Spray Tan before cruising.....................

tandtmk04

I'm going on a 3-day cruise to Mexico in the middle of July and yesterday I started what I call my "pre-tanning routine". I've never use fake products because I have olive skin (think JLo or Jessica Alba) and I tan easily. But, I think this would work for anyone...I could be wrong.

I just go to the pool and swim (actually I'm just dog-pedaling) for about 1 hr. (I do use sunscreen and wear a straw hat) and by the time I get home I'll already have a light tan line. I will just keep doing this every week (wearing the same swimsuit and hat) and by the time I set sail...I'll have a nice natural tan. I never burn because I don't stay in the sun for that long a period of time. On vacation I do spend more time in the Sun (just being outside and doing water excursions) but I'll use tons of sunscreen and religiously reapply as needed.

I'm going on a 3-day cruise to Mexico in the middle of July and yesterday I started what I call my "pre-tanning routine". I've never use fake products because I have olive skin (think JLo or Jessica Alba) and I tan easily. But, I think this would work for anyone...I could be wrong.

I just go to the pool and swim (actually I'm just dog-pedaling) for about 1 hr. (I do use sunscreen and wear a straw hat) and by the time I get home I'll already have a light tan line. I will just keep doing this every week (wearing the same swimsuit and hat) and by the time I set sail...I'll have a nice natural tan. I never burn because I don't stay in the sun for that long a period of time. On vacation I do spend more time in the Sun (just being outside and doing water excursions) but I'll use tons of sunscreen and religiously reapply as needed.

Sounds like a great routine! :)

Yes, you are wrong ;)

Some people live in places where it's too cool to swim in an outdoor pool for an hour to build up a tan especially when their cruises or holidays aren't actually taken during summer where they live, although they may be going to warmer climes.

For example, I certainly wouldn't be keen on trying to get a tan by swimming during a Sydney winter, before heading off to Europe for a Mediterranean cruise in the northern hemisphere summer. :eek: :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I have been using Jergens Natural Glow in Medium to Tan skin tones. It is a foaming formula (like a mousse) that I use after I shower. You should start at your base (legs) then work your way up. I put on a robe and let it dry for about 5 minutes. On my face I use Jergens Natural Glow Face moisturizer in Medium to Tan skin tones. It is oil free and has a SPF of 20. I use that after I wash my face in the morning.

The color I have looks like I have spent the weekend at the beach, which I just did recently and felt very tan in my bikini. I used 30 SPF so I wouldn't burn.

You can get this at Walmart or other drug stores.

Have a great cruise!

Yes - Coppertone has one too that's a moisturizing lotion with a very light self-tanner in it. Just apply like a moisturizer, wash your hands WELL, and let dry. I've used it before each of my cruises and a trip to an AI in Mexico. It gives just enough pigment to not blind others when you strip down to your swimsuit.:eek: I still use sunscreen, of course, but it seems to help keep me from burning those first few days!

Sorry about that ladies. I don't have a pool either. I go to my friend's house once a week and we have lunch and go shopping or do some fun activity in the winter and in the spring and summer we have lunch by her pool and swim. I've lived in either FL or CA all my life and take sunshine for granted. Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to be able to sit in the sun whenever I want. :)

Edited by mousey

Sorry about that ladies. I don't have a pool either. I go to my friend's house once a week and we have lunch and go shopping or do some fun activity in the winter and in the spring and summer we have lunch by her pool and swim. I've lived in either FL or CA all my life and take sunshine for granted. Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to be able to sit in the sun whenever I want. :)

lucky to have a friend with a pool, time to do girl stuff AND cruise. I'm jealous!!! I'm in South Texas but you can have the sun, my very very pale pigment deprived skin can't take it :(

Interesting! What brand of spray tan did you work with?

Down here in Australia it's quite common to get spray tans before beach holidays, especially if you're going from the colder south to the warmer parts of Australia during our cooler months. And the Australian sun is probably the fiercest in the world due to a hole in the ozone layer and less pollution.

I've never had a problem with my spray tans. I only expect them to last a few days, just long enough for me to get a little natural colour to replace them.

I'm glad it works for you! Spray tanning is a nice way to get quick color. I used Norvell solution at the salon. Usually the airbrush lasts between 7-10 days under non-beach conditions, so customers would be disappointed when it only lasted a few days on their vacation.

