Dress code in Russia

I apologise if I've used incorrect area to ask this question.

Please can anyone who has experienced Moscow and St Petersburg advise on expected mode of dress in these cities. It's easy in Caribbean, Med, Australia etc, but not too sure about most things to do with Russia, as a first time visitor.

Thanks in advance. :)

When we were there most wore long pants no bare shoulders

not sure if it like other areas when entering churches where you need to be more modestly dressed

We try to dress conservatively when in Europe

YMMV

When we were there last month we wore long pants. We also wore sweaters/sweatshirts, raincoats, waterproof shoes, and even gloves!:rolleyes: Hopefully you won't need quite as much protection from the elements!:p

We visited St. Petersburg last July. The first day had a visit to an active Orthodox church and I wore a top with 3/4 length sleeves and below-the-knee capris and I was fine. It's not an issue for places like the Church of Spilled Blood or Sts. Peter and Paul, as they are not active worship sites. I would describe most dress as casual but conservative.

Thanks for reply. I thought we ought to dress less touristy here, but want to be comfortable if the weather is good and warm. Will keep slightly more covered than usual.

Do you know if men/women wear shorts ever (knee length rather than short shorts)?

As expected. Will dress less casually, though would like to know if men/women wear shorts (longer type)

The phrase "historic weather average" is your friend when asking questions about weather and clothing. Here's a URL with the monthly averages for St. Petersburg, your likely destination:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=43205487

If you visit on a day that equals the highest temperature ever recorded, you might be interested in wearing longer shorts. If you visit on a typical day in St. Petersburg, I doubt shorts -- even longer ones -- will have any appeal.

Style-wise, shorts are very much an American thing and, generally, are not part of the wardrobe of Europeans for touring, especially in city locations.

I know many of our European posters who add so much to this site, have said a few times that shorts are worn in their cities. But, just from general knowledge, more Europeans where long pants than shorts. My guess would be about 20-1 pants vs. shorts.

Same as the white running shoes thing. seems that also is an American thing, but hey, I wear what I got and what I am most comfortable in.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for reply. I thought we ought to dress less touristy here, but want to be comfortable if the weather is good and warm. Will keep slightly more covered than usual.

Do you know if men/women wear shorts ever (knee length rather than short shorts)?

Our private guide at the Vatican had on the longer capri length pants..so they are fine.

As expected. Will dress less casually, though would like to know if men/women wear shorts (longer type)

Women more so than men. For the most part, unless it's record-breaking heat, a guy wearing above-the-knee shorts in the city center of Moscow or St. Petersburg will likely attract stares. If it's really hot, at least stick to Bermuda shorts, they are more culturally acceptable. Don't wear shorts if you're going to a major museum, such as the Hermitage or the Kremlin Armoury.

visited an active Russia orthodox church last week, the guide said she would have to wear a head covering as she was of orthodox faith, but not required for women who were not orthodox

Technically true, but the problem is it's not apparent who's orthodox and who's not, so can provoke challenge, plus some will be unhappy at not respecting the custom, and being different.

We were there last month and the first day was so hot I wish I wore shorts and the second day was so cold I wished I had a parka. Basically I made it through with long light pants and a golf shirt. Marla work blue jeans and a nice sweater. The sweater go way too hot when we were in the Hermitage. We never ran into the 'cover your head' scenario but she had a scarf just in case. No matter what you wear you will still look like a tourist - so just enjoy yourself and be comfortable.

One thing about touring St. Petersburg - it is a long hard pair of days - above all dress comfortable.

Have fun.

I apologise if I've used incorrect area to ask this question.

Please can anyone who has experienced Moscow and St Petersburg advise on expected mode of dress in these cities. It's easy in Caribbean, Med, Australia etc, but not too sure about most things to do with Russia, as a first time visitor.

Thanks in advance. :)

I was there in May and it was 29 degC both days we (a group of 6 Ausssie's and 4 Canadians) were there, and and we wore a mixture of clothes. Knee length shorts, long pants (men and women) and capri pants and T-shirts. Our local tour company had already answered my question about dress code when I booked, saying basically we could wear anything. Our guide told us we didn't have to cover our heads in churches - most we visited were museums anyway. I think do what you feel respectfully comfortable with as far as churches are concerned but make sure to wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Make sure you take a back up battery for your camera, carry water and use sun block just in case you have fantastic weather as we did. The day after we left it was 12deg!