Love Boat, season 3 ep1

Tweedy

A friend of mine told me that there is a two part episode of the Love Boat in season 3 where they sail out of Vancouver to Alaska then on to LA. I thought some of you who have sailed to Alaska out of Vancouver may see a little difference in the skyline between then and now.

Episode 1

Episode 2

A friend of mine told me that there is a two part episode of the Love Boat in season 3 where they sail out of Vancouver to Alaska then on to LA. I thought some of you who have sailed to Alaska out of Vancouver may see a little difference in the skyline between then and now.

Thanks for the links. The skyline has changed dramatically.

The Love Boat is shown leaving from Ballantyne Pier, which was where we recently boarded the Grand Princess.

Looking again, maybe not Ballantyne.

Edited by Mingus

I remember I had a few years absence from Vancouver from before the Olympics to after and just how the skyline changed during that time was incredible. Can't wait to watch these this weekend.

I hope to see some Alaska scenes from back then.

Edited by Coral

Thanks for the links. The skyline has changed dramatically.

The Love Boat is shown leaving from Ballantyne Pier, which was where we recently boarded the Grand Princess.

Looking again, maybe not Ballantyne.

It was next to the the Railway Station were now the Seabus and the Skytrains terminate now.

My co workers and I did a tour of Love Boat one sunny afternoon by invite in 1970's....:)

It was next to the the Railway Station were now the Seabus and the Skytrains terminate now.

My co workers and I did a tour of Love Boat one sunny afternoon by invite in 1970's....:)

Too early in morning I meant 'Canadian Pacific Railway Building':o

Edited by kruisey

The one thing that caught my attention was when they showed the ship leaving Vancouver. The ship was sailing under the bridge and was actually entering the harbour and not exiting. Having been born and raised in Vancouver, it's amazing the difference in the waterfront between '79 and now. You never really pay much attention to the change until you see if it film/photos.

Wow look at the pier in Vancouver.

Is that the same spot where Canada Place is today?

Yes it is. This was Piers B and C, which was built in 1927 to house the Canadian Pacific Steamship Terminal. It survived until the early 1980's, when it was demolished to built Canada Place which opened in 1986 and housed the Canadian Pavilion at Expo 86. Here's a photo I found of the Terminal in 1968:

3843417843_eb2689f614_z.jpgCPR Pier B-C, Vancouver, BC by R R Horne, on Flickr

Thanks for posting. I didn't realize Love Boat was available on YouTube. We spent the evening watching old shows. This is the first time I noticed the original Pacific Princess was registered in London, or was that just for the show? Also couldn't tell if the sun was in the circle at the bow. Has it been on all the Princess ships? The shots of Mendenhall were awesome and sad. The last we saw of the glacier it was back behind the bend. That's been a few years ago.

It was just on this past week and I loved it! It appeared that some of it was actually filmed on board and not in a studio. This was one of my favorite shows 35 years ago, but I did not remember these episodes!

Yes, Vancouver looked very different, as well did Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau...but so does Cabo and Long Beach!

Yes it is. This was Piers B and C, which was built in 1927 to house the Canadian Pacific Steamship Terminal. It survived until the early 1980's, when it was demolished to built Canada Place which opened in 1986 and housed the Canadian Pavilion at Expo 86. Here's a photo I found of the Terminal in 1968:

3843417843_eb2689f614_z.jpgCPR Pier B-C, Vancouver, BC by R R Horne, on Flickr

Thanks! Great photo, did you take that? :D

I really enjoyed these episodes. What struck me was the change in Vancouver's skyline since the '70’s. Someone has posted the links on the Alaska board and that is where I had watched the episodes. I was troubled about the Pacific Princess allegedly leaving Vancouver under the Lions Gate bridge and had to replay the scene several times before it dawned on me that if Stanley Park is to starboard you are entering Burrard Inlet not leaving. Yes, it's the old CP Steamship dock facility and it is where Canada Place was built...it was from this dock that the CP's Princess Patricia sailed to Alaska during the summer then was leased to Princess for the MEXRIV cruises in the winter. I used to walk down to the terminal at lunch during the summer and gaze at the ships...one time I remember seeing the Royal Yacht Britannia on the west side of the pier. The band in the scenes at the pier was the North Vancouver Schools band and the drum major was a contemporary of mine...he was probably about 27 or 28 when that was shot but he was so good at the job they let him stay on for years after he finished high school.

Edited by Putterdude