Excursions in Alaska

Invincible

This will be our first time in Alaska and we're uncertain of what will be available on the dock as opposed to the ship excursions which are invariably quite expensive. Got caught out in the South Pacific last year with the ship saying nothing would be available on shore only to find much more reasonable and equal tours available when we did go ashore. We are from the UK so this is quite an adventure for us and haven't spoken to anyone who's already been, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This will be our first time in Alaska and we're uncertain of what will be available on the dock as opposed to the ship excursions which are invariably quite expensive. Got caught out in the South Pacific last year with the ship saying nothing would be available on shore only to find much more reasonable and equal tours available when we did go ashore. We are from the UK so this is quite an adventure for us and haven't spoken to anyone who's already been, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Having been to Alaska several times, my suggestion would be to book your excursions in advance rather than waiting to find something on the dock. Whether you opt for cruise line excursions or private excursions is something you can decide after researching and comparing the offerings of both. Other posts on this forum give sources for your research.

Depends on what you want to do. For example, in Juneau if you want to go to Mendenhall Glacier or take the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts, you can easily get tickets for both when you get off the ship.

Depends on which ports you're visiting, the excursion, time of year, how many other ships are in port that day. And how important is that activity; how disappointed will you be if it's sold out? There are many activities that don't require a reservation and cost very little ... the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier, the public bus to Totem Bight park in Ketchikan, hike to the falls and the Goldrush Museum in Skagway,

Many people use independent vendors, not because they're cheaper but because they can get a better experience; fewer people and maybe more time. ie 10 people on a whale watching excursion as opposed to 200.

Many of the well known vendors will be booked months or even a year in advance. If you want to rent a car in Skagway to drive to the Yukon, there may or may not be availability on your arrival.

You may find a great deal and a great experience from a vendor on the pier; on the other hand he may be a fly by night with a run down boat and little experience.

Personally if I'm going to invest the money into a cruise to Alaska and it's a once in a lifetime trip; I'll do the research and reserve excursions I want to do, with vendors I want to use. And then I'll have a back up plan in case any of those excursions are weathered out.

Here's a similar thread to yours: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2052358

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks for the help so far (more is always welcome) I forgot to add we are sailing on HAL Zuiderdam from Vancouver on September 20th, which I think is more or less the end of the Alaska season and visiting Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan

Thanks for the help so far (more is always welcome) I forgot to add we are sailing on HAL Zuiderdam from Vancouver on September 20th, which I think is more or less the end of the Alaska season and visiting Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan

We booked a float plane to Taku Lodge salmon bake in Juneau through our ship, rented a green jeep in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake (easy drive), and booked a private Taxi Cab tour in Ketchikan for 6 (priced per vehicle per hour, not per person). Have fun planning!!;):D

So what is your question at this point?

- do you want to know IF people have had success choosing a vendor at the dock?

- or do you want suggestions for independent vendors ?

There are quite a few trip reports from HAL in this link for 'the 2013 trip reports'. Go to reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline/ship. There aren't any for a sailing as late as yours but the reports are very detailed so maybe the information will help you with your excursions. Your's is a REALLY late sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43107527#post43107527

Edited by mapleleaves

WHAT tours are you interested in? Hopefully you have narrowed down your interests and have already chosen? Alaska isn't the place to start your decisions at the dock. Time is already too short and it's not the Caribbean.

Frankly a "necessary" tour with your ship excursion will be Tracy Arm, otherwise, most of Holland American sailings DO NOT go in the fjords. So, if you didn't know this, a decision you need to make.

Once you decide WHAT your tours are going to be, if you repost, it can be determined, if you need to book in advance or not.

Edited by Budget Queen

Skagway maybe this https://www.wpyr.com/

Ketchikan http://www.ketchikanhelicopters.com/helitours.htm

Juneau http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/tours/combo-best/

We also have been on a cruise through French Polynesia, and found that at many of the ports there were a number of independent vendors almost fighting for your business and in some ports very willing to negotiate. While in the Caribbean and at some European ports there are also independent vendors offering great deals as compared to ship sponsored excursions, in Alaska, while the independent operators will be less expensive than the ship sponsored ones, don't expect the incredible price differential which you found in French Polynesia.