upgrade at check-in

babs135

Never personally known anyone been given a free upgrade at check-in but have heard stories and I am sure there has been but if you ask for upgrade they will charge you the same as when you booked your cruise and not be free. If it was that easy everybody would ask and there would be a rush to be first in the check-in queue when it opened.

Last Christmas on Island, shortly after boarding, we found ourselves number five in the queue at the Elite/Suite line at reception (we had gone to book the Ultimate Ship's Tour)

All those in front were trying to get upgraded, including one gentleman who was looking for an upsell at a discount, to a suite and all were unsuccessful.

Unfortunately the man looking to move to a suite became quite aggressive when he was told the 'ship was full' and tried to insist that they MUST have at least one available as he KNEW it was company policy to always hold some of EVERY category back in case of problems which meant there must be one available. When the receptionist refused to budge he then demanded, I think unsuccessfully, to see the head of the department.

I say 'think' unsuccessfully, because the matter was taking so long that they moved those of us waiting behind him a new line and I never saw him at breakfast in Sabatini's.

Has anyone been offered an upgrade at check-in? Would it be worth asking if there were any available ( free of course :D)

Very rarely you might get upgraded like this because a problem has suddenly be discovered with your allocated cabin but it would be most unusual.

I'm fairly sure that almost without exception cabins are allocated at least two weeks before sailing and it would simply be impossible to make sudden changes at such short notice except in the most exceptional of cases and for operational reasons.

Edited by AchileLauro

I always wonder-when I see people at reception shouting and getting annoyed etc etc-you get the picture- what they think they look like.

Do any of us behind them think ooh yes totally agree with you..

Indeed. Also, you will not catch bees with vinegar. Nobody is going to do a favour for the guy shouting and spraying spit in their face.

It once happened to us on Princess tho'.... because the cabin we were supposed to be in had a problem - (I later learned from another member of staff there was faeces on the carpet that they couldn't replace in time- nice I know) but it wasn't a special upgrade - one mini suite to another more mid ship mini suite... but 'technically' it was an upgrade... I did try for more but they told me that that was the best they could do as the ship was full...

P&O , like every other cruise line sail Full pretty much all the Time.

They have to keep a few ( and it really is a few ) Cabins free to cover issues.

Moving people about is never popular for anyone They simply won't do it, and quite correctly so, unless there is a bloody good reason.

Screaming and shouting is never a good reason !

I've had upgrade at check in but was on Cunard, cruise card wouldn't open door but did open original cabin also luggage sent to original, all soon sorted though.

Sent from my iPad

We got upgraded at check-in when we sailed on Oceana 2 years ago but it was only to the next grade up (the deck above our balcony cabin). One of our cases still hadn't been delivered to our 'new' cabin by 6pm - hubby found it outside our 'old' cabin!

We met someone on our last cruise who asked for an upgrade from a mini-suite to a suite on a World cruise and got it. They asked for a similar upgrade on the cruise we were on in March but were unsuccessful this time. This was confirmed by our butler who was the same one on that World cruise.