Venice Embarkation - Do I have enough time to....

eptice

Hello All,

Wondering your thoughts on this:

DW and I are on board the NCL Jade Oct. 4-11 (Greek Isles). We are arriving Thursday, prior to the Saturday embarkation. We will do a "Venice tour with gondola ride" Thursday evening along with a cicchetti crawl. Friday we plan on visiting St. Marks, Doge's Palace (already booked) and Accademia Museum (and another cicchetti crawl) ;)

Here is my question for Saturday, embarkation day: I believe we embark at 6pm, so I am assuming we have to be on board no later than 4pm for muster. I was thinking of booking a 4hr tour of Murano, Burano, and Torcello that begins at 9:30am. This would take us to 1:30 and then I belive we could go back to the apartment we are staying at and be at the pier by 2:30pm.

Is this too late? Am I cutting it too close? I just want to get a feel for what you would do, and why.

Thank you all!

Do you need to be onboard by 4pm? Doesn't sound like you know for sure.

Where does the tour drop you off? how far is that from your apt? and how far is the apt from the pier? I mean, it could take an hour to return to your apt after the tour, collect your belongings, and get to the pier.

It wouldn't be within my comfort zone, not if short delay meant that I might miss the cruise. OTOH if your tour ends at Piazzale Roma and your apt is 5 minutes away, that would work. So .... a little more information please.

The tour starts near St. Marks, and my apartment is in San Polo, by the San Silvestro stop. 15 min walk from St. Marks, 15 mins to grab our stuff and a half hour to get to P. Roma. That is what I was thinking...

The tour starts near St. Marks, and my apartment is in San Polo, by the San Silvestro stop. 15 min walk from St. Marks, 15 mins to grab our stuff and a half hour to get to P. Roma. That is what I was thinking...

And then from PRoma, you walk to the People Mover, ride the tram for 3 minutes, then walk to whichever berth your ship is using, so another 15 minutes.

There's no room for ANY delay .

To save 30-40 minutes, perhaps you could drop your stuff off at the ship prior to the tour? OR if they won't take your luggage at 8:am, use the Left Luggage facility at Piazzale Roma, then hightail it to StMarks for the tour.

Conversely, you could just buy a vaporetto pass and take it out to Murano and Burano by yourselves. Leave as early as you like. Really no tour needed. But it does take quite a while to reach Burano, check the timetables.

We did this on our own but started around 7:30. We were back in Venice by 2:00 and easily made the ship.

Burano is not a place to go on a day when you are in a hurry. From the cruise port to Burano can take nearly 1 1/2 hours (1 way) via Vaporettos if you do not get lucky with connections. DW and I love to go out to Burano to escape the hustle and bustle of Venice, as it is a residential island where things run at a slower pace. There are also some decent restaurants on the island, especially for those looking for seafood.

Hank

Thank you all! I just wanted to reply with my decision... I wanted it to work, but I was thinking the timing was too tight, and you all confirmed for me. Thank you!

Friday, we are going to go into St. Marks, then do the Doge's Palace Secret tour, THEN go on a tour of the three islands in the afternoon.

That will leave Accademia and Saint Giorgio Maggiori Saturday morning prior to embarkation :)

Thank you all! I just wanted to reply with my decision... I wanted it to work, but I was thinking the timing was too tight, and you all confirmed for me. Thank you!

Friday, we are going to go into St. Marks, then do the Doge's Palace Secret tour, THEN go on a tour of the three islands in the afternoon.

That will leave Accademia and Saint Giorgio Maggiori Saturday morning prior to embarkation :)

who are you booking the 4 hour tour with?

we booked a while ago via viator for £17-notice price has gone up to £28 now!

venicelink selling same tour for 17 euro

we are doing the tour day before embarkation

Sounds like a great plan ... same activities but without the worry of being late!! Have a great trip.

who are you booking the 4 hour tour with?

we booked a while ago via viator for £17-notice price has gone up to £28 now!

venicelink selling same tour for 17 euro

we are doing the tour day before embarkation

Hi fabn40,

I think I am just going to purchase through Chase Rewards, as I have some points to use toward it. I am just trying to decide between the 3 island tour where you basically get off the boat and have about 30-40 minutes per island that costs $55. OR a Murano and Burano tour with a guide that takes you into a glassblowing shop and you see a demo, and same in Murano with lace. This one costs $100, as opposed to the $55. Any suggestions?

Since you have a full afternoon, why not go DIY so you can explore at your own leisure? 40 minutes isn't long enough. You don't need a tour to see a glass blowing demo or to get to the other islands. Maybe start with Murano to ensure you get the glass blowing if that's a priority.

We had a 2 day vaporetto pass and did Burano and Murano on our own. What i enjoyed most was wandering along the quiet canals and the quiet residential areas. Great photo opps.

Read thru the several pages in this link for island info:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-islands-tour.htm