Kids friendly Alaska Cruise

OvalOffice

We are planning to go to Alaska cruise in July from Vancouver.

Our two kids 3 and 5 are very excited about this idea. I was looking at the options of cruises and did research at this forum. This is what I gathered, please correct me if I wrong. we are looking for kids entertainment and not necessarily an option for baby sitting by itself. For kids friendly Alaska cruises this is sort of the rating:

1. Disney (will not take as it is round trip and quite expensive)

2. Royal Caribbean -- Radiance of the seas (good programs for kids on board)

3. Princess cruise

4. Holland America (HAL club)

I would really appreciate if somebody can shed some light on these. We are really confused and will really appreciate any advise.

Thank you

Our two kids 3 and 5 are very excited about this idea. I was looking at the options of cruises and did research at this forum. This is what I gathered, please correct me if I wrong. we are looking for kids entertainment and not necessarily an option for baby sitting by itself. For kids friendly Alaska cruises this is sort of the rating:

3. Princess cruise

I would really appreciate if somebody can shed some light on these. We are really confused and will really appreciate any advise.

Thank you

I've taken each of these cruise lines with kids. I've sailed two of the cruise lines to Alaska. I'm not sure whether you're rating cruise lines, itinerary, kids amenities, best for Alaska etc.

My opinion is - Each of the cruise lines is best in different areas. Disney has Mickey Mouse, but I really don't like their kids clubs - they're chaotic. Royal Caribbean's Radiance is the best ship out of the group. Princess had the best kids club, imo. HAL has the best food and cabins. All of them have kids clubs that have done a great job at entertaining my kids (well, except for Disney).

Everybody has their own preference of cruise line. I would sail any of the above again. There is no "best". There is what works for you for your interests, budget and itinerary.

3. Princess cruise

Thank you

I'll just chime in and say that, generally, travel to Alaska is more about the itinerary than the ship.

As for the itinerary, Glacier Bay is felt to be a good choice for a first time cruise (or an "only time I'm going" cruise) , and not all cruiselines go there. I know that Holland America and Princess hold 80% of the permits to go there, not sure if Royal Caribbean has any, but Disney has none.

That being said, if you're set on selecting the cruise based on what the ship can offer, I'll point out that Disney usually get high marks for their kid's programs. And, except for the nursery, it's included in the cruisefare, and runs mostly all day/night (about 9:00 am-midnight most days)

I'm not familiar with Princess or Royal Caribbean's children's programs, so I can't really answer as to how good they are. I do know that some cruiselines

have limited hours, and extra costs for late night use.

Holland America kid's programs do get fairly high marks, also, but tend to be less populated.

Have you visited over on the Alaska board? They are quite helpful there for Alaska specific questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=55

I did Alaska in July on Celebrity from Seward to Vancouver. There were very few kids, maybe 20 at the most. I have done RCCI more than any cruise line, but not Alaska, and their big ships have a lot to appeal to kids. Don't know, just saying that Alaska cruises may be more adult oriented.

I've taken each of these cruise lines with kids. I've sailed two of the cruise lines to Alaska. I'm not sure whether you're rating cruise lines, itinerary, kids amenities, best for Alaska etc.

My opinion is - Each of the cruise lines is best in different areas. Disney has Mickey Mouse, but I really don't like their kids clubs - they're chaotic. Royal Caribbean's Radiance is the best ship out of the group. Princess had the best kids club, imo. HAL has the best food and cabins. All of them have kids clubs that have done a great job at entertaining my kids (well, except for Disney).

Everybody has their own preference of cruise line. I would sail any of the above again. There is no "best". There is what works for you for your interests, budget and itinerary.

We are primarily looking for kids entertainment. If they can be involved for 3-4 hours a day I think we will be in a very good shape.

We are primarily looking for kids entertainment. If they can be involved for 3-4 hours a day I think we will be in a very good shape.

Any of the cruise lines will be able to entertain your children for 3-4 hours a day.

For Alaska we'd pick either Princess or HAL because both have been cruising to Alaska for a very long time and provide an excellent proven cruise experience.

With children as a consideration I'd go with Princess. Our daughter absolutely loved the children and later the teen program on Princess. :)

LuLu

Add Carnival to your list too...

I have been reading the current cruise director's blog which is doing the Alaska route on the Miracle and he notes lots of kids on board now schools are coming to a close. Not sure if this is because of the date or because Carnival if often cited as the fun ships.

The ship itself is wonderful btw (sailed on her sister ship and the kids around us loved it).

I'll just chime in and say that, generally, travel to Alaska is more about the itinerary than the ship.

As for the itinerary, Glacier Bay is felt to be a good choice for a first time cruise (or an "only time I'm going" cruise) , and not all cruiselines go there. I know that Holland America and Princess hold 80% of the permits to go there, not sure if Royal Caribbean has any, but Disney has none.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd the parent Company of RCCL is actually banned from having any of its cruise lines entering Glacier Bay . Royal and Celebrity only go to either Tracy Arms or Hubbard Glacier. The State of Alaska charged RCCL in August 1999 for seven counts of violating state laws governing oil and hazardous waste disposal. In January 2000, RCCL pled guilty to dumping toxic chemicals (including dry-cleaning fluid) and oil-contaminated water into the state's waters. RCCL paid a 3.5 million dollar fine at the time.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Alaskan cruises tend to be port intensive but all of these cruiselines should have plenty of kids on board because most schools are out on summer break by July. Princess and HAL have the best reputation for this itinerary.

Our Alaskan cruise was ten years ago on the Sapphire Princess and our daughter was in the 7 (her age) to 12 year old group. Plenty of activities, including many science-oriented ones. She took her a model of a glacier and one of the solar system that she made there. Princess (as well as Carnival when we went on their ships) would have a couple of kids' dinner nights in the buffet -- you drop your kid off there to the side that has a "private party" sign. After dinner, the counselors bring the kids up to the program area for the evening activities.

If you want to enjoy some private time with your significant other, you can sign up for the post 10-pm kidsitting (pretty reasonable rate) usually about 24 hours in advance. The kids there will watch kid-friendly movies, play video games, etc.

We started taking our girl to at least one or two production shows each cruise from the time she was 23 months of age. On our most recent cruise (the two-week RT to Hawaii) our then 15-year-old hanged with kids her age, but a couple of times she'll ask what we were doing and she would come with us to a show.

Just back from RCI Radiance but with a 17 month old...great nursery program for this age in addition we did take note of the older childrens 3-11 group and were amazed at the great activities, area, staff and times offered..I brought home a brochure from each age group...any specific questions ?

Edited by Ashland