Spray Tan before cruising.....................

tandtmk04

Ok, just curious...... do you get a spay tan before you go on a cruise? I'm thinking about getting one, but worried what it will look like after laying in the sun, swimming etc. Don't want to look like I have stripes.... should it start washing off! lol :eek:

If you do get them or have got one for a cruise, did you have any issues after a few days?

Thanks! :)

I don't have any experience with spray on tans or know anyone who has, but I wouldn't do it because I would be afraid of in baking into my skin. If I know I will be in the sun, I will not wear make up, some people do. I love the sun and getting a tan. Which is not good either, but I do it.

I always spray tan before a cruise. We usually cruise in Oct so my summer tan is fading and I want to look at least a little tanned. Mine does fine in the sun and pools. If you get a good one it shouldn't matter.

I have been using Jergens Natural Glow in Medium to Tan skin tones. It is a foaming formula (like a mousse) that I use after I shower. You should start at your base (legs) then work your way up. I put on a robe and let it dry for about 5 minutes. On my face I use Jergens Natural Glow Face moisturizer in Medium to Tan skin tones. It is oil free and has a SPF of 20. I use that after I wash my face in the morning.

The color I have looks like I have spent the weekend at the beach, which I just did recently and felt very tan in my bikini. I used 30 SPF so I wouldn't burn.

You can get this at Walmart or other drug stores.

Have a great cruise!

Never spray tanned myself, but seen a few people who have on cruises.

To be honest, I can always tell. Which I guess is opposite to what the point is maybe?!?

I'm just lucky, being olive skinned I get pale in winter then go brown really easily.

To each their own. But if I was going to do it, I would most likely use a professional to avoid that obvious orange glow!

Never spray tanned myself, but seen a few people who have on cruises.

To be honest, I can always tell.

Is it the orange glow? ;)

IMO spray tans never look real, and in bright, natural sunlight it looks even worse. Embrace your pale!

I always use a sunless tanner before I cruise, especially since I can only spend limited time in the sun. I recommend about 10 days to 2 weeks start using a really good product (St. Tropez for example) every other day and moisturize really well on the alternate days. Then, take the same brand in misting spray form or tan towels with you to keep it fresh. Begin with a creamy mouse or lotion formula because they last longer.

The spray tans that I get at a salon come right off when I workout. I've found that largely you get what you pay for with self-applied products, so splurge. The cheaper ones don't last as well, and they tend to produce the oompa-loompa orange look.

I've been spray tanning at a salon for years, ever since skin cancer prevented me from laying out in the sun. Luckily I don't have melanoma, but lots of pre-cancers, basil and squamous cell. I see the Dermatologist about every 6-8 weeks to zap, freeze and/or removed all kinds of things. Basically I have lumps and bumps galore and the 'tan' sort of camoflauges it. They tell me that it wasn't the sun in later years that got me, but all the bad burns I got when I was a kid, of which there were many. Anyway, got a good membership where I can freeze for several months at a time, so works for me. I go a couple of times a week during the summer and again just before I go away, be it a cruise or land vacation. Regarding it not looking real or being orange, I have to say that I think all the products have come a long way over the years .... probably since so many don't spend a lot of time in the sun anymore, but like me, want to avoid the 'white whale look', lol in the warmer weather! And, I have boarded planes to Hawaii and had an attendant say to me 'you look like you just returned from Hawaii instead of just going' .... and many others have also commented on what a nice tan I had. So, guess it's subjective. While away for more than a week or so, I do use 'touch up' products. I've found a lot of some of the already mentioned brands to be really good, as well as Neutragena and Banana Boat brands too. I think the newer sprays work better than the wipe on towels or creams, but they all work well and I've never experienced steaks or orange. I don't spend a lot of time in the pools, and when at home have gone in our pool occasionally with no problem. However one night I sat in the jacuzzi for several hours talking and did notice a lot of it had worn off ... probably all that chlorine ... but that was years ago, so I don't know, maybe it's better lasting now. Just my experience ... good luck to you no matter what you do! :)

My friend is fanatical about NOT getting real sun...but she does the spray tan, or tan towels, or some form of "self-tanning"...and it looks awful after a few days. Especially around ankles, wrists, knees...any "crinkly" area. Yes...salt water and chlorine do make it streak.

Just enjoy your paleness...there's nothing prettier than healthy skin..flaunt it!

Never have done the spray tanning...but my fiance and I will usually hit a tanning salon starting a few weeks before any vacation that involves being in the sun, so we can get a good base tan and not fry on our vacation in the sun. I have an olive complexion...so I get really brown, really fast.

I always get a st tropez spray tan before my holiday because i don't want to be bright white when i get my legs out!!

The tan lasts for over a week, but i don't really swim a lot, so i don't know about the fade. The most important tip is to exfoliate well before the tan and use loads of body moisturiser after bathing or showering,when you have it, this will prevent it from fading.

A good quality, professional st tropez tan, done properly, you cannot tell it from the real thing, and it is most certainly not streaky, believe me, i would not have it if it was!

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

Hi all!

I forgot to mention that after you have applied the Jergens Natural Glow, make sure you wash the palms of your hands with soap and water, for a good ten seconds. Tan palms are odd looking :eek:!

Before I go out in an outfit that is strappy and/or shows off my legs, I use Jergens BB Body Perfecting skin cream in Medium-Deep Skin Tone. It adds a pretty glow to my skin and evens out the texture.

