Italy in Oct. Hours of Sunshine ?

SAS21

I have been researching for a possible cruise in Oct. 2015. Prices are good, but now I am wondering about the weather and hours of sunshine at that time of year. I've read that Venice, Italy only gets 6 hours a day, could that be correct?

Without wishing to sound facetious Italy is a big country (although not by US standards) and there can be a real difference between the climate in, say, Venice in the north and Messina in the south. Also, in October, there can be quite a lot of difference between the start and the end in terms of weather patterns.

Perhaps you could give a bit more detail about the cruise(s) you are considering.

Edited by Bobal

For Venice, the daily hours of sunshine average in October is indeed around 6 hours per day, so your information is correct.

This of course has nothing to do with what time the sun rises and sets, it's about cloud cover during daylight hours. Venice can often be rather misty in the autumn too, it's very pretty but of course does reduce the sunshine hours per day.

You do need to keep in mind that it is an average, and you're more likely to get more sunny days at the beginning of October than at the end.

October is one of the more difficult to predict months for weather in the Mediterranean.

Thanks everyone!

The cruise I am interested in is the Vision out of Barcelona on Oct. 19 2015. So it would be at the later part of the month which may not be the best time to go. Although cheaper, maybe not as enjoyable weather wise. I may have to rethink this trip. Both my other europe trips were in spring with great weather.

We have done three or ?? Med cruises at that time of year and into November. Venice was glorious, perfect. I remember rain in Barcelona one time, and I remember being too warm with a sweater on in Rome. Athens was hot! I think it's great time to go, lower prices, fewer crowds, and the weather is a total crapshoot ANY time of year you go--some years you get lucky, and some years you don't. I wouldn't hesitate booking a Fall Med cruise again.

This weekend, Celebrity is having some great pricing on a few sailings that include a free drinks package--but I think it expires tonight. http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/cyber-sale?icid=hp_ct_brndgn_1401_spcl_lk_547331

We disembarked Silhouette in Venice on Halloween last year. Thats October 31st ! We had wonderful weather and did not notice the sun going down that early. We always travel to Europe in the late fall. We have been lucky maybe as have always had wonderful weather. We did do one Med cruise in early May and by the time we got back to Rome after the cruise in mid May it was hot !

Now after all that - the one thing you do have to worry about in Venice in the fall is the Aqua Alta - or high water. St. Marks square and other areas flood. It has to do with the winds that come up the Adriatic Sea from the south.

On the morning we left the tide was coming up but not over the top yet….. but later that day it did.

There is a website that predicts the Aqua Alta and it was right on the mark for our visit….. luckily as we had my mother in law in a wheel chair with us.

This is a nice time to sail the Med in terms of some of the ports being less crowded than in the summer months and it not being so hot and humid. Yes, it gets dark earlier and you might have a higher chance for rain but I would still sail this time of year, (April or September are nice too) over the summer.

Keith

October in the Med is when the weather starts to change and can become unpredictable. You can have bright, sunny days, but, equally it could rain all day. Nobody can predict the weather. Remember we change our clocks back at the end of October to GMT, so days are shorter.

In cities there is always plenty to see and do which isn't affected by weather. However, if you want to sit on a beach, it may not be the time to choose. I wold probably choose May/June, but that is my personal choice.

The area you are looking at is prone to rain even in the summer. We have cruised that area a lot including October (last week of) and in May (first week of) and have had heavy rain on some days - equally we've had lovely weather on other days. But it is a risk you take that late in the season. Whilst there will always be people who've experienced wonderful weather I can say that the worst weather we've ever had on a cruise was on that route on the last week in October and we vowed never to sail the west Med again at that time.

If you have a preference and wish to have nice weather but avoid heavy crowds I would choose early June or late September.