carnival forms for my daughter and I did notice that I had to list nuts specifically. You can register the child online and even have the form filled out before boarding.

Severe anaphylactic response to a plethora of nuts for ~40 years and still alive! It's tricky to adjust to but not an insurmountable task. While yes, it may actually be life or death, it doesn't have to be life defining. Learning good food safety habits now will let him and those around him continue to eat happily and easily moving forward. The recs here are all great, I would add that my two biggest sources of accidental ingestion over the years have been dessert crusts with ground nuts mixed in and non-nut cookies that were cooked on the same surfaces as nut death cookies. Staying away from baked goods until you become more experienced allergen avoiders isn't the worst idea. But become good! Embrace pie!

This may seem obvious, but don't forget that the epi-pen/benedryl should go anywhere the child goes. While this makes it harder to keep it cool/dry/shaded, you wouldn't want to need your pen immediately and be on an excursion somewhere. I've seen kids wear them in fanny packs, but I think that'd be hard on a cruise with all the water activities kids do.

Also, when traveling with your epi, you will want the box with the prescription label. I am assuming (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that Camp Carnival will take the child's epi since he is so young with his food allergy. A lot of child care programs require that they can see the actual prescription per the physician in order to assume the liability of medicating. Also, if he has some type of allergy action plan, I'd bring that too!

DH never had allergies as a kid, but now he is allergic to lots of things. His most severe allergy is to bananas. His Dr. said if he ever eats another banana, he could be dead in a few minutes.

Younger DS, now age 22, had severe food allergies when he was a kid: milk, soy, chocolate, corn, oranges, wheat, chicken and beef. For 20 years all it seemed he could eat were fresh fruits and vegetables along with 100% juices. Now he joyfully eats cheesecake, ice cream, yogurt, corn, bread, burgers, chicken tenders, etc. all without any problem.

You just never know what could be the problem. Be prepared!

My oldest is allergic to tree nuts. He also reacts to several fruits that are known to have cross reactions with tree nuts - particularly peaches, plums, and apples. I know people are throwing a lot of info at you and I don't mean to add to the throng but just be careful and keep that epi-pen handy. And have a great time!!!!!!

Thanks Everyone. It is a little over whelming right now but I'm going to take this weekend to get comfortable with his situation. I wish it had not just happen because then my sister might be more educated on it but since we all just found out looks like we'll be researching together.

This may seem obvious, but don't forget that the epi-pen/benedryl should go anywhere the child goes. While this makes it harder to keep it cool/dry/shaded, you wouldn't want to need your pen immediately and be on an excursion somewhere. I've seen kids wear them in fanny packs, but I think that'd be hard on a cruise with all the water activities kids do.

Also, when traveling with your epi, you will want the box with the prescription label. I am assuming (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that Camp Carnival will take the child's epi since he is so young with his food allergy. A lot of child care programs require that they can see the actual prescription per the physician in order to assume the liability of medicating. Also, if he has some type of allergy action plan, I'd bring that too!

I have a one year old with us too so all meds will be in the diaper bag I have to tote everywhere

But are there any other things we should/can do to make sure we don't have an incident while on board. He is 6.

Thanks

Have a notarized letter specifying dates of travel and that you have permission to take the child as well as make any medical decisions. If there is an issue on board and you are not authorized for medical decisions that could be hairy.

Thanks Everyone. It is a little over whelming right now but I'm going to take this weekend to get comfortable with his situation. I wish it had not just happen because then my sister might be more educated on it but since we all just found out looks like we'll be researching together.

I have a one year old with us too so all meds will be in the diaper bag I have to tote everywhere

Is your sister comfortable letting him go? How do you feel about it? Chances are things will be okay using diet precautions, but where the situation is so new, it's scarey. Will the child be told about not sneaking things like desserts?

Is your sister comfortable letting him go? How do you feel about it? Chances are things will be okay using diet precautions, but where the situation is so new, it's scarey. Will the child be told about not sneaking things like desserts?

She took him to the Dr. today and he issued us some precautions to take but said he is fine. She is fine with him coming (She is still trying to come to b/c it was such a great deal :D ). He has been schooled on putting nothing in his mouth until ok'd by me or grandma.

My biggest thing is what someone mentioned earlier about eating in other countries where they may cook things differently or trying something we don't eat here. So he won't be allowed to explore new foods.

DH is a Pediatrician and I have a walnut allergy. Ask nephew's pediatrician if he has a small Auvi-Q (epi pen) trainer you can practice with. It speaks to you and tells you exactly what to do. I teach school and every person on our staff, from the principal to the custodian, has to be trained on an epi pen. It would not hurt to practice the procedure. It is a scary time anyway when one is needed, so practice makes perfect (and more confident, too!)

Have a great trip!

This epi pen is great to have! I carry it when I'm not with ppl who know how to use an epipen (or I don't know if they do)

She took him to the Dr. today and he issued us some precautions to take but said he is fine. She is fine with him coming (She is still trying to come to b/c it was such a great deal :D ). He has been schooled on putting nothing in his mouth until ok'd by me or grandma.

My biggest thing is what someone mentioned earlier about eating in other countries where they may cook things differently or trying something we don't eat here. So he won't be allowed to explore new foods.

Dealing with allergies will get easier as time goes by. DD has had more problems at school (K-12) than anywhere else.

You might be able to keep the epipens cool in a large Frio insulin storage pouch if cruising in hot weather. You can find them on Amazon in different sizes. You soak them in cool water for a short period and then keep them ventilated but out of direct sunlight. They keep insulin cool for several days. Best of luck!