New San Francisco Cruise Terminal Photos

trbarton

I'd be happy with an occasional SF to Vancouver or Victoria RT with a day in Seattle and a port in Oregon. Make it as long as they like because I love sea days.

SF, Seattle, and Vancouver are all excellent destination/port cities loaded with culture and exciting things to do. Perhaps not so much for west coast natives where these cities are easily available but I believe plenty of east coast people would love to be able to explore each of these cities in one vacation week. Even Vancouverites(?), with a huge population, would be happy to explore the lower 49 occasionally.

BTW, cruise piers don't have to be in the business/tourist district of SF. There is plenty of space just south of the Bay bridge with huge lots perfect for long-term parking. Of course, who owns the land is anyone's guess but I would suspect the real estate would have been a lot cheaper than the existing piers.

Edited by iceleven

Even Vancouverites(?), with a huge population, would be happy to explore the lower 49 occasionally.QUOTE]

Definitely....we live in Vancouver and we'll be doing the new itinerary of a 10 night California Coastal, Vancouver round-trip, in September 2014.

Great ports of Victoria, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Catalina Island and Long Beach.

I am very familiar with this area as I used to live near S.F. Cabbies love it as their meters just click away while traffic to and from crawls on sailing days.

While I like open space as much as the next person, I suspect many will rue the day they included a 2+ acre park/plaza area there when space is at such a premium is this neighborhood.

The car/bus/taxi area appears too small; opening up the planned open space plaza to traffic could have more or less doubled it. My guess is stringent zoning laws in S.F. required it. Hopefully it has been planned well.

Just my $.02. I am prepared to be flamed by Bay Area residents...

Looking at the drawings of the current Pier 27, I don't see anywhere that there is an area to pull off the Embarcadero to drop off passengers. Even if there is, there is no way to avoid the Embarcadero.

Don't get me wrong, I am quite happy we will now have two cruise ship terminals but having two ships docking side by side would create absolute havoc to the area. One can walk out of the area faster than driving out of the area. I know, I've done it many times. I've watched our taxi meter run up to $15 before even getting two blocks away. Won't do that again. ;)

Addendum - I just found this on line -

The paved triangular area between Pier 27 and 29, referred to as the valley, is proposed as the Ground Transportation Area (“GTA”) for the cruise terminal. The GTA would be approximately 3 acres providing sufficient space to support access, drop-off and exiting by trucks, taxis, buses and passenger vehicles to meet provisioning and passenger loading needs of the cruise terminal. The GTA circulation and operation plan includes vehicle queuing space and is proposed to meet all transportation needs off-street, in an effort to remedy traffic congestion and transportation conflicts currently generated from Pier 35 cruise terminal operations impacting The Embarcadero.

In recent year, the Port has received cruise ship calls that have fluctuated between 40 and 80 calls a year, which is expected to continue for the foreseeable future. If a new cruise terminal is constructed, the relationship of the cruise facilities at Pier 27 and Pier 35 would be reversed from current conditions; Pier 27 would become the primary cruise terminal and Pier 35 would serve as a secondary facility. While the annual number of ship calls is expected to remain the same in the future, cruise ship size is growing, holding larger numbers of passengers. The level of improvements and equipment proposed in the Pier 27 cruise terminal would be designed to optimally handle vessels carrying 2,600 passengers (base design load) and would provide some additional capacity at key areas to serve vessels carrying up to 4,000 passengers (peak design load). Additionally, the facility would continue to be used for maritime events, such as Fleet Week, foreign naval diplomatic calls, Tall Ships Festivals and visits by oceanic research vessels.

If you are looking at the link in entry 22 by trbarton, it was the original design, probably been updated at least once or more. That small white building with the brown roof is not there anymore. The park (green area) is smaller too. Come down to San Francisco and take a peek this summner. If you can visualize it, the access route to the terminal will be road just below the now-gone white building while the exit road from the terminal appears to be behind the now-gone white building. I can't see the taxi's and cars backing up from Pier 35 down to Pier 27.

If you are looking at the link in entry 22 by trbarton, it was the original design, probably been updated at least once or more. That small white building with the brown roof is not there anymore. The park (green area) is smaller too. Come down to San Francisco and take a peek this summner. If you can visualize it, the access route to the terminal will be road just below the now-gone white building while the exit road from the terminal appears to be behind the now-gone white building. I can't see the taxi's and cars backing up from Pier 35 down to Pier 27.

