Victoria - changing money

runnergirl71

Can the ship change money from US$ to Canadian $? Or is there a place just off the ship? Or do places tend to accept either? Not sure that I'll be spending a lot, but I might do a pub crawl or something.

Local merchants mostly accept US$, expect your change in CN$ though. I am sure the front desk will change money for you as well.

Best exchange rate will be from ATMs and there likely is one in the building as you exit the pier.

DaveOKC

Local merchants mostly accept US$, expect your change in CN$ though. I am sure the front desk will change money for you as well.

Best exchange rate will be from ATMs and there likely is one in the building as you exit the pier.

DaveOKC

Thanks. I'm planning out my envelopes for my trip (for spending money - helps keep me on budget), so I'll just plan a small amount from the ATM that day.

I am sure the front desk will change money for you as well.
I don't think so. Know Before You Go says

CURRENCY EXCHANGE

The U.S. dollar is the only currency accepted on board

Holland America Line ships. We will accept U.S. traveler’s

checks. A currency exchange service will be available for

selected itineraries, such as the European and World Cruise

programs.

In Victoria I wouldn't bother getting CAD. Merchants will likely take $US at par, about an 8% advantage to them, which will more than cover their cost of converting your $US to $CAD.

Edited by catl331

I don't think so. Know Before You Go says

CURRENCY EXCHANGE

The U.S. dollar is the only currency accepted on board

Holland America Line ships. We will accept U.S. traveler’s

checks. A currency exchange service will be available for

selected itineraries, such as the European and World Cruise

programs.

In Victoria I wouldn't bother getting CAD. Merchants will likely take $US at par, about an 8% advantage to them, which will more than cover their cost of converting your $US to $CAD.

I stand corrected, but I am sure I have heard that the front desk will exchange money for you - perhaps this is just on certain routes that are routine (like Alaska). Anyone else know for sure?

Anyone else know for sure?

I know that the "European and World Cruises" mentioned by HAL are examples, and I also I know that I have exchanged money on other itineraries. But at the moment I can't recall specific/exact money exchanges I have made. Suffice it to say that there really isn't any predicting.

You can call Seattle in advance in an attempt to get a correct answer for your itinerary, and be happy if the answer you get turns out to be correct.

I stand corrected, but I am sure I have heard that the front desk will exchange money for you - perhaps this is just on certain routes that are routine (like Alaska). Anyone else know for sure?
I think they used to exchange money on all itineraries, but started this more-limited policy a couple of years ago. We've never exchanged money on the ship anywhere but Europe, so can't say for certain.

Can the ship change money from US$ to Canadian $? Or is there a place just off the ship? Or do places tend to accept either? Not sure that I'll be spending a lot, but I might do a pub crawl or something.

Exchange rate today is $1 US = C$1.082. Unless you are spending alot, not alot to worry about. Depending on you credit card, it will be converted back to US dollars, with no more or less than what a currency exchanges will cost you.

on all of our ak cruises we have met many canadian passengers. I bet most of them would gladly exchange some cn dollars for us at "even money"!

Daveokc

lol:d I will go down to the cruise ship terminal and have a sign!!

Edited by Christine Frances

Most merchants will likely accept USD probably close to par. You will get change in Canadian. But as someone said on another board I read, if you happen to have loose change, use it for a coffee or ice cream in port before returning to the ship. You can exchange the bills afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most merchants will likely accept USD probably close to par. You will get change in Canadian. But as someone said on another board I read, if you happen to have loose change, use it for a coffee or ice cream in port before returning to the ship. You can exchange the bills afterwards.

Quarter's, dimes, nickels are interchangeable in Canada (at par) Don't know what happens back in the US. Our banks don't differentiate. We cannot save a roll of US quarters and get $10 in USD (unless we go to the States) But on the up side, we have really pretty bills (plastic just like the EU and OZ)

As far as I can recall, I've never seen a Canadian merchant offer "close to par" for an exchange rate. We live in an area that gets lots of American visitors.

Accepting US $ in Canada is offered as a courtesy to US visitors; it is a pain in the butt for the merchants to do it, and takes time, costs and effort for the merchant to then convert the US $ to Canadian.

Edited by CowPrincess

As far as I can recall, I've never seen a Canadian merchant offer "close to par" for an exchange rate. We live in an area that gets lots of American visitors.

Accepting US $ in Canada is offered as a courtesy to US visitors; it is a pain in the butt for the merchants to do it, and takes time, costs and effort for the merchant to then convert the US $ to Canadian.

Got it. Don't bother giving them your business so as not to cause a "pain in the butt". Guess it will be room service and maybe wandering around to take pictures. Wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone.

Got it. Don't bother giving them your business so as not to cause a "pain in the butt". Guess it will be room service and maybe wandering around to take pictures. Wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone.

Nowhere did I suggest your business was a pain in the butt. I guess you missed the part about merchants extending the courtesy of accepting foreign money.

I was merely trying to explain why "close to par" (as suggested by another poster) might be unlikely. I've seen far too many visitors abuse staff (who are simply doing their jobs, not setting financial policies for their organizations) because American dollars were accepted, but at an unfavourable exchange rate.

I think merchants must be quite used to seeing usd in Victoria. I don't understand why it would cause stress for merchants but I don't live in Victoria. I often see posters telling people they should get the cash for the place they visit. That would be a pain as your visit is so short. When I go to Mexico I end up taking some pesos. What usually ends up happening is that I get a better rate using usd. I think when push comes to shove that vendors would rather have a sale than no sale.

Attitude will get you everything or nothing in a foreign country - and Victoria is in a foreign country. Since you seem anxious about the exchange, it might be best to get CAD at your bank before you go, or hit an ATM at the port.

I was merely trying to explain why "close to par" (as suggested by another poster) might be unlikely. I've seen far too many visitors abuse staff (who are simply doing their jobs, not setting financial policies for their organizations) because American dollars were accepted, but at an unfavourable exchange rate.

Wow.... The difference in the dollars are not huge right now so when I say close to par it's an approximation... But go ahead, take what was meant as a friendly comment WAY out of context. I can see why the reply made the comment about not giving them their business with attitudes like yours.