And no, I don't work for Jergens!:D

I'm very fond of Banana Boat. I have very white legs and can no longer bake in a tanning bed. This works perfect.

I put a deep moisturizing lotion all over and let it soak in. About a half hour later I apply the Banana Boat. Of course, if I don't take the time to apply I get thicker areas but generally I find that it works really well.

I always get a st tropez spray tan before my holiday because i don't want to be bright white when i get my legs out!!

The tan lasts for over a week, but i don't really swim a lot, so i don't know about the fade. The most important tip is to exfoliate well before the tan and use loads of body moisturiser after bathing or showering,when you have it, this will prevent it from fading.

A good quality, professional st tropez tan, done properly, you cannot tell it from the real thing, and it is most certainly not streaky, believe me, i would not have it if it was!

I agree, I always have a professional St Tropez tan applied before going on holidays and it always looks good. It is never streaky and it fades very naturally. In fact I never really notice it fading except on parts of me that are always covered LOL. The rest of me takes on a natural tan after a few days with minimal sunbathing.

It is important to find a good professional though, and also make sure they apply a medium depth tan, not a very dark one. St Tropez does come in more than one colour. It should come out looking gently golden.

As well as the tips above, make sure that you don't shower too close to when you are having your tan applied. Your shower should be at least 90 minutes prior. And leave plenty of time after the tan is applied for it to develop before showering it off. I usually book my spray tans in the morning then shower just before going to bed. Although I think St Tropez have now brought out one that develops in a couple of hours, but the ones I've had take 4-6 hours to develop. Also, if you can, don't wear a bra while your tan is developing, and just use a disposable g-string that day.

If you are unsure try one well in advance of your cruise to see how you like it.

I used to work as an airbrush tech at a salon, and we never recommended it for people to do before a cruise or any type of beach vacation. I'm assuming you're heading to the Caribbean or somewhere warm! :)

Salt water, chlorine, and sand are not good for spray tans. As you lose layers of your skin through exfoliation, you can also kiss your spray tan goodbye! Personally, when I got airbrushed a lot, it would start to come off on my neck and chest area when I would be sweaty or after swimming and it looked awful. Luckily I could exfoliate it all off and get a co-worker to touch it up for me, but you are likely to not have that luxury while cruising.

Some people also complain about how they smell when they sweat while having a spray tan, so that is something else to consider.

One more thing we would always tell people is that a spray tan does not protect you from the sun. Some people believed that just because their skin was dark, they would not burn :confused:

I don't know how you feel about tanning beds, but I always like to get a base tan to prevent myself from burning and to have some color!

I used to work as an airbrush tech at a salon, and we never recommended it for people to do before a cruise or any type of beach vacation. I'm assuming you're heading to the Caribbean or somewhere warm! :)

Interesting! What brand of spray tan did you work with?

Down here in Australia it's quite common to get spray tans before beach holidays, especially if you're going from the colder south to the warmer parts of Australia during our cooler months. And the Australian sun is probably the fiercest in the world due to a hole in the ozone layer and less pollution.

I've never had a problem with my spray tans. I only expect them to last a few days, just long enough for me to get a little natural colour to replace them.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Why fake bake :confused: you're gonna get the real thing on the cruise

Not me - I do nothing but freckle. Oh how I envy people who tan and don't burn and can spend more than 15 minutes in the sun.

I don't want to look like leather and a GOOD spray tan at the very lowest color makes me not neon. Hoping I can get one before I leave since being in the ocean is not on the agenda in Alaska.

Salt water, chlorine, and sand are not good for spray tans. As you lose layers of your skin through exfoliation, you can also kiss your spray tan goodbye! Personally, when I got airbrushed a lot, it would start to come off on my neck and chest area when I would be sweaty or after swimming and it looked awful. Luckily I could exfoliate it all off and get a co-worker to touch it up for me, but you are likely to not have that luxury while cruising.

Some people also complain about how they smell when they sweat while having a spray tan, so that is something else to consider.

One more thing we would always tell people is that a spray tan does not protect you from the sun. Some people believed that just because their skin was dark, they would not burn :confused:

I don't know how you feel about tanning beds, but I always like to get a base tan to prevent myself from burning and to have some color!

Yes...that's why I do it, to get a good base so as not to get fried first day of vacation in the sun and then spend the rest of the vacation feeling miserable with pain. Spray tans and fake tans in a bottle will not give you the base that protects one from burning. Great for having color perhaps...but will not help you keep from getting burned. We will be snorkeling and spending tons of time in the sun...especially at Half Moon Cay and getting that base tan has always kept me from getting burned. :)

I agree with this, St Tropez is an excellent product. A little pricier than the others but SO worth it.

I can't lay out in the sun because i'm very fair but I like a bit of color.

I always use a sunless tanner before I cruise, especially since I can only spend limited time in the sun. I recommend about 10 days to 2 weeks start using a really good product (St. Tropez for example) every other day and moisturize really well on the alternate days. Then, take the same brand in misting spray form or tan towels with you to keep it fresh. Begin with a creamy mouse or lotion formula because they last longer.

The spray tans that I get at a salon come right off when I workout. I've found that largely you get what you pay for with self-applied products, so splurge. The cheaper ones don't last as well, and they tend to produce the oompa-loompa orange look.