Washy, Washy, happy, happy, smiley, smiley

OurDogCisco

Hey I use the soap and water on the ship but I do not use the sanitizer or the washy washy people. I have a skin condition on my hands that normally is inflamed from the soap on the ship. Nothing like a little sanitizer squirted directly into open, cracked skin. So while you may see me refusing the spray, please don't talk about me. You have no idea what I am not partaking. So if you must flame me for making you sick, I'll take it, but as of now i haven't managed to catch it yet. I do try to avoid the buffet and use straws.

Similar reason to why I don't use the soap dispenser in public restrooms. 'Scrub' my hands with water, the soap can be an irritant.

Edited by mdvlprof

You do realize that washy washy does NOTHING to kill noro, right? There is no substitute for washing your hands with soap and hot water often.

My thoughts while reading this entire thread. Noro is a ViRUS and antibacterial sprays do nothing. When I'm on a ship I try not to use any handrails, and open doors with elbows etc. I love when people blame specific places for where they got their virus. Really? Because it's practically impossible to know you got that virus at that restaurant or that store. Those germs could have been lurking anywhere! (Airplanes really gross me out).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Washing your hands on the way into the buffet is a great way to prevent others from getting sick from you. If you want to prevent yourself from getting sick, it makes more sense to serve yourself your food, set it down, and then go wash your hands before you eat it. Any amount of handwashing that I do doesn't do me a bit of good if I then grab a serving spoon that someone who hasn't washed just touched, and turn around and feed myself with those hands.

Edited by LrgPizza

You do realize that washy washy does NOTHING to kill noro, right? There is no substitute for washing your hands with soap and hot water often.

Yes - but I will still say that the "washy washy" stations are better than nothing than nothing at all. Especially when it comes to those who do not choose hand washing. :rolleyes:

My thoughts while reading this entire thread. Noro is a ViRUS and antibacterial sprays do nothing. When I'm on a ship I try not to use any handrails, and open doors with elbows etc. I love when people blame specific places for where they got their virus. Really? Because it's practically impossible to know you got that virus at that restaurant or that store. Those germs could have been lurking anywhere! (Airplanes really gross me out).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EXACTLY!

I also really irritates me that cruise ships have been so associated with Noro. It is EVERYWHERE....not really fair to single out the cruise ships. But it is 'big news" everytime....I just don't get it! :mad:

The buffet area was very crowded on the Pearl. It was always a big mess trying to walk through the area. It was wall to wall people every day. So, when you waited 5 minutes for that tea or coffee your food got cold. The table area was packed. I understand the precautions are put in place to protect the passengers. My point is why aren't people washing their hands. This means they are not washing their hands after going to the bathroom. I understand people have an irritant to the antibacterial spray. I did too and my hands are all cracked now from the harsh soap, etc... But I did not want to get sick so I washed my hands more than I do at home. I was washing my hands after I ate which isn't something I normally do at home. But when you see tons of people not using any precaution it makes you wonder. This is after you followed them up the stairs while they held the handrail. I didn't see them go to the restroom to wash their hands before refusing the spray. Anyways, I guess, the setup area of the Garden Cafe isn't helpful when something like this happens. Don't worry I had a great trip seeing Alaska. It did make me realize I want to see Alaska again but via a land vacation so I can enjoy the ports longer...

Can't stress how important this is. We had 36 passengers on our ship with Norwalk. It is a pain for everyone involved. Not being able to self serve yourself at the garden cafe was horrible. It made the whole dining experience unpleasant. I also feel bad for those that got Norwalk as I'm sure it ruined their trip. We were on the Pearl from 6/8 to 6/15.

This is the biggest misconception going. This directly from the cdc site "Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water. See “Handwashing: Clean Hands Save Lives.”

All this does is create a false sense of security, frequent and vigorous hand washing with warm water is the only way to prevent transmission.

The basic scenario is they squirt your hands, you then scratch your nose, itch your face, touch your hair, sneeze, cough, touch a pair of tongs that has been in contact with someone who has Noro, etc etc etc. and all is for naught.

