How much cash to bring?

As others have mentioned, you can get cash at the cage charged onto your shipboard account for a 5% fee. It doesn't matter if you're using it for slots, table games, or to buy a T-shirt in port.

If you want more than ~$100 (but less than the limit of either the ATM or your bank) you're better off using the ATM (flat fee of $5-6)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Well, I guess the wifey won't be gambling as much then. Thanks! :D

Edited by Out to sea!

Just a reminder to notify ALL your CC company/ies that you'll be travelling. I called Amex but not my credit union. I wanted to buy a ring in St. Thomas and use money that I had in that account from a jewelry gift return. (In my mind it would be a wash and not cost me anything:D) The charge was declined. It made me realize that, if I had lost my Amex, I would have to use my back-up card, and I hadn't called that company either.

If you plan on purchasing "duty free" items that total more than $800, be sure you have cash on you. When they say "duty free," we weren't aware that it only applies to the first $800 (felt so stupid) :o

My husband bought me a beautiful alexandrite and diamond ring in Falmouth, Jamaica. When we returned to Port Canaveral, we were taken to the Customs Division and had to pay an additional $42. They only accept cash, no credit cards or checks.

Customs was quite interesting as we stood there waiting our turn. They were going through EVERYTHING, including people's "dirty" clothes. Yuck! :eek:

Can you tell me where your husband bought the alexandrite ring for you? That is exactly what I am looking for. Do you recommend the store?

Just a reminder to notify ALL your CC company/ies that you'll be travelling. I called Amex but not my credit union. I wanted to buy a ring in St. Thomas and use money that I had in that account from a jewelry gift return. (In my mind it would be a wash and not cost me anything:D) The charge was declined. It made me realize that, if I had lost my Amex, I would have to use my back-up card, and I hadn't called that company either.

Amex doesn't request this anymore - in fact I don't even think they'll let you tell them where you're traveling.

Some banks let you do this online so you don't have to call.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Can you tell me where your husband bought the alexandrite ring for you? That is exactly what I am looking for. Do you recommend the store?

The jewelry store is called The Gold Mine. We did get a good deal and they sized it for me. We returned an hour later to pick up the ring. I believe The Gold Mine is the only one selling Mark Henry alexandrite collections. They are on the list recommended by RCCL. You can Google Mark Henry alexandrite and get a lot of information before you go on your cruise. RCCL even takes a photo to keep on file in case you wish to upgrade in the future. Everything is authenticated in that purchase. Hope you find what you're looking for.

If you plan to use your credit cards in the islands notify the credit card company before you leave home. DH did not notify his credit card company and we had a problem using his Visa card in St. Thomas. The merchant called the credit card company to get a verbal authorization and DH had to get on the phone and identify himself. They told him they have lots of fraud issues coming from the Caribbean and advised him to notify them in the future of any travel plans. While he was on the phone with them he gave them the rest of the itinerary and we had no issues using the card in St. Maarten, San Juan and Nassau once they were expecting charges. I warned him before we left, but he thought he knew it all. I could have pulled out my cards because I notified my credit cards, but since he was buying me a gift I kept my wallet closed.

we, dh & I take $1,000 a piece. we pay on our account so we don't have to much on our charge. This last time we cruised we had 600 obc how i don't know, but we took it. we even brought about 300 home. we like to make sure if there's a problem we have cash. sometimes it helps with the tips

If you plan to use your credit cards in the islands notify the credit card company before you leave home. DH did not notify his credit card company and we had a problem using his Visa card in St. Thomas. The merchant called the credit card company to get a verbal authorization and DH had to get on the phone and identify himself. They told him they have lots of fraud issues coming from the Caribbean and advised him to notify them in the future of any travel plans. While he was on the phone with them he gave them the rest of the itinerary and we had no issues using the card in St. Maarten, San Juan and Nassau once they were expecting charges. I warned him before we left, but he thought he knew it all. I could have pulled out my cards because I notified my credit cards, but since he was buying me a gift I kept my wallet closed.

good point. I always do this now. We had a similar problem in Mexico. I forgot to notify my AMEX and they tracked us down to make sure and then ok'd things.

$500 cash and the rest goes on the credit card.. if we have alot extra we just use it towards our sea pass card

I also call and let me credit card companys that i am traveling. i always bring a second credit card incase something happens and one gets cancelled . plus the dw has one too. have to be prepared

Edited by trev71

• 2 weeks later...

We took $500 cash last time. We were on a port intensive cruise, and used cash for all cabs, beach rentals, etc. We actually didn't use our AMEX at all, just to avoid any possible fraud. Each time we got off ship, we just estimated how much cash we'd need/want and left the rest in the safe :)

We took $500 cash last time. We were on a port intensive cruise, and used cash for all cabs, beach rentals, etc. We actually didn't use our AMEX at all, just to avoid any possible fraud. Each time we got off ship, we just estimated how much cash we'd need/want and left the rest in the safe :)

good idea.:cool:

You won't need a ton of cash. I totally recommend putting everything on a credit card! My husband and I just did a few days in Paris, 7 day Med. cruise., and an extra day in Rome and had $480.00 euros with. We spent every penny but it really wasn't until the last day of our trip. It was just the two of us, so keep that in mind.

Depending on how much you have in OBC's, you may not need much. 500 may be a good amount. As others have said, make sure you let your CC know you will be traveling.

Also, use your cards that don't have foreign transaction fees, or the good deal may not be so good after you get your statement with the fees added.