Washy, Washy, happy, happy, smiley, smiley

OurDogCisco

Can't stress how important this is. We had 36 passengers on our ship with Norwalk. It is a pain for everyone involved. Not being able to self serve yourself at the garden cafe was horrible. It made the whole dining experience unpleasant. I also feel bad for those that got Norwalk as I'm sure it ruined their trip. We were on the Pearl from 6/8 to 6/15.

Can't stress how important this is. We had 36 passengers on our ship with Norwalk. It is a pain for everyone involved. Not being able to self serve yourself at the garden cafe was horrible. It made the whole dining experience unpleasant. I also feel bad for those that got Norwalk as I'm sure it ruined their trip. We were on the Pearl from 6/8 to 6/15.

Do you mean Norovirus?? :confused:

Here is a link to the CDC website that tracks outbreaks. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2014

Noro is truly everywhere. 36 passengers out of all on board is not a large percentage of passengers/crew. Miserable for those effected - no doubt but certainly not alarming, IMHO. NCL rarely makes the list - probably in part to the "washy, washy" procedures.

Edited by happy cruzin

We were on the Explorer of the Seas last March, not long after the 600 passenger outbreak of Noro.

That ship was scrubbed over every inch of her, so that no one was ill on our cruise. The crew was diligent about cleaning and washy washy. Perhaps they learned something from NCL.

Noro is not only prevalent on cruise ships, but schools, the work place, and anywhere where people gather in large numbers. One of the answers to staying healthy is frequent hand washing, especially after using the bathroom.

Here is a link to the CDC website that tracks outbreaks. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2014

Noro is truly everywhere. 36 passengers out of all on board is not a large percentage of passengers/crew. Miserable for those effected - no doubt but certainly not alarming, IMHO. NCL rarely makes the list - probably in part to the "washy, washy" procedures.

my thoughts and yes, NCL has a very good record: thank goodness.

to the OP: I really don't think having the crew dishing up your food in the buffet is the end of the world or even a particular pain. No, not the best, but certainly wouldn't bother me all that much.

We should all be happy it was only 36 affected and lets hope it didn't ruin their vacation. Luckily it usually only lasts a day or two.

This does stress the reason for washy washy though; sometimes it can be annoying, but the alternative is much worse.

The crew doesn't consider it a fun time either.

Sorry for the typo, I'm typing on my cell phone. The illness started on day 2 evening time. So for the entire week we were not allow to self serve ourselves. Please don't take my post as whining but the first day I witness many passengers refusing to wash their hands. It was a pain to wait up to 5 minutes for a cup of tea. There is no silverware or salt and pepper on the tables. Nothing is on the table. The servers are overworked trying keep up with the demand. My post is meant to inform people what happens when you don't wash your hands.

Please excuse typos as I'm typing on my cell phone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Noro / Norwalk - basically the same thing.

Norwalk and Noroviruses are transmitted primarily by the fecal-oral route. Having direct contact with vomit or feces from an infected person and then transferring the virus to the mouth from the hands primarily spreads the viruses. Secondary person-to-person transmission through sharing food, water, and/or utensils, or contact with the contaminated environment is also possible. Touching a contaminated door knob and/or stair railing and then touching your mouth is a possible method of transmission. In some outbreaks, there is evidence that the virus may be spread by the airborne route. These viruses are very contagious and only a few are needed to cause an illness.

The disease is transmitted through ingestion of contaminated foods and drinks, or by contact with an infected individual. Shellfish from waters exposed to raw sewage will concentrate virus particles from the water since they are filter feeders. Contaminated water can also introduce the virus to beverages, ice, eggs, fruits, and salad ingredients. Cooked foods may also be contaminated though handling by an infected individual. The virus can also be transmitted through close contact with an infected individual and/or touching contaminated surfaces.

http://microbiology.mtsinai.on.ca/faq/norwalkfaq.shtml

Edited by SissasMomE

Can't believe how many people walk into a grocery store right past the handwipes, grab a cart and head on in! People put babies in diapers in the seat of those carts!!! :eek:

Have seen cruise ship passengers do the same thing. Wish they still had a crew member standing at the entrance to the buffet and restaurants to make sure people use the hand cleaner.

our grandson was ill (the may 25th sailing) and was quarantined to the room for 24 hours. He got over it pretty fast.

I have heard that even bleach has a difficult time killing the norovirus. I wonder what is in the Happy Happy spray. If it's just hand sanitizer, I don't see how that does anything *shrug* I've been wondering that for a long time, I should have asked at the Q&A session we attended. I don't think ANYTHING substitutes for a good hand washing. I can't imagine how many times, someone would come out of the stall as I was scrubbing my hands (I don't want to get sick!!) and they would just run their hands with water a bit and then leave. ugh. There's a sign at my doctors office. "This is a facility where SICK people come. Please wash your hands, you don't want to take the germs home to your family, do you?"

Edited by Traveller20074

Can't believe how many people walk into a grocery store right past the handwipes, grab a cart and head on in! People put babies in diapers in the seat of those carts!!! :eek:

Have seen cruise ship passengers do the same thing. Wish they still had a crew member standing at the entrance to the buffet and restaurants to make sure people use the hand cleaner.

they do at the entrance to the buffet on the Pearl *shrug*

We always wash our hands with soap and hot water, on and off the ship. Never had an issue. We also rarely use the buffet where I suspect most carriers are spreading their contagions.

