Completely forgot about insurance, suggestions for trip insurance?

I put down my initial payment in February and we are cruising to the med in August. I meant to go ahead and buy insurance right away, but it just slipped my mind.

Can I still buy insurance for my flight and cruise?

If so, do you have a suggestion for insurance company?

Edited by Scarlette

I put down my initial payment in February and we are cruising to the med in August. I meant to go ahead and buy insurance right away, but it just slipped my mind.

Can I still buy insurance for my flight and cruise?

If so, do you have a suggestion for insurance company?

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

Wow Rick, just went to that site and apparently you can't get insurance through them if you live in California, as we do. Interesting.......

They are not qualified to sell only in California. They told me that hopefully by the end of the year they would be able to sell there.

As the OP was not from California, is the only reason that I gave this out. I'm sorry Emily, I should have stated that they could not sell in California.

However, if you live in any other state, their product is excellent, and pricing as good.;)

Rick

PS. I need to correct my statement, as the OP does not show the state that they are from. Hopefully not from California, but if they are, there are some very good sites already listed.

Edited by rubrrick
Added verbage.

Thank you to everyone who helped me find trip insurance for the Indy transatlantic in may 2014. Used insure mytrip.com as recommended her and got amazing rate. got geoblue trekker for my entire family for a year very reasonable. Many options of all types.

• 5 weeks later...

Is it best to purchase insurance at booking or at final payment? I was about to add it for my November 2015 cruise but then I realized that right now I wouldn't lose anything if I canceled so maybe I should wait and just make a payment on my balance instead.

Any thoughts?

Is it best to purchase insurance at booking or at final payment? I was about to add it for my November 2015 cruise but then I realized that right now I wouldn't lose anything if I canceled so maybe I should wait and just make a payment on my balance instead.

Any thoughts?

Depends if you have made any other non-refundable purchases for the trip, such as airfare. Also, different insurance plans have different requirements with regard to covering pre-existing medical conditions.

We had friends that booked a cruise pretty far out, but didn't pay for insurance at time of booking. During the months previous to cruise, an injury occurred. They thought it would be fine by cruise time. Unfortunately there was a relapse and had to cancel cruise at last minute. Insurance was paid at time of final payment. Royal would not honor refund because of prior condition before insurance payment.

We now pay for the insurance at time of booking. I know all insurances are not alike, so just check what is and isn't covered before you buy.

Gwen :)

You might check with your car or home insurance carrier. One of our insurance carriers did not have this type of insurance, but who we have for an extra roadside service did carry it and they use one of the major companies. They got us a price break and when we compared, it was a great policy at a cheaper price.

We had friends that booked a cruise pretty far out, but didn't pay for insurance at time of booking. During the months previous to cruise, an injury occurred. They thought it would be fine by cruise time. Unfortunately there was a relapse and had to cancel cruise at last minute. Insurance was paid at time of final payment. Royal would not honor refund because of prior condition before insurance payment.

We now pay for the insurance at time of booking. I know all insurances are not alike, so just check what is and isn't covered before you buy.

Thanks for this example, it illustrates perfectly the situation with pre-existing conditions.

It's important to note that even if Royal's insurance had been added at the time of deposit, the result would have been the same (non-coverage), because Royal's insurance is typically not purchased until final payment. If one wants to be covered by Royal's insurance, one has to specifically ask to pay for it when it's added.

Thanks for this example, it illustrates perfectly the situation with pre-existing conditions.

It's important to note that even if Royal's insurance had been added at the time of deposit, the result would have been the same (non-coverage), because Royal's insurance is typically not purchased until final payment. If one wants to be covered by Royal's insurance, one has to specifically ask to pay for it when it's added.

We pay for it when we book the cruise. I learned from their mistake. So sorry it happened to them. They are or were frequent cruisers. As a matter of fact, we switched cruises to be with them on the cruise they had to cancel. And believe it or not, they also had to cancel another cruise we booked with them. Beginning to think it is us bringing them bad luck. :eek: We've cruised with them a couple times before, but was not planned.

This is the strategy I use for insurance:

For a cruise I may consider cancelling way before final payment (ie one I book, because I "might go" but am not definite) I go ahead and book it with cruise care from Royal. Even though it costs more than the above websites, if you cancel before final, you dint have to pay that premium, you get the premium back because you haven't actually paid it yet, only the deposit, which you get back. ETA - if Bobs post is correct (and they usually are) I've been misinformed for a very long time by using the above strategy! ^^^

If it's a cruise or trip I'm certain I'm taking, I use insure my trip or one of the other discount on line sites to compare and book a well priced premium for the coverages I want.

Both of these scenarios cover "preexsisting" conditions...and remember that the "preexsisting" condition that could cause you to cancel your cruise may not be your own! If you cancel because your parent dies of a heart attack and they had a "pre exsisting" condition that led to it, if you don't take out insurance within a short time window of the "initial" payment for the trip, you very likely WONT be covered by the insurance.

In some cases where I have booked a cruise that I don't know for sure I will take and I don't want to use cruise care- those websites do offer a product that will cover the "preexsisting" conditions as long as you purchase the insurance within a short time frame AFTER your FINAL payment. I've only found one company that offers it, and it is (obviously) more expensive than insuring earlier or not covering the pre exsisting condition would be. But it can cover your behind in a pinch like this! I believe it's a Travel Guard pro or gold policy, (I can't recall right now and my paper work is not with me) you have to look at them in the "compare" and it will clearly say for preexsisting conditions "covered if purchased within 24 hours of final payment" . I've bought that policy a couple of times, when a refundable cruise I've booked gets firmed up and I hadn't purchased the cruise care from Royal.

ETA: Bob, just saw your post, and I did not know that! I thought since you have "contracted" to buy the insurance with Royal, it would cover pre existing conditions! That's alarming and I will be using the Travel Guard more often now if that's true!

Edited by Familygoboston

Steve is amazing and so helpful (as is all his staff) at....

www.tripinsurancestore.com

Agree about Steve and Trip Insurance Store. Also wanted to add that their website tells you everything you need to know about travel insurance in easy to understand terms.

We've bough CSA Luxe insurance at final payment with coverage for pre-existing conditions.

http://flexibletravelinsurance.com/csa-custom-travel-insurance-plans-detailed-description-page/