Getaway June 14-21 Haven review - one word FABULOUS!!!

maja651

Could you provide a little insight on the people in your party with the aft penthouse? Did they find themselves just hanging in the Haven more? Did they suggest that they would rather have stayed in the Haven-adjacent area?

We currently have aft penthouses, but thinking it might be best for me to change that quickly...

Thanks

New poster (hi everyone)

Aurelius

Could you provide a little insight on the people in your party with the aft penthouse? Did they find themselves just hanging in the Haven more? Did they suggest that they would rather have stayed in the Haven-adjacent area?

We currently have aft penthouses, but thinking it might be best for me to change that quickly...

Thanks

New poster (hi everyone)

Aurelius

I know that you did not address this to me - but we have stayed in both locations so I will share our experience:

In 2012 - on the Epic we had a 2 bedroom villa suite (17016) - our first NCL and Haven experience. Celebrating our 30th anniversary and wanted something "really special". We LOVED the Haven - rarely left except to go to a show or specaility restaurant.

In 2013 we booked the Breakaway - Haven aft penthouse with balcony (9316). Still throughly enjoyed the Haven area - never felt it was "too far" or not worth going. Still had outstanding service from the Butler and Concierge services. Would never even consider trading that balcony to be closer the the "haven area" ;). In fact - because we walked back and forth we experienced more of the ship than we would have if we had stayed exclusively in the Haven area like we did on the Epic.

Here is a link to my fb photos from the Breakaway. You do not need a fb log in to see the photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201028887301742.1073741827.1154291247&type=1&l=22213e86c7

We now that the exact same Haven aft penthouse booked on the Getaway for 2015 and the Escape for 2016.

We have always loved aft wrap cabins - most of our Carnival cruises were also aft wraps (some suites some not). But the Haven/NCL suite experience WAY overshadows any of those and as I said before we would NEVER trade the privacy, that balcony and those views for a cabin in the Haven area. No matter how far the walk to the Haven area. ;) :D

Either is an EXCELLENT choice. If there is anything else I can share to help with your decision - let me know!

Thanks

New poster (hi everyone)

Aurelius

I see someone already posted their experience and opinion, but here is mine. Our friends did not seem to mind the walk to the Haven. As I mentioned, they ate every meal there, mostly because Tyler their son demanded it. Lol. They didn't use the other Haven facilities though, so not sure if their location was the reason or not.

MY personal experience was that when we were in the aft on the Epic we didn't use the facilities as much and although we had a great butler, and excellent concierge service, it felt different to us when we were actually IN the Haven. Our experience is that WE would only book in the Haven, but that's us.

I've only done one cruise, but I am glad we were actually in the Haven. We would often walk by the concierge desk on our way to and from things, so it was simple to make requests and the staff would often check on things with us as we walked by. Since we didn't actually use the butler much, but the concierge staff was a huge help to us, our location made a difference. As I'm looking at the Getaway and Breakaway, I know that we probably wouldn't consider a cabin that wasn't actually in the Haven.

And just to give you some perspective of the facilities we used (we were on the Epic) -- we ate breakfast several times in the Haven restaurant and lunch once. We never ate dinner there. I visited the pool once -- my husband maybe two or three times. We did, however, use Posh and the small gym that was available to us. The concierge desk was a great help to us and I appreciated being able to stop by to take of things when there was no one else there.

I see someone already posted their experience and opinion, but here is mine. Our friends did not seem to mind the walk to the Haven. As I mentioned, they ate every meal there, mostly because Tyler their son demanded it. Lol. They didn't use the other Haven facilities though, so not sure if their location was the reason or not.

MY personal experience was that when we were in the aft on the Epic we didn't use the facilities as much and although we had a great butler, and excellent concierge service, it felt different to us when we were actually IN the Haven. Our experience is that WE would only book in the Haven, but that's us.

In all fairness - that is a true statement!

It did feel different on the Epic - when we were "in" the Haven. I kinda thought it was because it was our first NCL experience and we really never left the Haven area on the Epic. :o That whole "ship within a ship" feel that the Haven provides can let you totally forget that you are on a mega ship.

But we did not feel any less welcome or special when we were in the Haven on the Breakaway. We spent most of our days there and enjoyed all of the amenities. Just as we would have if the cabin had been in the courtyard......AND we had that phenomenal balcony to enjoy as well! ;) :D

Edited by happy cruzin

In all fairness - that is a true statement!

It did feel different on the Epic - when we were "in" the Haven. I kinda thought it was because it was our first NCL experience and we really never left the Haven area on the Epic. :o That whole "ship within a ship" feel that the Haven provides can let you totally forget that you are on a mega ship.

