Antarctica Landing Excursion question

lindaa

Hi everyone

The Antarctica excursion offered by HAL requires a minimum number of people to sign up. Does anyone know how many people are required for this excursion to happen? My DH is so excited about doing this and we realize that weather can also likely cancel it. But our fingers are crossed....

We would love to hear stories from anyone who has done this tour. Thanks so much!

Are you referring to the several hour flight in and out of Punta Arenas, Chile as the landing tour? When we did our South America and Antarctic cruise in 2010/11, the flight was cancelled, or not even scheduled really, because of the holiday. It would have occurred on 24 December. Otherwise, to my knowledge, HAL does not do any Antarctic landings, unless things have changed.

Yes. It is a 2.5 hour flight out of Punta Arenas to King George Island. Sad to hear that it didn't occur on your cruise. Apparently it is cancelled about 50% of the time due to unsafe weather conditions. There is also a minimum amount of people required to sign up for the excursion and I was just wondering if anyone knew what that number was. Thanks!

I wasn't aware HAL offered this. We signed up for it with Princess and they sold their minimum number several months in advance -- despite its high cost. The flight was canceled much in advance, they said due to expected weather. We heard later (just scuttlebutt from other passengers) that Princess had really bad experience with the excursion in that passengers were stranded in Antarticia by weather below takeoff minimums and the ship had to sail without them and Princess was then responsible for getting them to the next port. Don't know if that's true, but it sounds reasonable. By the way, this once in a lifetime opportunity to visit our 7th continent was the main reason we took that particular cruise. Real disappointment.

If getting on land on Antarctica is a major goal you are better off booking with an expedition ship such as National Geographic or Hurtigrutin. A trip that is really aimed at multiple landings, instead of a sail by cruise. Flying weather in Antarctica is always somewhat sketchy. During the 3 seasons that I did field work on a scientific project there flights went as scheduled only about half the time. One time we were delayed for a week flying in due to weather.

Edited by RDC1

If getting on land on Antarctica is a major goal you are better off booking with an expedition ship such as National Geographic or Hurtigrutin. A trip that is really aimed at multiple landings, instead of a sail by cruise. Flying weather in Antarctica is always somewhat sketchy.

I agree. I remember the excursion going elsewhere the first time I did the Antarctica cruise. I don't recall it even being offered the last two times (although that could just be my memory). I know in three trips there I never spoke with anyone who had made that excursion.

Three years ago we did a HAL antarctic trip, and a number of passengers booked the flight from Punta Arenas. it was canceled at the last minute, and when one of the passengers complained vigorously, was told by the tour operator that it "canceled 70% of the time".

I agree with the poster above. If "touching feet" is that important, choose one of the expedition cruises. (Having said THAT, we were very happy on HAL, who took us within "throwing distance" of the shore at least 5-6 times, and spent MUCH more time cruising the Continent than did NG. (PLUS we got Port Stanley and Volunteer Point which turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip!)

On our Jan 2011 Veendam trip, we understood the flight to Antarctica was fully booked, and preliminary "decontaminating" steps taken on board the ship, but then the excursion was canceled when our Punta Arenas stop was missed due to street demonstrations/blockages over heating gas prices.

We had already had three incredibly beautiful days of cruising the Antarctic Peninsula, close enough to shore to see individuals moving around the research stations, and to smell the thousands of penguins. The landscape looks so vulnerable, we had no real desire to set foot on land, but loved the HAL trip - would do it again anytime.

On our Jan 2011 Veendam trip, we understood the flight to Antarctica was fully booked, and preliminary "decontaminating" steps taken on board the ship, but then the excursion was canceled when our Punta Arenas stop was missed due to street demonstrations/blockages over heating gas prices.

We had already had three incredibly beautiful days of cruising the Antarctic Peninsula, close enough to shore to see individuals moving around the research stations, and to smell the thousands of penguins. The landscape looks so vulnerable, we had no real desire to set foot on land, but loved the HAL trip - would do it again anytime.

Looks like you were getting on Veendam as we were getting off, in Buenos Aires, right? This cruise was an incredible experience and we are considering going again in 2016, if cruises are still being allowed then.

We also heard the 70% cancellation rate due to various issues, most often the weather. If you really must reach land, an expedition cruise is the way to be almost sure you'll do so. As for the minimum passengers needed to fly from Punta Arenas, I've no idea. Hopefully someone here will know.

Hi everyone

The Antarctica excursion offered by HAL requires a minimum number of people to sign up. Does anyone know how many people are required for this excursion to happen? My DH is so excited about doing this and we realize that weather can also likely cancel it. But our fingers are crossed....

We would love to hear stories from anyone who has done this tour. Thanks so much!

It was a GO on the Around South America cruise several years ago. One of the peak experiences of my life. We all nearly cried when the plane took off and when the pilot came on and said we were starting our descent and we should all put on our warm clothes - it was really a thrill. We went to Frei Airforce Base operated by the Chilean government. Our naturalist was the lady who helped design the Sea World penguin exhibit. We took zodiac out to nearby islands and sat amongst the penguins. Worth every penny!