Passports

Princess1963

I am taking a cruise on July 21, 2014. I have not cruised since 2007. I had a passport at one time, but did not renew it because I was not planning on needed it. I have my birth certificate from the Department of Health that I used to get my passport. Does anyone know if I will have trouble at the port for my cruise. I would hate to have to expedite a renewed passport this late because of the cost.

Depends...............if you are a male, then a certified copy (with raised seal) of your bc and a valid state id (DL) is ok.

If you are a woman who has been married, it's a different story, since the name on the bc and the name on the DL aren't the same. You need all the "connecting documents" to show how you went from name A to name B. That may mean your bc, you first marriage license, your divorce decree, you next marriage license, etc. and your DL. This is not a joke! I personally know a woman who was not allowed to board b/c she only had her bc and DL! You have to have all the connecting documents!!!!

You should be fine with your B/C and driver's license for cruising Miami to Miami roundtrip.

You would not be able to fly internationally without a passport should you have an emergency and need to fly home.

I see that you are not sailing until December.

You have plenty of time to renew your passport -- do it.

If something were to happen on your cruise and you needed to get home -- you need a passport to fly home.

Regardless of info in their signature, OP said they are sailing July 21.

I do not know how long ago you received your state bc but make sure to check that both your parents names are on the bc. If they are not on.... you may have to get a new bc. Because to my understanding they will not let you on the ship. I am going through this now...what a headache

Edited by TxWendy

I am leaving from Miami Florida. I will be visiting Grand Turk, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay.

If you are a US citizen, then you do not need a passport. You can use the BC that you used to obtain your passport and your driver's license. You can also use your expired passport as ID, so bring that along too.

I do not know how long ago you received your state bc but make sure to check that both your parents names are on the bc. If they are not on.... you may have to get a new bc. Because to my understanding they will not let you on the ship. I am going through this now...what a headache

The DHS regulations contain no such requirement- it's the State Department that wants both parents names on the birth certificate for the issuance of a passport. Unless the cruise line itself requires it then a government issued birth certificate without parents' names should work just fine.

The DHS regulations contain no such requirement- it's the State Department that wants both parents names on the birth certificate for the issuance of a passport. Unless the cruise line itself requires it then a government issued birth certificate without parents' names should work just fine.

You made some good points, yes you do need both parents for a passport according to DOS. This is our first cruise(RCI) and we were told that in 2011 it was a requirement in order to show proof of citizenship you must have both parents names on bc. I do not know who looks at documentation when we get on the ship or off but I would be a little nervous if I could not prove my citizenship. Now like I said this is our first cruise so perhaps I am wrong. Has anyone else used a bc without parents names...please let me know. :)

You made some good points, yes you do need both parents for a passport according to DOS. This is our first cruise(RCI) and we were told that in 2011 it was a requirement in order to show proof of citizenship you must have both parents names on bc. I do not know who looks at documentation when we get on the ship or off but I would be a little nervous if I could not prove my citizenship. Now like I said this is our first cruise so perhaps I am wrong. Has anyone else used a bc without parents names...please let me know. :)

Your documents will be examined by a security officer prior to entering the terminal, by the check-in person and by a CBP officer when you disembark. The CBP officer is an employee of DHS. It was in 2011 (I believe) that State changed their requirements and started requiring parents' names. It certainly can't hurt to obtain a birth certificate with parents' names but it is not required (I haven't read of anyone being denied boarding for that, which of course is not the same as it never happening). FWIW I had a cruise line rep tell me that even though I had an Enhanced Drivers License I would still need to bring a copy of my birth certificate with me. She was wrong;).

Your documents will be examined by a security officer prior to entering the terminal, by the check-in person and by a CBP officer when you disembark. The CBP officer is an employee of DHS. It was in 2011 (I believe) that State changed their requirements and started requiring parents' names. It certainly can't hurt to obtain a birth certificate with parents' names but it is not required (I haven't read of anyone being denied boarding for that, which of course is not the same as it never happening). FWIW I had a cruise line rep tell me that even though I had an Enhanced Drivers License I would still need to bring a copy of my birth certificate with me. She was wrong;).

