Rome for one-day after cruise -need help

Sonja W

I've been searching through these forums and can't seem to find any advice on this matter. But perhaps I've been searching on the wrong words. We are sailing on the Celebrity Equinox - Greek Odyssey on July 18th. The cruise starts in Istanbul and ends in Rome. We are spending one night in Rome post-cruise and then fly out the next day (Sunday July 27 at 10:50am).

Does anyone recommend the Celebrity tour of Rome: Vatican Museum, St. Peter's Basilica & City Center Transfer?

Does anyone recommend a hotel to stay in Rome or at least a recommendation of the general area to stay - city center or near airport?

It is me and my 2 teenage daughters so I want to do something EASY and SAFE.

Thanks!

I'd recommend looking into one of the private tour companies recommended in the Italy port of call forum here on Cruise Critic, or one you might otherwise find. Talk to them about a full day tour to pick you up at the ship, tour the city, and drop you off at your hotel at night. There are a lot of good companies that have constant recommendations here. I have no idea of the cost but it would be worth checking into and comparing to the cost of the Celebrity transportation and tour. We've used Rome Cabs for transfers and they are well recommended on these boards - I've noticed their web site indicates they do tours as well.

I don't know much about hotels aside from the fact that there is no shortage of these in Rome. We've stayed at two in the main part of the city (one near Trevi fountain and one an the square near the Pantheon) before cruises but both were off season rates before TA cruises. I do know it is a fairly long trip from Rome to the airport. If I was taking a tour that ended in the afternoon I might consider a hotel in the city just so I could have dinner in the city and walk around a little after dinner. But it would be a lot more convenient for a morning flight to be at a hotel airport. Sort of a toss up.

Edited by Lsimon

I loved the Imperiale on the Via Veneto. The triple rooms are spacious.http://www.hotelimperialeroma.it/default-en.html. If you book through the hotel, also ask about apartments. Sometimes you can get a whole apartment for the cost of one room.

If you stay in Rome overnight (which I recommend) you should leave for the airport at 7:30 for a 10:50AM flight. That will get you there by 8:00AM

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I've been searching through these forums and can't seem to find any advice on this matter. But perhaps I've been searching on the wrong words. We are sailing on the Celebrity Equinox - Greek Odyssey on July 18th. The cruise starts in Istanbul and ends in Rome. We are spending one night in Rome post-cruise and then fly out the next day (Sunday July 27 at 10:50am).

Does anyone recommend the Celebrity tour of Rome: Vatican Museum, St. Peter's Basilica & City Center Transfer?

Does anyone recommend a hotel to stay in Rome or at least a recommendation of the general area to stay - city center or near airport?

Thanks!

We lived in Rome for 3 years. If celebrity offers a bus to the Rome city center that might be worth it. If not a taxi costs about $75. Stay on via veneto, that's a clean safe area there is a Marriott, etc. or, look up Hotel Victoria Roma, great location a block or two off main strip. It's pretty, clean and has free breakfast. Ask for a family room in Rome. Once you check in, just do your own walking tour of Rome, very easy walking city. Ask hotel clerk for map and help getting started. Would go to Spanish steps, trevi fountain, piazza navona(great gialotto near here). Pantheon, forum and collesium. To tour Vatican and Sistine chapel takes a full day. Maybe you can taxi there Sunday morning just to see the Vatican and the pope usually pops out of his window Sundays and Wednesdays. Hope this helps!

There is also a good Ho/Ho bus when you are in the city. There are lots of sights to see. You may not be able to cover everything in one day especially if you want to do the Sistine Chapel. We loved the city and would like to return again one day to see the bits we missed!

Edited by Kentishgirl
write some more

I would recommend the hop on hop off bus to see the sites. You can get it outside the railway station, reasonable price and you get to see all the sites, spending as much time as you want at each one.

You can also get the train from the port to Rome, very easy and cheap.

Thanks!

Hi

We've stayed with the Empire Palace with Celebrity twice before our cruise and loved it. It is about 20 mins walk to the Coliseum , Trevi Fountain, Pantheon etc. A great hotel in a safe area of Rome.

We've also been recommended the Albergo Cesari and have booked a 4 night stay there next year. This is right in the middle or Rome near the main sites and does well on Trip Advisor. No need to have a booked excursion

There is also a good Ho/Ho bus when you are in the city. There are lots of sights to see. You may not be able to cover everything in one day especially if you want to do the Sistine Chapel. We loved the city and would like to return again one day to see the bits we missed!

