Permission form needed if one parent takes child on a cruise?

kay1864

While on RCL I spoke to a family that ran into this issue. RCL required the mom to have a notarized permission form from her teenage son's father (closed loop cruise), allowing her to take the son on the cruise (since it visited some non-US Caribbean islands). RCL claimed this requirement was in their terms and conditions.

I can't find any such requirement in Carnival's T&Cs. Is this a US government requirement? If so, where do I find this form?

It's not a US government requirement, but some foreign governments (Mexico comes to mind) require it, to assure that one parent isn't trying to abduct the child and escape US law enforcement.

On cruises, it's usually more lenient, as you don't really deal with customs in foreign countries, but I would sure have it to be safe.

It's always nice to have it when leaving the country. My parents live in Canada and if I travel with my kids but without my husband I always get a notarized letter. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is the form we use when traveling with my daughter's BFF. I have it notorized just in case.

Tam

Yes, I have seen it needed when traveling with some one else's child but not your own. Not being morbid but how would they even know the second parent is alive?

I have cruised without my husband....I took the letter on our last cruise and was never asked for it, so this cruise, I called carnival and they said yes, it's required. My husband and I went to the bank, got another letter notarized, and again, I was never asked for it. The one time I don't have it though, sure enough someone will demand seeing it :cool:

Their website says you have to have it and when called and asked they say you have to have a signed authorization. After 4 Carnival cruises with my step son, we have never been asked by Carnival for this authorization from his biological father. We were asked by Royal Caribbean and Disney Cruise Lines. Also, it you search, you will see that Mexico claims to require this authorization, but again, we have never been asked for the authorization in any foreign port. Regardless, it is always a good idea to have it and not need it, because not having it and needing it can put a real damper on a wonderful vacation.

Their website says you have to have it and when called and asked they say you have to have a signed authorization. After 4 Carnival cruises with my step son, we have never been asked by Carnival for this authorization from his biological father. We were asked by Royal Caribbean and Disney Cruise Lines. Also, it you search, you will see that Mexico claims to require this authorization, but again, we have never been asked for the authorization in any foreign port. Regardless, it is always a good idea to have it and not need it, because not having it and needing it can put a real damper on a wonderful vacation.

Where on their website do you see it? I don't think there's any harm in being "too prepared" so to each his own. But these boards seem to be full of a lot of fear mongering lately. Carnivals website says its recommended but not required. Even in Mexico, the form is only needed if you are going TO Mexico, not passing THROUGH Mexico. A closed loop cruise does NOT require a passport OR a notarized letter. It's recommended in case you miss the boat or your child decides to say they're being kidnapped. Both the Mexican government, CBP, and carnival however, do not require a letter.

The Mexican National Immigration Institute (INM) requires special documentation with regard to minor (under 18 years of age) travel if:

The minor is departing Mexico (i.e. not entering);

The minor is traveling by air or sea;

The minor is traveling alone or with someone other than a parent or legal guardian who is of legal age (grandparent, uncle/aunt, school group leader, etc.); and

The minor is using Mexican documents to travel (birth certificate, passport, temporary or permanent Mexican residency).

The minor will be required to present a document showing the consent to travel from at least one parent (or legal guardian) in order to leave Mexico.

A parent may fill out the authorization document online on INM's website. This document does NOT need to be notarized or have an apostille. Rather, the parent prints three copies and must obtain official stamps from INM at the airport on the day of travel prior to passenger check-in with the airline. For more information on this process please click here. For a video, here. Please note the online form, presentation, and video are in Spanish only.

Alternatively, the travel consent document may be independently-produced, but it must be in Spanish (English versions must be accompanied by a Spanish translation), contain several pieces of required data, and be notarized or have an apostille. For information, fees, and how to make an appointment for notarial services at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City please click here. To view a sample travel consent letter click here.

Importantly, if either the INM website form or an independently-produced document is used, it is valid only for 180 days, for one trip only (i.e. not multiple trips) and must be accompanied by the following:

Copy of minor’s passport (biographic page containing photo);

Copy of minor’s birth certificate;

Copy of parent or legal guardian’s valid, government-issued identification; and

Copy of valid, government-issued identification for the adult accompanying the minor (if applicable).

According to INM, this regulation does NOT apply to a minor traveling with one parent or legal guardian, i.e. a consent letter from the missing parent is NOT required.

The regulation DOES apply to dual national minors (Mexican plus another nationality) since under Mexican law the minor is required to enter and depart Mexico using Mexican documents. After departing Mexico with a Mexican passport the minor would then enter the United States using his/her U.S. passport.