Most people don't realize how many times the touch themselves in a day. Take 5 minutes in the mall or restaurant and just watch someone and you will see, you probably do the same thing to yourself but don't realize it.

The sanitizer kills good and bad germs, good germs are necessary to build up immunity. Over sanitizing is not good. If you are vigilant and wash frequently and be careful what you touch you will be fine.

I did read the something about the CDC or local health departments scraping customer reviews from Yelp and restaurant review sites to help find identify restaurants that may be a cause of illness. (Edit found the article... New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/23/dining/reviews-on-yelp-help-track-illness.html?_r=0 ) Doubt the media will give up the cruise illness stories though. They thrive on sensationalism.

And yup, washing hands well with soap and water for 30 seconds is superior to using hand sanitizer.

I believe there is hand sanitizer that kills Noro but don't know if NCL uses it and besides, you'd have to use it in sufficient quantity and time and rub your hands just as thoroughly for it to be effective. And how many passengers will do that. :rolleyes:

Edited by kylenyc

Yes - but I will still say that the "washy washy" stations are better than nothing than nothing at all. Especially when it comes to those who do not choose hand washing. :rolleyes:

Not really. You are giving yourself a false sense of security. By your logic, spitting on your hands and rubbing them on your jeans would be better than nothing.

Not really. You are giving yourself a false sense of security. By your logic, spitting on your hands and rubbing them on your jeans would be better than nothing.

Really??!?!?

Not sure how - or why - you would equate the "washy washy" solution with spitting on your hands. :eek: But whatever.....I'm done! :cool:

Edited by happy cruzin

One thing I really liked about Breakaway was that there were sinks at the entrance to the buffet (near the aft elevator bank). I could wash my hands with soap and water right there, and then skip the washy-washy, which I don't like the feel of. And everyone could observe that my hands were freshly washed before I touched anything.

I bypass them every time. They are a false sense of security. After I thoroughly wash my hands i do not want to touch anything. I don't need to use the sanitizer that everyone else touched.

Just as an FYI if someone doesn't wash after the bathroom and it's urine you won't get sick. Urine is sterile although the yuk factor applies. People need to be educated about what's effective and what's not. If someone has Noro on their hands and use the hand sanitizer on the way in to the buffet it didn't do a thing, NOTHING! Soap and water is the only way to go and often.

I bypass them every time. They are a false sense of security. After I thoroughly wash my hands i do not want to touch anything. I don't need to use the sanitizer that everyone else touched.

Just as an FYI if someone doesn't wash after the bathroom and it's urine you won't get sick. Urine is sterile although the yuk factor applies. People need to be educated about what's effective and what's not. If someone has Noro on their hands and use the hand sanitizer on the way in to the buffet it didn't do a thing, NOTHING! Soap and water is the only way to go and often.

I think you've totally missed my point! But it doesn't matter.....

Washing your hands on the way into the buffet is a great way to prevent others from getting sick from you. If you want to prevent yourself from getting sick, it makes more sense to serve yourself your food, set it down, and then go wash your hands before you eat it. Any amount of handwashing that I do doesn't do me a bit of good if I then grab a serving spoon that someone who hasn't washed just touched, and turn around and feed myself with those hands.

Totally agree. I always felt they should "washy washy" after I got my food.

In the bathroom you should always use paper towel to open the door, and turn the water faucet off. Two of the most gem ridden places. also the lock on the door as well as the flush handle. Try to use t-paper when touching. And hands off your face---if only I could follow my own advice. Lol

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You are correct. The washy washy actually gives people more of a reason NOT to wash their hands with soap and water. The ignorant masses think washy washy is just as good so they don't even bother washing with soap and water. The washy washy crap actually hurts sanitation rather than help it.

Really??!?!?

Not sure how - or why - you would equate the "washy washy" solution with spitting on your hands. :eek: But whatever.....I'm done! :cool:

You were saying that putting a solution on your hands that does absolutely no good is better than nothing. Whether that useless solution is washy washy, lemon juice, or spit, it is all useless. I was equating two equally useless activities as far as preventing the spread of noro.