My son and I did the HOHO bus in Rome. For a family of three it will be $90 and I really don't think it's worth it. I've done the HOHO buses in other cities and enjoyed it but in Rome it wasn't that great.

With luggage- it really makes sense to do a half day cruise tour. Yes you can do it more cheaply on your own but with luggage it's a drag. I think a half day tour of the Vatican would be great- since this is the one MUST SEE in Rome. I don't know where the tour terminates in Rome but probably either near the Vatican or by the main train station. You can then taxi to your hotel from there. Your room probably won't be ready until close to three anyway. If you stay in the Via Veneto- the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Villa Borghese and Borghese Park are nearby. After all the history and crowds, walking up the tree-lined Via Veneto to the Park is a great tranquil escape.

Sonja-

My recommendation is based on the time of your flight and your request for easy and safe. Book a tour/transfer with Rome Cabs. They will pick you up at Civitavecchia ay 8:00 am, provide a full day tour of all the must sees, and then drop you at your hotel.

As for the hotel, since you have a 10:50flight and should get to the airport 2 hours before, I recommend the Hilton Hotel at the airport. It's the only hotel directly connected to the airport so you don't have to rely on shuttle service. I realize if you stay there, you don't get to see Rome at night, but this option eliminates a lot of stress and rushing in the morning to get from Rome's City Center to the Airport for your morning flight.

I would recommend romeinlimo. They are great. You can check out their websight at romeinlimo dot com. I would suggest they pick you up at the port, take a tour of Rome and drop you at your hotel. They will also take you from your hotel to the airport. They are highly recommended here and Tripadvisor.

The hotel suggestions above are all good.

We have used romeinlimo several times and cannot praise them enough. They are not cheap, but they handle your luggage and are very safe.

Margee

We stayed at Albergo Cesari last month, and I highly recommend it. It's a small, very Italian hotel right in the center of Rome, just a block or so to the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain, a short walk to the Colosseum. Rooms were a little small but clean and comfortable, and I know they have some triples. It has a lovely roof deck for cocktails in the evening and breakfast in the AM. But the best part was that the staff was ready with recommendations for dinner, and steered us to 2 lovely places, only a block or two away so a very safe and easy walk, both with great food and service and a real Italian but less touristy ambiance. Our stay there got our trip off to a great start.

Sonja-

My recommendation is based on the time of your flight and your request for easy and safe. Book a tour/transfer with Rome Cabs. They will pick you up at Civitavecchia ay 8:00 am, provide a full day tour of all the must sees, and then drop you at your hotel.

As for the hotel, since you have a 10:50flight and should get to the airport 2 hours before, I recommend the Hilton Hotel at the airport. It's the only hotel directly connected to the airport so you don't have to rely on shuttle service. I realize if you stay there, you don't get to see Rome at night, but this option eliminates a lot of stress and rushing in the morning to get from Rome's City Center to the Airport for your morning flight.

I heartily second this suggestion. It is the most efficient. You really don't have much time at all. Part of your day will be taken up just getting off the ship. Maximize your time by using RomeCabs or another vendor to be picked up right at Civitavecchia and do a private day tour with your luggage in the car. I also agree with staying at an airport hotel given your early departure time. If you do decide to stay in the historical district to wander around on your only evening, then you need to plan for additional expense and time for a cab or train transportation back to the airport.

If you were staying two nights post-cruise, it would be much more relaxed.

I echo the comments about both romeinlimo and romecabs. Both do an exceptional job. If they pick you up at the ship, take you into Rome then drop you at your hotel, you will make the most of your day. Initially, there may be some sticker shock but you need to consider the value you are getting for your investment. Would you rather spend time dealing with getting luggage with you from place to place and waiting on trains or do you want a relaxed day, seeing the sights of your choice?

As someone mentioned, you might want to consider a hotel close to the airport so you don't have to worry about that in the morning. Again, it might cost more to have a driver with you for that long but you'll save the expense and bother of getting from Central Rome to the airport in the morning.

You should do some research and decide what you want to do in Rome. Either of the companies mentioned will provide you with an excellent driver for the day. However, they are not guides, they can't go into the sights with you. A good one will give you information and get you as close as possible to the location.

Thanks for all the great info! If I book with a company like romeinlimo would you recommend I get Vatican tour tickets in advance? Someone once told me there were long lines waiting to go in and that they had booked with a tour company and bypassed the lines. In addition to the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica, I would like to see the Colosseum. How quickly will we be able to get off the boat?

You guys are great! I can't believe how many responses so quickly! Thanks!!!

