Slamming Balcony doors!

LTS1960

I feel your pain..I was between door slammers for 28 days. I am very sensitive to loud banging sounds, and to my ears, it sounds like M80's. The smoking never bothered me.

I truly believe that most cruisers just aren't aware of how it sounds to some people. And I also realize that for those that try not to let it slam, sometimes it's an accident.

I travel solo, and there have been a few times, if I have a tray of food in my hand, the cabin door has slipped out of my grasp.

Since I know my sensitivities, I won't get a balcony on Carnival again, especially since I usually cruise 10+ days now.

• Like 1

We're sailing on our first balcony in October. Should we find ourselves in a situation where our neighbors are door slammers, is it not an option to go to guest services and have them mediate? Could guest services not ask the people in that cabin to try to be more aware of the people around them and try to not let the balcony door slam?

Has anyone ever taken this issue to guest services and had good results?

Also, we've only been on the Elation, so have never seen the mailboxes before. I can see that putting a note in a mailbox could be a good option as well.

Leave a note in their mailbox asking them not to slam the door. Usually works.

One would think that would be a good way to handle the situation. But I can tell you from experience even that doesn't always work.

I was on a cruise a few years ago when the family on the balcony to the right of ours consisted of a couple and their ( I would estimate) 5 year old son. Every morning at around 6 AM the kid was out on the balcony screaming. Nothing in particular, just yelling loudly as kids that age tend to do. This woke me up every morning. We preferred to be on a late schedule, going to sleep late and waking up around 8 or 9 AM if possible. After the third straight day of this happening, we knew we had a problem because this was obviously going to be a daily occurrence. My wife and I tried to figure out what to do. We were sure the parents had no idea that their son was waking us up every morning (and most likely others as well). We figured the parents would feel badly if they knew. We knew we had to tell them but wanted to figure out a nice way to do so.

So we decided to leave a very nicely worded note. We mentioned how nice it was to be on a cruise and hoped they were enjoying their cruise as much as were enjoying ours. We mentioned how the sound can tend to carry on the balconies and it's the type of thing must of us wouldn't even notice or think about. We told them that we were sure they didn't realize that their son was waking us up every morning at 6 AM and told them that we would very much appreciate it if perhaps they would wait until a later hour before they let their son on the balcony since our schedules were obviously very different and we preferred to sleep after 6 AM. We wished them a great cruise and thanked them for their consideration. We also asked them to let us know if there was anything we could do or stop doing to make their cruise experience the best it could be. We really went out of our way to word the note as nicely as possible so they wouldn't take it as an attack but as a reasonable request. We slipped the note under their door. We figured that would be the end of the issue.

The next morning at 6 AM the kid was out on the balcony louder than ever. Of course this meant we were up at that time as well. So we spent the entire cruise getting only a few hours sleep each night. It was either that or go to sleep early and be on the other family's schedule, but we didn't want to do that since we didn't have any kids on that cruise and it was our opportunity to stay up late and enjoy it. We were rather surprised that the note did absolutely nothing. Obviously these people didn't care about being considerate to others. It showed us that even if you do deal with a problem in as nice a way as you can, it doesn't mean the other party will cooperate.

I still believe in these situations it's best to handle them in as nice a manner as possible. But I also realize that being nice sometimes doesn't work either.

Unfortunately, some people are just inconsiderate and don't care.

• Like 1

Sometimes, those balcony doors on Carnival ships can be very hard to close.

LuLu

I'm thinking this too. We were on the Glory a few years ago with our first, and until now only, balcony. We tried valiantly to quietly close the door and could not get it to latch for anything and actually ended up sleeping with the door slightly ajar. The next day we asked how cabin steward how to get it closed properly and he calmly walked over, opened the door a few inches and then slammed it shut. We cringed, but nothing else worked, at least on that particular door. It was either slam it to close it or not use the balcony and we paid to use the balcony. We avoided continually slamming it as much as possible, but it happened.

