Bundle-packing

VUCowboy

This very often discussed on the Fashion and Beauty Board.

Many use a variety of ways to pack, even for the same trip.

Most will make several bundles, depending on activity or lodging. ie one bundle for pre cruise and another for the cruise itself.

For more info see onebag.com

This very often discussed on the Fashion and Beauty Board.

Many use a variety of ways to pack, even for the same trip.

Most will make several bundles, depending on activity or lodging. ie one bundle for pre cruise and another for the cruise itself.

For more info see onebag.com

I was surprised not to see a packing board, so I'll check that one out. Thanks!

I use bundling, but I start it right in the suitcase generally, and have some variations. Like, all my underwear and some other stuff is in a packing cube, and that is my "core". I heard a lecture and demo on this from a woman who I think invented this method, maybe about 30 years ago. I bought her book, and through the years I've bought other packing books too. It's an interesting topic for me. You really do cut down on the creasing with bundling.

Bundle, rolling, and cubes and folders all work. They all have pluses and minuses but I prefer a combination of rolling, folders and cubes. The biggest disadvantage of the bundle method is at the very end of the video and that is it is not TSA inspection friendly or accessibility if you need a garment in your bundle pre-cruise. It also a pain when packing and you change your mind and want to either add or subtract from your bundle.

Shak

interesting

Might work as long as you do not need anything until you unpack everything ;)

That's a fair criticism. However, on a cruise, I always unpack everything as soon as we reach the room -- on a different type of vacation, that might not be true.

My personal method is to put together all our dinner clothes bundle-style. . . But then I like to roll our daily clothes together in little rolls with a pair of matching shorts/ short together. When I unpack, I leave the daytime clothes in rolls when I put them into drawers. It makes sense to me.

Oh, and since we drive to the port / arrive a day early, I always pack our night-before stuff in a separate tote bag. We don't bring the cruise suitcase into the hotel room, and then we leave our dirty driving-day clothes in the tote bag in the car. Simple.

Edited by MrsPete

We usually fly in a day or more early so unpacking everything does not work

I pack similar to this method but do not roll stuff all together

It works for us still pack under 35lbs ea for a long cruise still need to pare down a bit ;)

I have always used packing cubes for as long as they have been around. They are wonderful for keeping all the undies together, all the socks together, etc.

I line the bottom of my suitcase with shoes/sandals, filled packing cubes, and jeans/capris. The heaviest of those items nearest the bottom of the case.

My blouses/shirts/tops I do bundle, smoothing each out as I layer them. Any jackets/sweater will be on the top layer towards bottom of case, and the blouses/shirts/tops etc. in their bundle will be in the center and top of the upper case.

Edited by SPacificbound
spelling

I have tried it, in a smaller way, to pack slacks and some shirts. The basic idea of interlacing things to avoid wrinkles does work and is great for cruises. But it does not work well when you are taking extended land trips and trying to live out of a suitcase. Another trick is when I pack a suit jacket or blazer I will stuff some underwear or socks in the sleeves in the area where the sleeve is folded. I start with half the jacket on the bottom of the bag, then pack other things on top of that half and finally fold over the other half on top of those other clothes (which can be bundled). On our recent 2 month trip I had a blazer packed like this (for most of 2 months) and it came out of the bag without a wrinkle.

Hank