The washy washy people are a poor substitute for actually washing your hands with soap and water.

Edited by Love my butler

I agree. Some ships still do this.

our grandson was ill (the may 25th sailing) and was quarantined to the room for 24 hours. He got over it pretty fast.

I have heard that even bleach has a difficult time killing the norovirus. I wonder what is in the Happy Happy spray. If it's just hand sanitizer, I don't see how that does anything *shrug* I've been wondering that for a long time, I should have asked at the Q&A session we attended. I don't think ANYTHING substitutes for a good hand washing. I can't imagine how many times, someone would come out of the stall as I was scrubbing my hands (I don't want to get sick!!) and they would just run their hands with water a bit and then leave. ugh. There's a sign at my doctors office. "This is a facility where SICK people come. Please wash your hands, you don't want to take the germs home to your family, do you?"

That is GREAT....I love it!! ;)

We always wash our hands with soap and hot water, on and off the ship. Never had an issue. We also rarely use the buffet where I suspect most carriers are spreading their contagions.

The washy washy people are a poor substitute for actually washing your hands with soap and water.

NO argument there! But....I suppose it's better than nothing for those who don't take the time for a good hand washing. :rolleyes: :cool:

I can't imagine how many times, someone would come out of the stall as I was scrubbing my hands (I don't want to get sick!!) and they would just run their hands with water a bit and then leave. ugh.

That's exactly why I was so happy on the Dawn last summer when I saw that the paper towels and garbage receptacles are positioned right next to the bathroom door so that you can open the door with a towel! I do that in all public bathrooms...you should see me sticking my hand inside whatever article of clothing I can when a bathroom does not have paper towels. I would rather lift up my shirt or skirt than touch the handle of a bathroom door :p.

The washy washy solution may be a poor substitute for a good hand washing with soap and hot water, however it is far better than nothing.

It is truly disgusting to see people use the toilet and then walk right out without washing. Next thing you know they are grabbing a hand railing, a doorknob, a serving utensil, or any number of things. The next poor, unsuspecting person comes alone and in spite of the fact that they probably washed after using the toilet, they are now grabbing hold of the same item that the dirty, unthoughtful non-washer just touched.

This is the reason I carry my own anti-bacterial gel in a tiny bottle, and I carry it everywhere. Some people make fun of me and call me OCD. I don't care - at least I don't get sick - almost ever. I've had the flu once in the last 36 years.

Climbing down from soap box now (pun intended!) :D

The washy washy solution may be a poor substitute for a good hand washing with soap and hot water, however it is far better than nothing.

It is truly disgusting to see people use the toilet and then walk right out without washing. Next thing you know they are grabbing a hand railing, a doorknob, a serving utensil, or any number of things. The next poor, unsuspecting person comes alone and in spite of the fact that they probably washed after using the toilet, they are now grabbing hold of the same item that the dirty, unthoughtful non-washer just touched.

This is the reason I carry my own anti-bacterial gel in a tiny bottle, and I carry it everywhere. Some people make fun of me and call me OCD. I don't care - at least I don't get sick - almost ever. I've had the flu once in the last 36 years.

Well said Hikini! I'll climb up on that soap box with you! :)

My son when he was 19 months old got rotovirus from a Walmart shopping cart. He was in the hospital for almost 4 days, not including the time at home that he was very sick, and they were scared he was going into renal failure. I can't stress enough how important it is to wash your hands every chance you get. Yeah, it's a pain, but it's a bigger pain to have to miss out on all the fun of a cruise because you're stuck in your cabin sick. Just my two cents.

Hey I use the soap and water on the ship but I do not use the sanitizer or the washy washy people. I have a skin condition on my hands that normally is inflamed from the soap on the ship. Nothing like a little sanitizer squirted directly into open, cracked skin. So while you may see me refusing the spray, please don't talk about me. You have no idea what I am not partaking. So if you must flame me for making you sick, I'll take it, but as of now i haven't managed to catch it yet. I do try to avoid the buffet and use straws.

Sorry for the typo, I'm typing on my cell phone. The illness started on day 2 evening time. So for the entire week we were not allow to self serve ourselves. Please don't take my post as whining but the first day I witness many passengers refusing to wash their hands. It was a pain to wait up to 5 minutes for a cup of tea. There is no silverware or salt and pepper on the tables. Nothing is on the table. The servers are overworked trying keep up with the demand. My post is meant to inform people what happens when you don't wash your hands.

Please excuse typos as I'm typing on my cell phone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

and by inconveniencing you a little, you and many others were protected from joining the list of sick passengers. This happened to our daughter when she was on a RCI transatlantic crossing, I don't remember it bothering her too much. I guess we all react a little differently. Yes, a few minutes wait just to get a cup of tea or coffee would be a slight pain, but worth it. And btw, hand washing is very important, when I go to a public restroom and see people not washing their hands or just sticking them under the cold water for a second I shutter, but all the washing in the world will not totally prevent Noro or any similar illness.

Edited by newmexicoNita

You do realize that washy washy does NOTHING to kill noro, right? There is no substitute for washing your hands with soap and hot water often.

Its called antibacterial because it kills bacteria, NOT viruses. Just making a point.