Sonja

If you are going to see the Sistine Chapel- you should get tickets for the Vatican Museum in advance. If a tour is offering this as part of the tour package- go with it. Once you enter the Vatican Museum, you have to walk quite a distance among mobs of people to get to the Chapel. I did it the normal way- got there at 9AM, stood in line, waded through the people and it wasn't too bad but why bother if you can skip this line? I would definitely do that. The added advantage of doing a guided tour, is that you go out the side door of the Chapel and go right into St. Peter's without having to do another long line. Read all the details of the tours you are planning to participate in. I've been to the Vatican several times. On two occasions we took the elevator up to the Dome and climbed the 320 steps up to the top of the Dome. This is one of those king of the world moments (like climbing up Pisa, the Statue of Liberty of Eiffel Tower). I think a visit to St. Peter's isn't complete without this. I was 48 the last time and it was much harder than when I was 37.http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

My favorite place in Rome though is the Borghese Park and the Via Veneto http://www.sovraintendenzaroma.it/i_luoghi/ville_e_parchi_storici/ville_dei_nobili/villa_borghese

The Colluseum I have visited twice and both times the line was about 20 minutes or less to get in. You can also buy tickets in advance and there are tours that take you down into the belly of the beast.http://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

My favorite place in Rome though is the Borghese Park and the Via Veneto http://www.sovraintendenzaroma.it/i_luoghi/ville_e_parchi_storici/ville_dei_nobili/villa_borghese

(that's why I recommend you stay in this area- once you get to your hotel, you don't need a guide in this area- totally safe, beautiful and walkable)

If you can tailor your tour to see these sites- I think you and your daughters will have experienced the best of Rome.

Thanks for all the great info! If I book with a company like romeinlimo would you recommend I get Vatican tour tickets in advance? Someone once told me there were long lines waiting to go in and that they had booked with a tour company and bypassed the lines. In addition to the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica, I would like to see the Colosseum. How quickly will we be able to get off the boat?

Sonja

If you walk off with your luggage you can get off as early as 7:30. Absolutely book Vatican tour tickets online! You can also book Colosseum tours online. Go to the Italy board and read all the tips. We've been to Rome 4 times and still haven't seen everything. It's very easy to get around via train, but be careful with you wallet. My DH lost his on our last trip. :o Since time is tight, find another group who plan to stay overnight in Rome on your roll call so you can share a van from port to Rome. Drop off luggage at hotel. If you enjoy packing in lots of sights in little time book a hotel near the Pantheon. If you let people know which day of week you'll be there and what pacing your family can handle posters will give you suggested itineraries. If you are very fast moving you can visit Vatican Museums, St. Peter's, Colosseum, Pantheon, then quick stop at Trevi Fountain before dropping at your hotel. There are companies with tour guides and transport, but if you are a planner you can book all this on your own and walk or use the train between sites.

Edited by kathynorth

If you are going to see the Sistine Chapel- you should get tickets for the Vatican Museum in advance. If a tour is offering this as part of the tour package- go with it. Once you enter the Vatican Museum, you have to walk quite a distance among mobs of people to get to the Chapel. I did it the normal way- got there at 9AM, stood in line, waded through the people and it wasn't too bad but why bother if you can skip this line? I would definitely do that. The added advantage of doing a guided tour, is that you go out the side door of the Chapel and go right into St. Peter's without having to do another long line. Read all the details of the tours you are planning to participate in. I've been to the Vatican several times. On two occasions we took the elevator up to the Dome and climbed the 320 steps up to the top of the Dome. This is one of those king of the world moments (like climbing up Pisa, the Statue of Liberty of Eiffel Tower). I think a visit to St. Peter's isn't complete without this. I was 48 the last time and it was much harder than when I was 37.http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

The Colluseum I have visited twice and both times the line was about 20 minutes or less to get in. You can also buy tickets in advance and there are tours that take you down into the belly of the beast.http://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

(that's why I recommend you stay in this area- once you get to your hotel, you don't need a guide in this area- totally safe, beautiful and walkable)

If you can tailor your tour to see these sites- I think you and your daughters will have experienced the best of Rome.