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City has received numerous reports of U.S. citizens being required to provide notarized consent forms for circumstances falling outside of the categories listed above, and/or being asked for such permission at land border crossings. Accordingly, the Embassy recommends all minors traveling without both parents carry a notarized consent letter at all times in the event airline or Mexican immigration officials request one.

Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy, the nearest Mexican consulate, or INM for more information.

Good to have it. Especially if you have different last names

I have taken my daughter on 7 cruises--she is 8--nobody has ever asked who I am in relationship to her--we have different last names.

I am not even sure how some notorized form would work--so I get some random guy to go to a bank and say he is my daughters father and have this form notorized with him signing it... what proof is there that the guy/girl doing this form is actually the childs mom/dad?

My daughter and I have passport cards---nobody asks for anything beyond that, and if I did get a form signed by her father--unless I also bring her birth certificate---how do they know I am her mother or he is her father?

it might say recommended but I have read on this board where they have asked for the letter and when they dont have it, the child is then grilled about who they are cruising with, where they think the other parent is and other questions to make sure that you are not kidnapping your child. While I guess its no big deal if they eventually believe the child but if they have any doubts, I am not sure what they would do.

I would consider this enough reason to keep the notarized letter close to you. Everyone can choose whatever they want. if the cruise line recommends it and its within my power to do, I will do it.

and about how they would know if a parent is alive, they would ask. you AND your child and see if the story holds true. They would ask your child for details. if they dont believe it, I can assume you will have an issue boarding. You should carry a death certificate if your spouse is deceased

it might say recommended but I have read on this board where they have asked for the letter and when they dont have it, the child is then grilled about who they are cruising with, where they think the other parent is and other questions to make sure that you are not kidnapping your child. While I guess its no big deal if they eventually believe the child but if they have any doubts, I am not sure what they would do.

I would consider this enough reason to keep the notarized letter close to you. Everyone can choose whatever they want. if the cruise line recommends it and its within my power to do, I will do it.

and about how they would know if a parent is alive, they would ask. you AND your child and see if the story holds true. They would ask your child for details. if they dont believe it, I can assume you will have an issue boarding. You should carry a death certificate if your spouse is deceased

And if the father is just some loser that walked out when the child was little?? Yeah---"johnny--where is your dad? " "hmm, no idea, never met him"--sorry you cant cruise.

My friend has two children where she was artificially inseminated to have them. Should she have to carry around the sperm donors profile to prove something? I mean, really, what are people supposed to do?

Like I said above, even taking some random guy to a notary to sign some paper wouldn't mean squat--unless you also had to bring a birth certificate to the notary to show who you each are when you sign this form.

I would like to see an ACTUAL story of someone being denied boarding-not just a friend of a friend of a cousin of an ex.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzg5MDQ5ODcxL3NpZC8xT1A0VkpKbA%3D%3D

Please see that link. That is the U.S. government position on the matter.

Short Answer: Yes - Have a notarized letter per their outline at the link.

"While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful."

You do not want to watch your ship sail from inside the terminal! Better to have it and not be asked for it than vice versa. Given this knowledge do not put yourself in a position to jeopardize your vacation time and money; you will NOT win an argument with a customs agent, and I do not think any cruise insurance will reimburse you for not having proper documentation to board with. U.S. law supercedes any cruise line rule on the matter for ships in US waters.

Edited by LMaxwell

[quote=bingomamma19;43123612

I would like to see an ACTUAL story of someone being denied boarding-not just a friend of a friend of a cousin of an ex.

My point. It doesn't happen. People think they will grill a kid about a deceased parent but not ask the simple, "hey sweety, how was your trip? Where are you from? Who is this lady with you? Glad you had fun, here's your birth certificate back".

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzg5MDQ5ODcxL3NpZC8xT1A0VkpKbA%3D%3D

Please see that link. That is the U.S. government position on the matter.

Short Answer: Yes - Have a notarized letter per their outline at the link.

"While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful."

You do not want to watch your ship sail from inside the terminal! Better to have it and not be asked for it than vice versa

Notice how it's not required. Fully assessing the situation is a matter of asking the kid 3 questions. No one gets denied boarding or disembarking without a letter.

They don't even say it has to be notarized so I could really just write/sign my own letter. But I won't. Because it's my kid and I have every legal right to travel with her and it isn't required for me to discuss this with her father.

And if the father is just some loser that walked out when the child was little?? Yeah---"johnny--where is your dad? " "hmm, no idea, never met him"--sorry you cant cruise.

My friend has two children where she was artificially inseminated to have them. Should she have to carry around the sperm donors profile to prove something? I mean, really, what are people supposed to do?

Like I said above, even taking some random guy to a notary to sign some paper wouldn't mean squat--unless you also had to bring a birth certificate to the notary to show who you each are when you sign this form.

