Cell phones

lovedisney24

If the ship is in port, you will connect to your service provider. Once the ship sets sail, it switches to the ship's cell service. Easy to tell since instead of AT&T, Verizon, etc., it'll say, "MTN Services" or something like that.

I know on Disney when you board the ship in Port Canaveral your cell phone starts picking up on the cruse cell service. We didn't realize this until after our bill came - yikes! Does anyone know how it works with Princess?

Princess turns their towers off when in port. Regulations in the US is that they are supposed to but mistakes are made. Worked for a cellphone company and had many calls from people who'd never even been on cruises with odd international roaming charges until I started asking them "how far are you from xyz cruise terminal". Solved lots of questions. I've always experienced Princess to be very diligent in their maintaining their end. Just always double check your phone shows a proper US carrier on it and not international. I think Princess shows "ATT international" on your handset but correct me if I'm wrong.

The ships cell service MCP (Maritime Cellular at Sea) will show on your phone not AT&T. It does not start until the ship is at sea. ;)

The exact display can vary from carrier to carrier and depending on if you're GSM or CDMA, but thanks for the correction, I've never bothered turning my phone on at sea.

After receiving a rather large cellphone bill for "data roaming", I called my provider-Sprint_ and was reminded that my cell phone should be placed in "airplane" mode if on at all. I don't even remember looking at my phone anytime, other than in port. on a SFO to Vancouver cruise. Live and learn. Sprint, nicely refunded my money:)

Be careful!

While standing on our balcony looking out at the pier 35 facility in San Francisco my wife made a couple of calls and sent a picture of our cabin. We had just boarded and the ship didn't leave for another hour. Apparently she was connected to the facility on Star Princess as she was charged a fee for data. We "thought" that we didn't have to worry about that until after the ship sailed but that wasn't the case. Now we turn the phones off as soon as we board.

I turn off data on my phone so that it only works when connected to wifi. Data roaming is the expensive part. That way if there is an emergency someone can call my cell and reach me but otherwise there are no additional charges.

I turn off data on my phone so that it only works when connected to wifi. Data roaming is the expensive part. That way if there is an emergency someone can call my cell and reach me but otherwise there are no additional charges.

If you have a Samsung Galaxy 4 (and maybe later models) there is another setting that should be turned off. On my phone it's called Mobile Data, and it allows data usage using phone networks.

Apparently apps can initiate data roaming through this even though you have data roaming turned off. I discovered this the hard way although the charges were minor.

If you have a Samsung Galaxy 4 (and maybe later models) there is another setting that should be turned off. On my phone it's called Mobile Data, and it allows data usage using phone networks.

Apparently apps can initiate data roaming through this even though you have data roaming turned off. I discovered this the hard way although the charges were minor.

I have the Galaxy S3 and I turn off data roaming and mobile data, so the S3 is the same as yours. Works anytime I am out of the country and I can usually find a free hotspot to check emails and such.

I have the Galaxy S3 and I turn off data roaming and mobile data, so the S3 is the same as yours. Works anytime I am out of the country and I can usually find a free hotspot to check emails and such.

The S2 was different. Not sure whether it had the Mobile Data setting or not, but I never got hit with charges using that phone.

Data roaming is permanently off on my phone. Apparently it is possible for phones to roam in remote parts of your own country and that will incur similar brutal charges as international roaming. In Australia it would be all too easy to end up in one of those places where one service provider has a strong signal and another doesn't.

We use text messaging exclusively which is $.50 per text. Simply turn off wifi and data roaming. We are still subject to receiving emergency calls but don't usually answer them.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to tell what is authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to tell what is authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

LOL! DH says he was there when Lincoln said that. :D We do the text thing, and I have international texting (ATT) on my phone so I can text wherever. We haven't had need to text anyone on the ship, but I assume it would be the same as texting to someone on shore, no?

LOL! DH says he was there when Lincoln said that. :D We do the text thing, and I have international texting (ATT) on my phone so I can text wherever. We haven't had need to text anyone on the ship, but I assume it would be the same as texting to someone on shore, no?

No, you would by going thru the ship's cell connection and paying what they charge.

Yes, I always turn my phone to Airplane mode, but on my phone there's an extra section where you can turn off Data Roaming. I just keep it set to both just in case! And that way I can turn on the Wifi and use wifi wherever I can in port. To be honest, I am on vacation and don't end up using my cell phone anyway - nice to be disconnected for a while!

Very good info to know! Will be sure to check settings all the time and check with our provider..........use my phone to take pics a lot and then send out to friends! Thanks for this post and the info!