I'm jealous too ;)

Sydney is just a tad cold in winter. We do get some warm days but they're only warm 11am-3pm at most. We don't have a pool either which is why we enjoy holidays where we can relax by pools.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I don't do spray tan but I do use Jergen's Natural Glow firming lotion. We have more than 6 months of snow up here and my legs get super white :eek: Like glow in the dark!

I started using it last year. I applied it (after I showered) for 2 weeks before our April trip to Disney. I could see the color changing, gets a little yellow for a couple of days and then it starts getting a little more tanned every day. By the time our trip came along I was ok with wearing white shorts ;)

I liked that it was a gradual thing and if one day you missed a spot it was no big deal, it does not rub off on your clothes and it does not smell bad.

Like other ladies, I use Jergen's Natural Glow. As a child growing up in south Florida I was perpetually brown. Somewhere over the years I lost the ability to tan and I just burn and freckle. That's no fun! After a couple of very bad burns that will likely cause cancer someday in the my future, I now wear 50 spf and a hat whenever I'm in the sun.

I use the fair to medium Jergen's because I am very pale and that gives me enough color. It doesn't smell like most self tanners and you don't have to walk around naked for 30 minutes while it dries. Just like any lotion, it dries in about 5 minutes. I like that it's an actual lotion too and leaves my skin soft. It isn't a stark change either - like "hey, you were super pale yesterday and today you're brown" - it's gradual and more like building up a natural tan, but without the risks. But do remember to wash your hands!

I only fake bake in the summer right before a vacation and I do what they call a cocktail- tanning bed to build up the base and then a spray tan. I like the results because the spray tan has a more natural tanned look as opposed to that gross orangey glow. And it doesn't fade for a long time.

Totally agree that you must let the spray tan set and it's not the best odor. I usually shower after 4-6 hours before bed. I also over moisturize because the spray tan can actually dry out your skin. I use a combo of almond oil and lightly scented ultra tan-extending lotion or some for of Jergen's. I do have the self-tanning lotions and do use those once or twice a week as needed in between visits to the tanning salon.

Honestly, it really depends on skin coloring on what will work best for each person. Some people are way too fair to do a spray tan. Yellow, red and olive tones tan the best. I'm very yellow and can get a deep golden but I can burn if not careful so I slather on the lotion. It can never hurt to put on a lot of lotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

I am rather fair and though I will tan it takes quite a bit of time in the sun (several days) and usually some burning before I ever tan. I use a ton of sunscreen because I do not want skin cancer and my deem says that I am very susceptible due to my skin (and my father has had it). I spray tan all summer long and definitely before I cruise. The best way to cut down or eliminate fading while on vacation is to bathe and wash off the salt water/chlorine and then moisturize. Using a good gradual sunless tanner as your lotion will moisturize your skin and help keep the glow. I have never had streaks from a fading tan while on vacation and because I spray tan so often we finally bought a professional airbrush tanning machine so my husband can spray me at home. Large upfront investment but definitely saves me money in the end as a good professional spray tan in my area can cost around $40. My favorite solutions are Norvell Venetian and Paradise Bronze. If you are worried then get a spray tan before the cruise and use a good gradual tanner for a week to see how it wears on you.

Another vote here for Jergens! I used to use it all the time. It's very subtle if you use it daily, then after a week or so, you catch yourself in the mirror and go wow I'm tan! LOL The "smell" is very minimal. Other brands the smell bothers me. Jergens is acceptable to me.

Now that I live in Vegas, don't have to worry about not getting tan. You almost can't avoid it!

Another product I used to use on my legs is Sally Hansen Airbrush legs. This is basically spray on hose/instant color. It's waterproof and smudgeproof, however the trade off is if you get wet, you have this waterproof coating on your legs so it's kinda obvious to tell you have something on your legs for people withing eyeshot. I used to use this for going out, not swimming. But when washing off in the shower, that's how I noticed how it looks when wet. But it's a good alternative. I have very visable veins, not vericose, but my veins and arteries are very near the surface of my skin. I hate that and unless I tan or fake tan, it's like green lines all over my body. Yuck. I love how some girls have lily white skin, but they don't have veins showing! So not everyone looks good embracing their paleness.