Dining Reservation Glitch

Ventura

We invited 3 other couples who we've arranged "Cruise Critic" excursions with to join us for dinner in Toscana on our upcoming cruise. We are concierge level and the others are in lower categories. I made these arrangements by telephone with Oceania when concierge level availabilty opened. There are limited tables for 8, but I was able to get the reservation for an evening that we had all agreed upon. I was able to invite guests to my reservation even though they were not eligible for booking at the time. When one of the couples went in to secure their reservation for Polo Grill, they noted the confirmed Toscana reservation. However, when they booked Polo Grill, their Toscana reservation with us disappeared. My reservation summary now shows a table for 6. I contacted Oceania to fix the problem, and of course someone else has grabbed the table for 8. There are no more tables for 8 available. Dealing with Oceania has been extremely frustrating. Oceania claims that the reservation was cancelled and that a key must have been inadvertently pressed. This was not the case, and the problem appears to be a glitch in the reservation system that treats invited guests differently. We truly resent the assumption that this was human error. Both of us have made numerous phone calls to Oceania's reservation department, and have asked to speak to supervisors to escalate a resolution -- we obviously want the original reservation reinstated. The only suggestion has been to wait until we're on board and cancellations may (or may not) happen. Not sure that we're willing to take that chance. I feel terrible that we may not be able to include the 4th couple at our table. It's also unlikely at this point that there's another evening we can find that we haven't already booked, or with availability. Our anticipated enjoyable evening together has left a bad taste without touching a fork. If anyone else has had experience with this issue, I'd be grateful for assistance.

We invited 3 other couples who we've arranged "Cruise Critic" excursions with to join us for dinner in Toscana on our upcoming cruise. We are concierge level and the others are in lower categories. I made these arrangements by telephone with Oceania when concierge level availabilty opened. There are limited tables for 8, but I was able to get the reservation for an evening that we had all agreed upon. I was able to invite guests to my reservation even though they were not eligible for booking at the time. When one of the couples went in to secure their reservation for Polo Grill, they noted the confirmed Toscana reservation. However, when they booked Polo Grill, their Toscana reservation with us disappeared. My reservation summary now shows a table for 6. I contacted Oceania to fix the problem, and of course someone else has grabbed the table for 8. There are no more tables for 8 available. Dealing with Oceania has been extremely frustrating. Oceania claims that the reservation was cancelled and that a key must have been inadvertently pressed. This was not the case, and the problem appears to be a glitch in the reservation system that treats invited guests differently. We truly resent the assumption that this was human error. Both of us have made numerous phone calls to Oceania's reservation department, and have asked to speak to supervisors to escalate a resolution -- we obviously want the original reservation reinstated. The only suggestion has been to wait until we're on board and cancellations may (or may not) happen. Not sure that we're willing to take that chance. I feel terrible that we may not be able to include the 4th couple at our table. It's also unlikely at this point that there's another evening we can find that we haven't already booked, or with availability. Our anticipated enjoyable evening together has left a bad taste without touching a fork. If anyone else has had experience with this issue, I'd be grateful for assistance.

Don't go crazy about it. While it is true that the larger tables are at a premium, there are a number of other, smaller tables which may be easily reconfigured.

This happen to us on a cruise we just got off, of course Oceania said it was are fault. Keep pushing don't wait till you get on the ship that's what we should have done. If fact this all happened because Oceania asked if we would move to a different date because they had an incentive group taking over the restaurant that night. When I said that would be OK, they thank me and said they would send a bottle of wine for working with them. Ended up, table for 8 when to a table for 6 and no wine ever showed up. But I was told this was my mistake and Oceania would "NEVER" as me to change a reservation once I made it. And get it in writing to be safe.

Rick

Ventura. : We had exactly the same thing yesterday. We had three restaurants booked with my sis and bro in law joining us. They then booked the Toscana for themselves and this wiped out the three existing bookings with us.

Fortunately Oceania UK were extremely helpful this morning and they managed to reinstate the original reservations.

There is obviously a glitch in the system. If you press 'cancel the reservation' it would cancel everyone, but this glitch leaves the original guests still in the booking.

When you have gone to the trouble to sort out dining arrangements it is quite upsetting when it all goes wrong through no fault of your own.

Just thought I would respond so you know it was not anything you did wrong!

When we cruised to Alaska with two other couples, because we were in a concierge cabin, I was able to make our two specialty reservations early, inviting the other couples to join our table.

When I did this, I was told by the O representative I spoke with, that by inviting the other couples, they were using their allotted specialty reservation by joining our party, and could make no further reservations.

Is it possible that when one of the couples went in and made arrangements for their night at Polo, the system kicked them from your reservation so they could have the Polo reservation, reducing your number to six and the smaller table?

I, unfortunately, am the one "booted" from the reservation mentioned above. We are most unhappy with this situation; especially with the way we have been treated by Oceania. A supervisor was going to see what he could do. So far...nothing!!!

Edited by jewags

I, unfortunately, am the one "booted" from the reservation mentioned above. We are most unhappy with this situation; especially with the way we have been treated by Oceania. A supervisor was going to see what he could do. So far...nothing!!!

I'm sorry that you feel mistreated, but the fact that you don't speak to Alaskaca's point makes me wonder...

Were you aware that the reservation that Ventura had made would be counted against your guaranteed number of reservations, or were you operating under the premise that it would be "in addition to" your reservations?

When we cruised to Alaska with two other couples, because we were in a concierge cabin, I was able to make our two specialty reservations early, inviting the other couples to join our table.