Hopefully the doors work better on the Breeze in a couple of weeks :-)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Teaching your daughter about being considerate is one thing. But with all due respect, trying to curve someone else's behavior by using a tone of voice loud enough for them to hear disguised as a lesson to your daughter is not the most mature or effective approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed!

Oh man, if I heard this snarky kind of remark I'd start intentionally making sure my door slams even more frequently. Yeah, that probably makes me a jerk, but talking to your child like that in order to get a message across to me... that's just as bad. I'd respond faaaaaaar more positively if you just asked politely that I keep the door slamming in mind... you know... like a decent human being with basic communication skills. Odds are the person you're talking about wasn't even aware of their door slamming actions and all you had to do was mention it to them and both parties would be happy.

Kinda of agree :D

I have never had the "pleasure" of a balcony room, but between the door slamming, smoke and other shenanigans associated with them, I guess I am better to stick with my interior, porthole, and 4j rooms.

Your same thoughts crossed my mind. I'd think that asking someone politely will yield better results than the "snarky comment loud enough for others to hear" approach or the "standing on the balcony and yelling at the top of your lungs that you're sick of slamming doors" approach.

IMHO, the way that some people handle rude and obnoxious behavior is just as rude and obnoxious as the behavior that they are trying to curve. Somewhat ironic. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yup I agree. Grow up. If it bothers you that much, don't throw hints. Ask politely first. Chances r good that the door slamming is not intentional, but the loud hinting is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

And really the doors don't need to "slam" in the first place. Our last cruise on the Freedom, I would not have been able to slam the balcony door had I tried. You see the hydraulic arm actually worked. I did guide the door to make sure the wind did not get a hold of it when I used it while at sea. But if Carnival would just keep up the maintenance on the doors AND put a big sign up to indicate you really oughta shoulda hold the door until it closes, life in balcony cabins might just improve.

I have never had the "pleasure" of a balcony room, but between the door slamming, smoke and other shenanigans associated with them, I guess I am better to stick with my interior, porthole, and 4j rooms.

It's not nearly as problematic as people make it seem. Balconies are very enjoyable 98% of the time.

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking this too. We were on the Glory a few years ago with our first, and until now only, balcony. We tried valiantly to quietly close the door and could not get it to latch for anything and actually ended up sleeping with the door slightly ajar. The next day we asked how cabin steward how to get it closed properly and he calmly walked over, opened the door a few inches and then slammed it shut. We cringed, but nothing else worked, at least on that particular door. It was either slam it to close it or not use the balcony and we paid to use the balcony. We avoided continually slamming it as much as possible, but it happened.

Understand where you're coming from. On Glory ours was impossible to close completely without SLAMMING it. :rolleyes:

LuLu

And really the doors don't need to "slam" in the first place. Our last cruise on the Freedom, I would not have been able to slam the balcony door had I tried. You see the hydraulic arm actually worked. I did guide the door to make sure the wind did not get a hold of it when I used it while at sea. But if Carnival would just keep up the maintenance on the doors AND put a big sign up to indicate you really oughta shoulda hold the door until it closes, life in balcony cabins might just improve.

So funny you mention this! I has one of the bowling alley balconies on Legend in April and never once did the door slam! The hydralic arm worked very well and I first thought it was broken since it didn't slam!!!:eek:

• Like 1

Wow, communication skills? It was not a snarky remark. A reminder to my teenage daughter not to let the door slam because it bothers others was in no way snarky and it actually is prob better than leaning around the balcony asking the person not to let the door slam. You're pretty rude if you would slam doors after hearing a statement like that! A decent human being does not do something like that intentionally after overhearing a remark!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are quite right, that WAS NOT a snarky remark. I totally agree with you and was about to respond if you hadn't.

I agree with you on the slamming balcony (and stateroom) doors. It also disturbs me when people leave their balcony light on all night long, like we are in some redneck floating trailer park.