That is good information to know....thank you. I have learned so much from these boards. :)

Department of Homeland Security does not determine whether you will be permitted to board with the travel documents you present. The cruise line's check in/shore operations individuals make that determination.

It is CBP that permits us re-entry to U.S.

Cruise line representatives adhere totally to what they know CBP will require for guests entry back to U.S. as there are still fines for permitting someone on an airplane/cruise ship who did not have the proper documents and what is the airline/cruise ship to do with you if you arrive back in U.S. port and cannot enter the country? Sail with you aboard forever? :D

/B]

If you are a woman who has been married, it's a different story, since the name on the bc and the name on the DL aren't the same.

Well you're making the assumption that all women change their name when they get married. These days, many women keep their name. My wife, for example, didn't take my name.

Cruise line representatives adhere totally to what they know CBP will require for guests entry back to U.S. as there are still fines for permitting someone on an airplane/cruise ship who did not have the proper documents and what is the airline/cruise ship to do with you if you arrive back in U.S. port and cannot enter the country? Sail with you aboard forever? :D

It is safe to assume that port embarkation personnel will not require less than what CBP requires, however they could require more, either due to stricter cruise line policies or even out of ignorance. Appeal is to a supervisor and the final appeal is to the ship's captain or officers.

Once you get on board, you have less to worry about upon reentry to the US. Once a US citizen lands on US soil, you cannot be denied entry by CBP. Even if you have less identification or even no identification, you will get into the country, but they may hold you a while until they can verify your identity.

Edited by dwjoe

Depends...............if you are a male, then a certified copy (with raised seal) of your bc and a valid state id (DL) is ok.

Where does this misinformation about a raised seal come from? A raised seal is not a requirement.....

Many states issue a BC with only an official stamp or even a watermark type seal. Mine never had a raised seal from Ohio.

With all due respect to the folks who have contributed to this thread, and while all is pretty good advice, do you want to trust your vacation to conflicting opinions?

I for one, would hate to see anyone denied boarding because of inadequate documentation, plus, it was a good point made earlier, that if you need to fly home, you would need a passport

If you ever get a chance to watch the Discover America program about turnaround day for the Oasis, where they had to deny boarding to 2 families, and almost to a Honeymoon couple, that would reinforce the point of being very sure about the documentation (it is about this point where my wife rolls here eyes, and talks about my Obsessive behavior, which I fully acknowledge)

Maybe it is just my natural paranoia, but, I wouldn't be taking a chance. I would be over at Walgreens today, getting my picture taken, and have the passport application in the mail tonight

And hope that you are not too late

I have cruised both times as a family WITH a minor using DL and Birth Certificate. Not one single problem. We are American citizens from Wisconsin. We are in our 50's. Our birth certificates have raised seals although some other states don't. Just make sure it has the water seal/mark. Here are the documents that were required and CHECKED for both our cruises. Go to your local courthouse and get the copies of new Birth Certificate forms.They must include the names of both parents. This IS the correct information!

Driver's Licenses

Certified Birth Certificate - water mark er flat seal or raised seal

Copy of Marriage License - must have to show name change!!!!!

If over 16 you must carry a state ID and Birth Certificate - Yes, it was checked!

A friend who works shore operations in a major U.S. port has told me that almost every cruise goes out with someone being denied boarding because of inadequate travel documents. They try their very hardest to help the guests have documents retrieved by someone at home but nevertheless it is an everyday thing for someone to have the sail without them aboard.

I am taking a cruise on July 21, 2014. I have not cruised since 2007. I had a passport at one time, but did not renew it because I was not planning on needed it. I have my birth certificate from the Department of Health that I used to get my passport. Does anyone know if I will have trouble at the port for my cruise. I would hate to have to expedite a renewed passport this late because of the cost.

When did you BOOK this cruise? That's when you should have ordered your passport. LOPINME...now you should expedite that passport.