When I did this, I was told by the O representative I spoke with, that by inviting the other couples, they were using their allotted specialty reservation by joining our party, and could make no further reservations.

Is it possible that when one of the couples went in and made arrangements for their night at Polo, the system kicked them from your reservation so they could have the Polo reservation, reducing your number to six and the smaller table?

We were well aware when setting up the reservation and inviting guests, that this would count as their Toscana booking. I confirmed this with Oceania at the time. They were still eligible to book the Polo Grill. Really appreciate the Cruise Critic support and realize that this seems not to be an isolated situation. Oceania has a problem, and they just won't admit it.

In our case we are all in PH Suites and are permitted to book four restaurants. There would be no reason for the 'system' to cancel anyone off a reservation. Our friends were removed from all three of the original bookings as our 'guests' when they made their fourth reservation through their own account.

Let's be real about this, Oceania has a problem with communications and follow thur---however if you talk to someone in management in Miami you may very well hear that they don't make mistakes.........it was most likely you! Really

Rick

I'm sorry that you feel mistreated, but the fact that you don't speak to Alaskaca's point makes me wonder...

Were you aware that the reservation that Ventura had made would be counted against your guaranteed number of reservations, or were you operating under the premise that it would be "in addition to" your reservations?

Yes, JimandStan, we were well aware that Ventura's reservation counted as our Toscana reservation.It was the fact that after our Polo Grill reservation was made, our Toscana disappeared!!

Sounds like there is a 'hitch in the get-along' when it comes to reservations in the specialties.

Two cruises on Oceania. Last year in an A1 and this year in a PH1, so I don't have a long history. However....I have found that Oceania is nothing but helpful when I have encountered any problems.

Good luck in getting this sorted out. I'm sure that if there is a system problem, Oceania isn't enjoying what is happening, and with a little calm this will get worked out.

I probably am considered one of Oceania's "cheerleaders", but even so I can admit when there are problems.

We've had some dining reservation glitches as well, usually when we set up the reservation and invited others as they became eligible. But we have a contact at Oceania who has always cleared the problems easily.

You do need to pay attention to the status of your reservations because as I have discovered -- things can change unexpectedly!

It's more of a problem, I think, when you want one of the larger tables.

Mura

Oceania has a very good reputation for customer service. Their reputation for online programming is not as stellar. I am hopeful that one will correct the other;)

It will take a bit of effort and patience on both sides to work this out. If all tables of 8 are now full at this restaurant, are you willing to move the entire party to another specialty restaurant or choose another evening? Instead of telling Oceania they must "boot" another table that is now booked, is it possible to be flexible? I find that offering alternate solutions to a problem can be helpful.

I previously trained customer service phone personnel. They may not offer a replacement reservation if they believe you only will not be satisfied with any other date/time/venue. In that case they will just apologize they they are unable to resolve your issue.

I am certain they can not just "bump" another table and reinstate your previous reservation. You may be able to ask Oceania that you all receive an extra specialty reservation in a venue with a table for 8 that is still open for your cruise. I understand this is inconvenient and the logistics of 4 couples comes into play.

Oceania has a very high return rate for cruisers. The crossing I just finished had over 2/3 repeat cruisers. I believe Oceania would like you to enjoy your cruise and resolve this issue for you. I look forward to hearing the outcome on this sight. More often than not a thread like this garners many responses and Oceania finds a solution acceptable to the original poster.

Good luck

Edited by dundeene

Thank you to Oceania for responding so favorably to a problem created by a computer glitch. We appreciate your efforts!:)

Excellent result! More importantly, let's hope Oceania manage to sort out the glitch a s a p.

We too have been affected by the instability of the web based dining reservation system - most recently when we had all our six reservations sorted (dining alone plus a couple of meals with friends). We were invited to join a friend's birthday group and so I canceled one of our solo bookings online so we had a free reservation - and it dropped out all our group bookings!

So now with O's help I am trying to re-instate them but the preferred times etc have been re-allocated - so it's a bit of a muddle. O has sort of fixed one up - we four friends are now sharing with another couple on a table for six instead of four (we are to try and correct this once onboard), and I'm still waiting on their 'fix' on the other reservation.

Annoying

We were well aware when setting up the reservation and inviting guests, that this would count as their Toscana booking. I confirmed this with Oceania at the time. They were still eligible to book the Polo Grill. Really appreciate the Cruise Critic support and realize that this seems not to be an isolated situation. Oceania has a problem, and they just won't admit it.

Dear Ventura,

I apologize for the frustration that you have had with making your online dining arrangements. Our technology team has found the glitch causing this problem and will be fixing it as soon as possible. If you would kindly provide me with the sailing that you are on and your stateroom number, we will do everything we can to rectify the dining issue.

KSK

We are grateful that our situation was resolved, but it wasn't without some aggravation and finger pointing that should never have happened. We persisted in our stance that the original reservation should be reinstated. It wasn't our fault that our table was downsized and one couple disappeared. Forums such as this, are a powerful tool for determining if others have experienced similar problems - which appears to be the case. Through Cruise Critic the message gets out and the cruise lines do take notice. Perhaps the whole specialty dining program needs to be revamped. On our previous Oceania cruise, we met other couples that we would have liked to include in our existing reservations which had been made long before departure. As previously mentioned, there are few larger tables so rearranging and finding availability was a hassle. It was easier to find evenings where none of us were booked in specialties and head to the main dining room. Thanks again to those who responded to my post and supported our efforts.