Hold on here, I live in a redneck trailer park:eek: Yes, it's in a redneck town here in Florida. Leaving lights on at night is protocol;)

• Thanks 1

You are quite right, that WAS NOT a snarky remark. I totally agree with you and was about to respond if you hadn't.

I think it is rude to slam doors if you know the it is bothering another person. However the reason the daughter was told to not slam the doors was really to tell the other people in the cabin doing the slamming. (It was stated that the comment was said very loudly so the others could "overhear".)

I actually would be much less offended if someone leaned over the balcony and asked me to stop some behavior than if a comment was made really for me but in an indirect way.

Polite and direct .....Rule #1 in communication courses...and the most effective way to get what you need.

Edited by momof4boys
  • Like 1

Isn't part of the door slamming due to the air flow or resistance in the door closing gadget? I know my door closer at home is adjustable. Maybe maintenance should adjust some of them?

We had door "slammers" on one cruise, so I now wonder if rate of the closings may not have been intentional, and also if the sound was less on the offender's balcony, but sound carries over to the next one? Just thinking.

• Like 1

Notes in the mailbox and politely telling the offender only works sometimes. I like the calls in the middle of the night to cure them. It happened on a 15 day Celebrity cruise for me. The neighbors were loud, came home drunk at 2 AM the first 3 nights and continued with loud talking and door slamming on the balcony. The final straw was when they had a fight and after pounding on the wall a couple of times they just pounded back. So, I know they slept late since they always put the do not disturb sign out. I started to switch that to Make up the room and for two days called their room every time I thought about it. (from a public phone) they got the message and the next 10 days were very peaceful.

• Haha 1

We are going on the Glory in 5 weeks and the one of the things that drives me nuts are the people in the cabins around us that constantly slam the balcony doors. Why is is so hard to hold the door and close it? I'm the type of person who is always aware of how my actions can annoy people so I train my kids to be quiet and not slam doors. Two cruises ago we had a couple in the cabin next to us that smoked constantly, had that smokers hack and they slammed the door repeatedly. I tried giving them subtle hints like when I was on the balcony I said to my daughter in a louder than normal voice " don't let the door slam because it will bother other people" they didn't get the hint! I finally had enough and while out on the balcony again I yelled" I am tired of all the door slamming going on around me" hmm that didn't work either so I gave up. I'm hoping that this time we have courteous neighbors. We are in a suite so maybe the extra width of the cabin will make the door slamming less jarring. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The smoking bothers me more than the door slamming. You can get even with those slamming doors by getting up at 3:00 am and slam the door a few times waking up the snoozer losers. Carnival allows smoking on balconies and until they change their smoking policy, I won't be cruising with them. Princess doesn't allow it on their cruise ships and the last 2 cruises we've been on on Princess, we haven't heard any doors slam.

• Haha 1

The smoking bothers me more than the door slamming. You can get even with those slamming doors by getting up at 3:00 am and slam the door a few times waking up the snoozer losers. Carnival allows smoking on balconies and until they change their smoking policy, I won't be cruising with them. Princess doesn't allow it on their cruise ships and the last 2 cruises we've been on on Princess, we haven't heard any doors slam.

Now that's a new spin on door slamming stopping:eek:

SO are you saying that only smokers slam doors? :p Or is it that irresistable need to inform the board once again that you don't like smoking on balconies and won't be cruising with Carnival again until they stop it?:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Must be something about the Glory. Our worst cruz as far as noise from neighbors. They would come in late all liquored up, talk loud on the balcony, slam doors etc.

I approached them and asked courteously if they wouldn`t mind toning it down or partying on deck. NO RESULTS. I called security...no help.

Well they started getting 6AM 6:15AM 6:30AM wake up calls from uh... somebody in in the dining room daily. The last two days at sea were quiet...Maybe they were sleepysmiley_to_sleep020.gif

• Haha 1