I've read that some people who walk through the Vatican museums on their own sometimes blend in with a tour as they exit through the rear right door of the Sistine Chapel. This door allows you to enter St. Peter's without having to wait on the sometimes very, very long security cue. :D If you go out through the left side door you have to walk all the way around the museum and pas through security via the main entrance. :eek:

Sonja-

Having spent a day in Rome a couple of times, I think this suggestion is the easiest. We have used Romecabs.com a couple of times and will be booking with them again this coming October. We also always stay at the Hilton at the airport which makes it easy in the morning. Security at the airport for flights to the USA is more extensive then flights to other European countries. You will need 2 hours to go through the process or maybe more if crowded. If the Romecabs prices for a city tour is too much, the Hilton has a free shuttle that runs all day long into the city of Rome. They also will provide a shuttle to the airport in the morning upon request -- even though the hotel is connected to the airport it is quite a walk, we have done it a few times. We always request a shuttle back to the airport. The rate for Romecabs from the ship to the Hilton hotel is 130 eruos for 2 people, don't know about 3. Visiting the Vatican without a tour is difficult... every time we have been there we have seen long lines. We were lucky to have visited many years ago - early in the spring when there were no lines at all before security was a big issue. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

I recommend Rome in Limo, great tour company. We had Franco as our driver and he was great. He even gave us 2 bottles of wine at the end. He will take you where you want to go. I also recommend the Albergo Cesari hotel.

It's about 2 blocks from the Pantheon.

Spend the night in Rome. Your hotel can arrange a car for very early pick up. At that time of the morning, you'll get to the airport and your terminal faster than navigating the people movers from the Hilton.

Half the time, the people movers are out of order. Personally, we think the Hilton is a rip. I'm not sure what they currently charge per night, but you now pay for breakfast. The first time we stayed there, dinner and breakfast were excellent. The second time, bleah.

We stay at Alberto del Senato, a stone's throw from the Pantheon. The colosseum, Trevi Fountain, and many other points of interest are within easy walking distance. There's a taxi stand, very convenient and the simplest way to get to Vatican City.

Sonja

Yes, the lines will be very very long and it is so nice to walk right past them :Dwith a guide.

If CELEBRITY still has this tour. Why do you not take the ST.PETERS BASILICA & THE COLOSEUM TOUR . We did that last year and although quite a few posters advised to do a D.I.Y. For us the cost was worth it to pay for going straight of the boat and were able to sightsee two of the main must sees while our luggage was looked after.

We had two groups in the one bus, ours to Termini for hotel transfers and the other group went straight to the airport.

The tour was well paced. I.e rest room stop on the way and one at the Basilica (much appreciated after breakfast;)) The guide was very professional, likeable and knowledgeable. We had audio and the group itself was not too large.

If you like this kind of option, I can surely recommend this Celebrity tour.

I can also really recommend RomeCabs. Have used them 4x now for transfers and they are just great and really geared towards cruisers. Have not used them for tours though, but I'm sure they will be very professional with that as well.

I've read that some people who walk through the Vatican museums on their own sometimes blend in with a tour as they exit through the rear right door of the Sistine Chapel. This door allows you to enter St. Peter's without having to wait on the sometimes very, very long security cue. :D If you go out through the left side door you have to walk all the way around the museum and pas through security via the main entrance. :eek:

Yes- the side door is to the right and it does take you to St. Peter's with no line. I did blend in and they assumed I was with a tour and it wasn't a problem getting into St. Peters but that doesn't help you wade through the crowd inside the museum. I would do a tour. It will save time.

Yes, the lines will be very very long and it is so nice to walk right past them :Dwith a guide.

If CELEBRITY still has this tour. Why do you not take the ST.PETERS BASILICA & THE COLOSEUM TOUR . We did that last year and although quite a few posters advised to do a D.I.Y. For us the cost was worth it to pay for going straight of the boat and were able to sightsee two of the main must sees while our luggage was looked after.

We had two groups in the one bus, ours to Termini for hotel transfers and the other group went straight to the airport.

The tour was well paced. I.e rest room stop on the way and one at the Basilica (much appreciated after breakfast;)) The guide was very professional, likeable and knowledgeable. We had audio and the group itself was not too large.

If you like this kind of option, I can surely recommend this Celebrity tour.

I can also really recommend RomeCabs. Have used them 4x now for transfers and they are just great and really geared towards cruisers. Have not used them for tours though, but I'm sure they will be very professional with that as well.

I do think with novices to a city- it makes total sense. I'm not sure that going it alone necessarily enhances your experience. For three people- a half day tour will be about $89 pp. A Romecab or RomeInLimo tour is what? $500 for the day with a driver and no guide and no entrance tickets? Not saying that is the wrong way to go but I don't think the cruise tours are that pricey considering you have transportation from the ship, a tour guide and tickets to the sites and skip the lines.