Please see my last post. You have been lucky so far traveling as a sole adult with a child with a different last name not to be questioned. I don't know you from Eve so I'm not commenting about you personally in any way whatsoever. I would hate for you to be detained at some point without whatever Customs tells you they may ask for and end up missing your trip.

Notice how it's not required. Fully assessing the situation is a matter of asking the kid 3 questions. No one gets denied boarding or disembarking without a letter.

They don't even say it has to be notarized so I could really just write/sign my own letter. But I won't. Because it's my kid and I have every legal right to travel with her and it isn't required for me to discuss this with her father.

They "suggest" it be notarized at the link. Customs has NO way of knowing if you're furious at your husband, or what extenuating circumstances may exist in the marriage, that's why a notarized letter pretty much ensures a minimum of delays. It passes a higher level of sniff test, so to speak. And Customs and Border Patrol absolutely CAN stop you from traveling. If you believe you have all legal right to do so without any documentation, I would suggest to contact a lawyer. I am not a lawyer and not giving you legal advice.

Look, I'm not going to argue with you. I'm providing the information for you and others to be aware of and make decisions accordingly. If you don't WANT to meet this higher bar, okay, take your chances. But you really should not tell others that NO ONE has ever been denied boarding and that all it takes is a couple of answers from a young child to get past CBP agents.

You are not going to get an actual story of it happening on Carnival.

There is a person who claims her friend was not allowed to board with her son, but that was years ago and when she was pressed, finally said it was another line, but never named that line.

There is also a lady that claims she is asked everytime and is even asked in Cozumel. EVERYTIME.

There is also a lady who used to always jump in on these threads that claims to be a check in person for Carnival and says she always ask for the letter, but everytime I asked what happened if they did not have it, I NEVER got an answer.

All this sort of makes you go hmmmmm.

But I figured out what to do if you are asked and don't have it. Just say you left it in the car, leave the desk and go to another check in person.

I figured out this crap a long time ago flying to mexico. I lived 3 hours from the airport. Got to the airport with son and they would not allow me to board with out the letter. I had no idea I needed anything. Airline said if they let us board we would be put straight back on the plane if I did not have the letter. I had about 4 hours to the next flight. No way to get the letter from his dad, then it hit me. We both had passports. no way to know who his dad really was, so I had my boyfriend go to the bank and get a notorized letter saying he knew we were going. He got it to me with 5 min left. Airline glanced at it and we were geting on the plane. Guy in Cozumel looked at it and then nodded for us to go thru. I know he did not speak english and I am prety sure he couldn't read it either.

I figured out this crap a long time ago flying to mexico. I lived 3 hours from the airport. Got to the airport with son and they would not allow me to board with out the letter. I had no idea I needed anything. Airline said if they let us board we would be put straight back on the plane if I did not have the letter. I had about 4 hours to the next flight. No way to get the letter from his dad, then it hit me. We both had passports. no way to know who his dad really was, so I had my boyfriend go to the bank and get a notorized letter saying he knew we were going. He got it to me with 5 min left. Airline glanced at it and we were geting on the plane. Guy in Cozumel looked at it and then nodded for us to go thru. I know he did not speak english and I am prety sure he couldn't read it either.

My point exactly. Look how much easier life got in a hurry when you produced the notarized letter they asked for.

I'm just saying having everything you COULD be asked for, in order, ready to go, will make a heck of a lot simpler instead of kicking carpet in the terminal!

What if it's a single father and the baby is too young to speak? What if it's this? What if it's that? What if...if you have the letter life is easy.

They "suggest" it be notarized at the link. Customs has NO way of knowing if you're furious at your husband, or what extenuating circumstances may exist in the marriage, that's why a notarized letter pretty much ensures a minimum of delays. It passes a higher level of sniff test, so to speak. And Customs and Border Patrol absolutely CAN stop you from traveling. If you believe you have all legal right to do so without any documentation, I would suggest to contact a lawyer. I am not a lawyer and not giving you legal advice.

Look, I'm not going to argue with you. I'm providing the information for you and others to be aware of and make decisions accordingly. If you don't WANT to meet this higher bar, okay, take your chances. But you really should not tell others that NO ONE has ever been denied boarding and that all it takes is a couple of answers from a young child to get past CBP agents.

No one is stopping a child from boarding a cruise ship where there is no need to suspect foul play and there are no paperwork requirements to demand.

It's better to be safe then sorry. Be more prepared then necessary. But there's no need to get people all riled up and insist that recommendation means requirement or that cbp is going to track down an absentee parent to require them to fly to Florida and give legal permission for the kid to get off the boat. It just doesn't make sense. If it was required, they would obviously say required.