Thanks for the update. I haven't been to S.F. since they broke ground on this, so I was commenting based on renderings I have seen online. It sounds like positive improvements have been made to the original design!

Hi Tom,

Great to have met you on the Star Princess to Alaska recently. I have written about the cruise, especially the food and meals. See my blog in link below..

continue to update us with your great photos and info...

Hi Tom,

Great to have met you on the Star Princess to Alaska recently. I have written about the cruise, especially the food and meals. See my blog in link below..

continue to update us with your great photos and info...

I enjoyed reading your review and looking at your photos. Perhaps our cruising paths will pass again.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Tom:)

Here's the Calendar for Port Events for ships visiting SF this year. I clicked to October, found the listing for the Star Princess on the 11th, clicked on it and learned that the Star is presently scheduled to use the new pier on its arrival.

So if you look for your departure date and click on your ship, you should find which pier you'll be departing from.

I am very familiar with this area as I used to live near S.F. Cabbies love it as their meters just click away while traffic to and from crawls on sailing days.

While I like open space as much as the next person, I suspect many will rue the day they included a 2+ acre park/plaza area there when space is at such a premium is this neighborhood.

The car/bus/taxi area appears too small; opening up the planned open space plaza to traffic could have more or less doubled it. My guess is stringent zoning laws in S.F. required it. Hopefully it has been planned well.

Just my $.02. I am prepared to be flamed by Bay Area residents...

No flames from me. With the horrible congestion at Pier 35 all these years, I hope they will have enough space for cars waiting for debarking passengers along with their planned park.

Just a few notes...

To Thrak...there are no 2 ship days in November, so you should be at Pier 27...even if another ship decides to change their schedule, Princess should surely have "first dibs" on the new digs.

To Treven...ditto the Princess priority comment above. If you are going to Alaska next summer, you will surely be there (although the Port of SF hasn't published the 2015 calendar yet).

To onefine 89...there are two Princess calls during fleet week. The Crown is in transit and the Star is a full turn (Mexico run). Both are scheduled for 27.

To damiross...Since Princess is currently sailing very, very full, we should see a more cruise lines testing the waters in SF (pun intended) and stealing market share. It's up to them to decide to come here and SF can now handle three-a-day...but itinerary changes and redeployments can take years. Fingers crossed.

Aside: I'm hearing rumors that 27 may not open on time (Crown Princess/Sep 18). I really hope that they are wrong

Just walked by Pier 27 a few minutes ago. That white building with the brown roof is still there. I guess my memory is not so good in my old age. However, everything still stands. Actually, if you look at the sidewalks where a car can enter, there are 4 entryway/exits. There is one entering Pier 27 (along the actual pier, i.e. if you make a right turn anytime after entering the entrance gate, you go into the water, I suspect that is only for use by the Terminal staff and ship use (like resupplying). The entryway on one side of that white building with the brown roof seems to go to the long side of the terminal. There are two pathways between Pier 29 and the white building. One closest to the white building goes to a small parking lot which I think they will be use for the buses. The pathway closest to Pier 29 will be the exit road. I wouldn't be surprise if they use a system similiar to what they use at airports. No waiting for passengers for more than 1 minute.

The tramline stops on the Embarcadero are each end of the entire complex.

As for traffic from Pier 35 disembarkation reaching Pier 27, the only time that occurred was when, if my old memory serves me right, a Princess ship had a delayed disembarkation which only started when embarkation for the next cruise should have started - an unlikely scenario unless there are alot more disembarkation/embarkation occuring in San Francisco in the future.

Here's the Calendar for Port Events for ships visiting SF this year. I clicked to October, found the listing for the Star Princess on the 11th, clicked on it and learned that the Star is presently scheduled to use the new pier on its arrival.

So if you look for your departure date and click on your ship, you should find which pier you'll be departing from.

Would someone explain to me what is happening on October 1st? There are three ships in on that day. As thus:

Pier 27

Star Princess - 7am - 4pm

NCL - Sun - 11am - 8pm

Pier 35

NCL Pearl 8am - 6pm

Would someone explain to me what is happening on October 1st? There are three ships in on that day. As thus:

Pier 27

NCL - Sun - 11am - 8pm

Pier 35

NCL Pearl 8am - 6pm

The Star appears to be departing S.F. for a 10-day Mexico RT.