But we did not feel any less welcome or special when we were in the Haven on the Breakaway. We spent most of our days there and enjoyed all of the amenities. Just as we would have if the cabin had been in the courtyard......AND we had that phenomenal balcony to enjoy as well! ;) :D

Yes, I think what we liked so much was the "ship within a ship feeling". We really liked that part, and because we were in the Haven, the crowds which normally wouldn't bother us THAT much seemed to drive us nuts. Walking back into the Haven was like that Calgon commercial...."take me away". :D The staff made everyone feel special whether their cabin was in the Haven or not. THAT is definitely true!

I've only done one cruise, but I am glad we were actually in the Haven. We would often walk by the concierge desk on our way to and from things, so it was simple to make requests and the staff would often check on things with us as we walked by. Since we didn't actually use the butler much, but the concierge staff was a huge help to us, our location made a difference. As I'm looking at the Getaway and Breakaway, I know that we probably wouldn't consider a cabin that wasn't actually in the Haven.

And just to give you some perspective of the facilities we used (we were on the Epic) -- we ate breakfast several times in the Haven restaurant and lunch once. We never ate dinner there. I visited the pool once -- my husband maybe two or three times. We did, however, use Posh and the small gym that was available to us. The concierge desk was a great help to us and I appreciated being able to stop by to take of things when there was no one else there.

I think that is pretty standard for all Haven guests.

They make a point to greet everyone by name - follow up on details and inquire how they could help make things even better for all of the Haven guests as they pass by the desk. :)

Thanks

New poster (hi everyone)

Aurelius

LOL_ I was going to ask the Exact same thing- (not about changing :D but what the other folks thought of it) My DH and Love the Aft PH suite (we will be on the getaway next year) -The past couple of years, we spent in the Epic Aft PH suite-- we never had issues with the walk and enjoyed seeing the other areas of the ship. The getaway aft PH suites are VERY different than the Epic and I cannot wait to see and experience that Balcony!!

Anyways, Thanks Michelle for another great review and pictures!

• 2 weeks later...
Tracy we are on BA the week before you. Do you know when Adrian is leaving on vacation? I'm guessing we won't be lucky enough to be the last cruise before he goes. :rolleyes:

I don't know the exact date that he leaves for vacation, sorry. I will try and find out. I just know he said he would be gone on the 21st.

Tracy

I don't know the exact date that he leaves for vacation, sorry. I will try and find out. I just know he said he would be gone on the 21st.

Tracy

When you refer to" Anoop filling in" do you mean the Geatway Anoop?

I got all excited when I saw that you said Adrain will be gone on the 21- was hoping it was July... Then I checked your signatures. ( I was in do not show signature setting) dang. You are talking about August.

This Anoop,guy sounds like a real jack weed., and not just from Michelle's review. A friend on board earlier this year told us that he treats most families with barely- masked disdain, and Naomi was described as the absent - minded concierge , always chasing her tail.

Still waiting to experience a great concierge on NCL. Fortunate not to require much, but with the roll out of the UDP and all these on- line reservations, I don't doubt that we will have an issue pop up. We make all our own arrangements, but being that this is the hubster's 50th, I want it to be prefect-ish.

Perhaps I shall practice my entitled, spoiled biotch voice. And flaunt my Crown Jewels!, My girlfriend told me those were the folks who seemed to be drooled upon by the Con- staff.

I don't need drool-

Just escargot!

Michelle- still loving your review!

Thirteen days to go!!!

Nora

I got all excited when I saw that you said Adrain will be gone on the 21- was hoping it was July... Then I checked your signatures. ( I was in do not show signature setting) dang. You are talking about August.

This Anoop,guy sounds like a real jack weed., and not just from Michelle's review. A friend on board earlier this year told us that he treats most families with barely- masked disdain, and Naomi was described as the absent - minded concierge , always chasing her tail.

Still waiting to experience a great concierge on NCL. Fortunate not to require much, but with the roll out of the UDP and all these on- line reservations, I don't doubt that we will have an issue pop up. We make all our own arrangements, but being that this is the hubster's 50th, I want it to be prefect-ish.

Perhaps I shall practice my entitled, spoiled biotch voice. And flaunt my Crown Jewels!, My girlfriend told me those were the folks who seemed to be drooled upon by the Con- staff.

I don't need drool-

Just escargot!

Thirteen days to go!!!

Nora

I would not say Anoop is THAT bad, he just was NOTHING like Adrian. Your description of Noemi is spot on though. I hope we never have to deal with her again. We are certainly not the entitled spoiled biotch types, so maybe that is why we weren't drooled upon. Lol. The most disappointing part was missing Le Bistro because of the Concierge issues, but like I said, we liked the Haven dining so much it wasn't really THAT big of a deal, and it saved us money. :D

Now, our next cruise is back on the Star with no Haven restaurant, how are we going to live? Lol

Speaking of that, does anyone know who the concierge is on he he Star now? I sure pray it is not Patrick when we sail next year!