The two NCL ships will be in transit from Vancouver to L.A.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Pier 27

NCL - Sun - 11am - 8pm

Pier 35

NCL Pearl 8am - 6pm

I just saw that, too. We are on the October 1 sailing and really hope we will be at Pier 27. It's a little shorter walk from BART. :D

Cheers, Denise.

I wonder where the info came from in the previous posts...Star Princess is currently scheduled for Pier 27 and NCL Pearl is at Pier 35 on October 1.

NCL Sun is at 27 the next day...there is no three ship day (yet).

According to the Port of San Francisco web site [url]www.sfport.com[/url] there are only Two (2) ships in port on the first (1st) of October 2014. The Star Princess (a full turn) and the Norwegian Pearl (day stop) The Star will be at pier 27 and the Pearl will be at pier 35 (south)

[quote name='Gr8Mariner']I wonder where the info came from in the previous posts...Star Princess is currently scheduled for Pier 27 and NCL Pearl is at Pier 35 on October 1.

NCL Sun is at 27 the next day...there is no three ship day (yet).[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. I used the NCL site to obtain my info. It is quite glitchy, at least on my computer. It intially appeared that both NCL ships were in S.F. the same day, but when I rechecked it shows as you indicated above. That makes far more sense!

[quote name='Ryndam2002']I stand corrected. I used the NCL site to obtain my info. It is quite glitchy, at least on my computer. It intially appeared that both NCL ships were in S.F. the same day, but when I rechecked it shows as you indicated above. That makes far more sense![/quote]

I'm glad they corrected it. I knew it wasn't possible to have the three ships in port the same day.

[quote name='iceleven']I'm glad they corrected it. I knew it wasn't possible to have the three ships in port the same day.[/QUOTE]

It will be technically possible to have 4 ships in port. 1 at Pier 27, 1 at Pier 35 South, 1 at Pier 35 North, and 1 at Pier 30. The latter is rarely used. This was the original site of the new cruise terminal where you would go under two bridges to access it. It would be much closer and less conjested access to the airport. It is one of the largest Piers in the city, but only thing close to it within walking distance is the AT&T park, great if the Giants were in town.:D

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Mingus'][quote name='iceleven']Even Vancouverites(?), with a huge population, would be happy to explore the lower 49 occasionally.QUOTE]

Definitely....we live in Vancouver and we'll be doing the new itinerary of a 10 night California Coastal, Vancouver round-trip, in September 2014.
Great ports of Victoria, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Catalina Island and Long Beach.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a very nice itinerary.

[quote name='deadzone1003']It will be technically possible to have 4 ships in port. 1 at Pier 27, 1 at Pier 35 South, 1 at Pier 35 North, and 1 at Pier 30. The latter is rarely used. This was the original site of the new cruise terminal where you would go under two bridges to access it. It would be much closer and less conjested access to the airport. It is one of the largest Piers in the city, but only thing close to it within walking distance is the AT&T park, great if the Giants were in town.:D[/QUOTE]

Public transportation is a possibility. Shuttle busses that go back and forth.

[quote name='deadzone1003']With the new pier, the only time there might be a problem is when 2 ships are in port, embarking/disembarking, which rarely occurs. Gone will be the huge line of taxis/cars waiting to drop off or pick up passengers along the Embarcadero. Pickup and drop-off should be next to the terminal, not along the Embarcadero. In 2009, we had used Pier 27 to catch the Star Princess. No lines, my daughter drove us into the pier area where she dropped off our luggage and us and she drove off just like at the airport. This will probably be not much different.
There are large areas for buses to be parked for excursions or transfers to airport.[/QUOTE]

This is so encouraging. I have been on several cruises out of the port of SF -- pier 35 -- and vowed to stop going because of all the issues with boarding, which oftentimes took hours. I never did stop looking for cruises out of SF, though ... the cruise lines seemed to do take care of that for me as they stopped scheduling many of those itineraries that embarked in SF. It is music to my ears that they are building a new port just off the Embarcadero ...not on it!! Hopefully this effort will bring in a wider variety in itineraries and cruise lines.