Have fun on your cruise! I am sure you will!

I think that is pretty standard for all Haven guests.

They make a point to greet everyone by name - follow up on details and inquire how they could help make things even better for all of the Haven guests as they pass by the desk. :)

YMMV on this depending on the staff. On our cruise in March on the BA, this was not the case at all.

I would not say Anoop is THAT bad, he just was NOTHING like Adrian. Your description of Noemi is spot on though. I hope we never have to deal with her again. We are certainly not the entitled spoiled biotch types, so maybe that is why we weren't drooled upon. Lol. The most disappointing part was missing Le Bistro because of the Concierge issues, but like I said, we liked the Haven dining so much it wasn't really THAT big of a deal, and it saved us money. :D

Now, our next cruise is back on the Star with no Haven restaurant, how are we going to live? Lol

Speaking of that, does anyone know who the concierge is on he he Star now? I sure pray it is not Patrick when we sail next year!

Have fun on your cruise! I am sure you will!

Funny you say not Patrick, but of the ones we've had, he has been the best - although I wouldn't say anything super special.

We were talking to our friends last night who did their 2nd Epic cruise recently and I asked about their experiences. In order - room steward great - did stuff butler should have done in cases. Butler - nothing special - concierge - worthless in their words.

Funny you say not Patrick, but of the ones we've had, he has been the best - although I wouldn't say anything super special.

We were talking to our friends last night who did their 2nd Epic cruise recently and I asked about their experiences. In order - room steward great - did stuff butler should have done in cases. Butler - nothing special - concierge - worthless in their words.

Patrick was our concierge on the Star when we cruised back in 2011. We were in a lowly aft penthouse then, so if he is still the concierge on our next cruise, we shall see how he is when we are in the Owner's suite, or fingers crossed, GV. He pretty much ignored us, and was somewhat rude to us, but drooled over the top suite passengers. And let me tell you, if he is the concierge, and he does that us very different than other suite passengers, that will annoy me even more!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for your review!! We are sailing Feb 28th 2015 in a 2 bdr family suite in haven on starboard side. We have 2 lil ones should we try to switch to other side if ship for better views for our lil ones??? Thanks again...

Joe

Joe (ICT Cruiser) going mobile from the CC iPhone app :-)

We were in the starboard side and had no issues with the views. :). We chose that side becuase it is the Haven or Vibe sundeck above you, not the public sundeck. It was very quiet, and we loved our location.

• 5 months later...
We were in 16710 and 16712 on the May 24 cruise. Sopi was an awesome room attendant. Greeted us by name when we first came to the room. Oliver was fantastic. Suzanna always took great care of us. We too rarely left the Haven. It was our best cruise ever!

Hi, can you tell me more about cabin 16710? I just booked it for my daughter and I, but not until fall of 2016. Thanks!

Leah

I don't need drool-

Just escargot!

Thirteen days to go!!!

Nora

Anoop is a good concierge. He gets the job done. But he is not one of the overly friendly types that fawn all over the passengers. Some may hold that against him ;)

He helped us out on some things but you must go to him. He is not the type to say good morning if you walk past the concierge desk unless you say it first. He is competent and a good concierge. A concierge cannot do miracles though. He could not get us into Cagneys one night and could not get us into an excursion on St John. He also told us to make sure we pre-booked the Cirque show because there was no guarantee he could get us in. Some may freak out to hear such things but he is realistic.

Here is how he really went out of his way to help us:

Allowed us to use the phone at sea to contact a dentist in St Maarten. He even found the dentists for us to call.

We were running late because could not find my brother in-law. He went outside to smoke without telling anyone. We almost missed our excursion if it was not for Anoop to take us down the freight elevator for a quick exit to catch the tour.

So when it comes down to it, I will take a competent concierge over a bubbly overly nice one if he/she can get the job done.

Edited by david_sobe

Interesting how different folks have different experiences with the concierge staff. We have sailed with Patrick, Anoop, Carlos, Florentina, Elvina and several others as our concierge and can honestly say we had great experiences with all of them! We sail in AFT PH's on Dawn, Star, Jewel and Pearl (no desire to sail the bigger ships). We knew Anoop from his days as a butler and he is a pleasant, engaging guy with a ready laugh and smile. Elvina is one of the best concierges' we've ever had the privilege to sail with. YMMV but we've always had great butler/concierge teams.

Sent from my iPad using Forums